Should Shops Be Shut Boxing Day?

My local Home Bargains shop is closed Boxing Day, they say so the staff can have a break and be with their families. I love this idea, I don't see why people need to go shopping (that isn't for food) on Boxing day, the staff need a break too!!

I remember my mum telling me about a customer who came into her shop and asked if they were open Christmas Day, she said of course not and he replied "well what if I need more wine?" :eek:

Do you think all shops should follow suit? Or do you think they should open for Boxing Day? :j

Comments

• if ALL the staff said no to working Boxing Day then the shops would have no choice.
  • No need at all for any shop to be open Boxing Day.
  • No need at all for any shop to be open Boxing Day.

My local shop is owned and run by a Muslim family. Should I tell them not to open over Christmas?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Ordinarily I would be on the side of family life, but given it's actually become quite common for certain shops to be open on Boxing Day and that the country can now not afford to stop trading for a second, I say throw those doors wide open.

The arguments re: other religions are specious. Christmas is the national holiday and the only two days when most trading ceases in England are Christmas Day and Easter Sunday.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Exactly right Eric. I also think it is funny that the people who say shopworkers need the break seem to be quite happy with all sorts of other groups working, after all doctors, nurses, hospitality workers, the police, the fire service. Presumably they don't deserve any time off. Some might be more essential than others but lots of sectors will be working but it seems like only shop workers get the sympathy.

We don't need shops open every day, let's say we have shops open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Perfectly adequate and why shouldn't they have weekends with their families?

I've got a novel idea, why don't we let businesses make business decisions.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No need at all for any shop to be open Boxing Day.

Lots of reasons why someone might want something on boxing day. I dont see a need for them to shut, customers want to buy, staff are willing to work and the shop is happy to open so whilst the need might be questionable, the desire for shops to be open is there. As such theyll always open.
  • Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My local shop is owned and run by a Muslim family. Should I tell them not to open over Christmas?
    They can open if they *want* to but they don't need to.
    Not even wrong
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Surely this should be a commercial decision to be made by the retailers?
  • Exactly right Eric. I also think it is funny that the people who say shopworkers need the break seem to be quite happy with all sorts of other groups working, after all doctors, nurses, hospitality workers, the police, the fire service. Presumably they don't deserve any time off. Some might be more essential than others but lots of sectors will be working but it seems like only shop workers get the sympathy.

We don't need shops open every day, let's say we have shops open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Perfectly adequate and why shouldn't they have weekends with their families?

I've got a novel idea, why don't we let businesses make business decisions.

Yeah it's not like these are services we need or anything, you can go without shopping for some new boots for a day or two but you can live without the nurses and paramedics.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yeah it's not like these are services we need or anything, you can go without shopping for some new boots for a day or two but you can live without the nurses and paramedics.

Wheres a nurse or paramedic going to get their coffee or dinner from?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure