Looking at getting married in Zante in 2020. Looking for practical help/advise

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi
    My partner and i are looking at getting married in aug/sept 2020.
    We both have been married before and we dont want a register office wedding. We would love to get married somewhere like Mauritius on a tropical beach but as we want our families there Mauritius isn't practical. So we are thinking about Zante but were open to similar areas/places. We want it to be on a beach or cove or at least overlooking one. We want to do it so it can be incorporated into a holiday for our family's. So what im asking is if anyone has practical advise or has done similar themselves or can maybe point out pitfalls to look for or money saving ideas that would help.
    Thank you
    Richard W

Will it actually work out any cheaper to pay for all your family to come on holiday than to get married in the UK? I imagine the flight costs for all your guests alone will run into thousands.
  • Gavin83 wrote: »
    Will it actually work out any cheaper to pay for all your family to come on holiday than to get married in the UK? I imagine the flight costs for all your guests alone will run into thousands.

I was under the impression that the guests would be paying for themselves.

Unless it was very close family or someone I would walk over hot coals for, then I wouldn't attend but wait for the usual party once you'd got back home
  • Do what suits you and your other half best.

If they are close family and you give them over a years notice I'm sure they can save. If they can't afford to save then so be it.

It's a lovely place it's not like you are picking some obscure place. I'm sure plenty of people would like to go there on holiday and I doubt people have made holiday plans already for over a year and a half away.

I'm also sure that flights and hotels aren't too expensive.

Those that "can't afford it" or don't want to afford it so be it. As long as you enjoy the day that's the main thing.

You will never please everyone by your decision but it's you and your partners day and you can be as selfish as you want. Just don't expect everyone else to be happy.
  • Retireby40 wrote: »
    Do what suits you and your other half best.

If they are close family and you give them over a years notice I'm sure they can save. If they can't afford to save then so be it.

It's a lovely place it's not like you are picking some obscure place. I'm sure plenty of people would like to go there on holiday and I doubt people have made holiday plans already for over a year and a half away.

Those that "can't afford it" or don't want to afford it so be it. As long as you enjoy the day that's the main thing.

You will never please everyone by your decision but it's you and your partners day and you can be as selfish as you want. Just don't expect everyone else to be happy.

I would agree with this totally had you added but if they chose not to or are unable to (after all I'm not fully aware of family or friends financial position) save or simply don't wish to come, don't have a hissy fit
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Wedding insurance!
  • I was assuming that the original poster would be in some form understanding if someone had a genuine reason.

If however said family members have plenty of money and say no we aren't coming because we prefer a week in x location as opposed to Zante, while I wouldn't have a hissy fit I would probably lose interest in that person. I'm talking about close family and friends here.
  • Retireby40 wrote: »
    Do what suits you and your other half best.

Sums up the problem with modern weddings very nicely.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Retireby40 wrote: »
    I was assuming that the original poster would be in some form understanding if someone had a genuine reason.

If however said family members have plenty of money and say no we aren't coming because we prefer a week in x location as opposed to Zante, while I wouldn't have a hissy fit I would probably lose interest in that person. I'm talking about close family and friends here.

Really?
    I could afford to travel to the other side of the world i.e. I have plenty of money but I really don't see why I should spend that money on someone who wants to get married halfway round the world.
    Way before the bride and groom 'lose interest' in me, I'd have lost interest in them.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 8:09PM
    A few years ago, relative of OH's got married on Zante. Family (both sides, about 20 altogether) all booked a week's holiday at same apartment block (OH and I had 2 weeks), each paid for themselves and sometimes did things together, sometimes our own thing. Wedding was mid holiday so enjoyed time with groom and bride to be before they went off on honeymoon (another island). A very enjoyable time had by all!

Bride and groom had 2nd "reception" in UK for those who couldn't come to Zante and also invited those who did go to Zante.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • A few years ago, relative of OH's got married on Zante. Family (both sides, about 20 altogether) all booked a week's holiday at same apartment block (OH and I had 2 weeks), each paid for themselves and sometimes did things together, sometimes our own thing. Wedding was mid holiday so enjoyed time with groom and bride to be before they went off on honeymoon (another island). A very enjoyable time had by all!

That's ok if Zante is your idea of a good holiday within your budget and you would be happy sharing your holiday with a load of extended family and the couple's friends!

I would literally never book a holiday to Zante, not everybody likes sun sea and sand, I get ill in too hot weather!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure