PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Fixtures and fittings advice

Hi, when I rented my flat the lights in the bathroom and en suite were in, now the bulbs have gone and the agent is saying it’s my responsibility to replace is this correct or are they classed as fixtures and fittings as they were in when I moved in.

Comments

• the_quick
    the_quick Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I believe you have to replace light bulbs and such.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi, when I rented my flat the lights in the bathroom and en suite were in, now the bulbs have gone and the agent is saying it’s my responsibility to replace is this correct or are they classed as fixtures and fittings as they were in when I moved in.

Not sure what the legal view is but I can't understand why you wouldn't make sure there are working light bulbs when you leave the property, if there were working light bulbs when you moved in (were they listed on the inventory?)

Regardless, it seems a really trivial thing for either side to be getting worked up about. From a financial side, anyway. As a point of principle though, I can maybe understand it.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    bulbs are usually a tenant responsibility.

They are chargable from your deposit if not returned to the condition on the check in inventory...ie if working on check in must be working on check out
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    As a tenant, it is normal/expected for you to replace light bulbs when they blow.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    dunroving wrote: »
    Not sure what the legal view is but I can't understand why you wouldn't make sure there are working light bulbs when you leave the property, if there were working light bulbs when you moved in (were they listed on the inventory?)

Regardless, it seems a really trivial thing for either side to be getting worked up about. From a financial side, anyway. As a point of principle though, I can maybe understand it.

Well it depends on the bulbs and light, incadescents which im fairly sure you cant buy anymore where next to nothing so id imagine much less of a problem.

If the landlord put in edison bulbs or phillips led bulbs (any high end branded bulbs) it can soon add up.

My living room light fitting requires 5 of these...

https://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/product-type/led-bulbs/g9/crompton-3w-led-g9-sunset-dim-2800k-2200k-5737/

(theyre £8.19 a pop and i bought the cheepo one off ebay that lasted all of 8 seconds and sacked it off and went back with the 20 watters)

And then theres another 6 of them between two bedrooms. At that point id be more reluctant to fork out for some bulbs.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Well it depends on the bulbs and light, incadescents which im fairly sure you cant buy anymore where next to nothing so id imagine much less of a problem.

If the landlord put in edison bulbs or phillips led bulbs (any high end branded bulbs) it can soon add up.

My living room light fitting requires 5 of these...

https://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/product-type/led-bulbs/g9/crompton-3w-led-g9-sunset-dim-2800k-2200k-5737/

(theyre £8.19 a pop and i bought the cheepo one off ebay that lasted all of 8 seconds and sacked it off and went back with the 20 watters)

And then theres another 6 of them between two bedrooms. At that point id be more reluctant to fork out for some bulbs.

That's why, when I got my current house rewired, I removed the dozens of fancy spotlights, all different sizes, and all poorly installed, with a central pendant. I'm a MSE!
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Bulbs are consumable items. If you chose not to use them (ie went to bed at sun-down or used your own torch) the bulbs would not need replacing.

If they were provided by the landlord in a working condition at the start of the tenancy they should be left by the tenant in a working condition at the end of the tenanc.

Can't actually believe it needs saying!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Your landlord is not going to pop round every time you need a bulb changed.
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Your landlord is not going to pop round every time you need a bulb changed.

According to some friends who work in Housing dept of our local council quite a few council house tenants think the council should....:mad:
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The only time we didn't replace the light bulbs in a rented property was when they were spots in a kitchen and we physically couldn't get them out. Landlord had to get an electrician out to smash the bulbs so he could get them out of the fittings and then replace the fittings.

If you don't want to buy loads of bulbs then replace one (if you don't mind the room being a bit dingee) and then just replace the rest when you leave.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport