PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Comments

• BISCUIT1
    BISCUIT1 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello Land Registry rep, I have a query I am hoping you can help with. I am buying some farm land adjacent to my current house/land and in the course of the process I have established that there is agricultural use access on to the land across a track that has since fallen into disuse. The current owners never used it and to be honest probably forgot it existed as they didn't need to use it but it would be very useful for me to start using just for haymaking time. The problem is that the track at the head of the access on the title deeds has in, I would say the last 5 years been fenced of by the adjoining house and they are now using it as their garden. They have apparently told others they bought it off the council but according to the council they have never owned it and it is unregistered from what I can see on the LR maps and it certainly isn't included in the houses title plan. Once the sale is complete I intend to go and see them and try the tea and cake approach but if this doesn't work and they don't agree to remove the fencing and allow the access I am entitled to across the unregistered land how do I go about achieving this? (for info the current owners will not entertain sorting this out prior to sale due to their circumstances so I accept I am buying this as is and if I get the access re-instated it will be a bonus if that makes sense) If the land was registered I appreciate it would be a civil matter with the owner but in this case the land is not registered and they appear to have taken it informally. Many Thanks.
  • Tink_x
    Tink_x Posts: 42 Forumite
    How long does it generally take to upgrade a house from good to absolute? My solicitor said it’s still waiting on enquiries from the land registry. It’s been a couple of weeks now.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,776 Organisation Representative
    BISCUIT1 wrote: »
    Hello Land Registry rep, I have a query I am hoping you can help with. I am buying some farm land adjacent to my current house/land and in the course of the process I have established that there is agricultural use access on to the land across a track that has since fallen into disuse. The current owners never used it and to be honest probably forgot it existed as they didn't need to use it but it would be very useful for me to start using just for haymaking time. The problem is that the track at the head of the access on the title deeds has in, I would say the last 5 years been fenced of by the adjoining house and they are now using it as their garden. They have apparently told others they bought it off the council but according to the council they have never owned it and it is unregistered from what I can see on the LR maps and it certainly isn't included in the houses title plan. Once the sale is complete I intend to go and see them and try the tea and cake approach but if this doesn't work and they don't agree to remove the fencing and allow the access I am entitled to across the unregistered land how do I go about achieving this? (for info the current owners will not entertain sorting this out prior to sale due to their circumstances so I accept I am buying this as is and if I get the access re-instated it will be a bonus if that makes sense) If the land was registered I appreciate it would be a civil matter with the owner but in this case the land is not registered and they appear to have taken it informally. Many Thanks.

I am assuming that 'agricultural use access' relates to the type of land use managed by the local authority. Namely one that is not capabale of ebing registered but attaches to the land through it's use for agricultural purposes. If so then that would not be something we could comment on but presumably the council can advise although it would be legal advice needed as well if there was potential for any dispute.

The fencing off of the land is a separate issue and one which does then relate to the registered details. If the land is unregistered then any claim by the adjoining house owners would be applied for, after several more years, in accordance with our Practice Guide 5

The tea and cake scenario is a sound one in my experience provided the neighbours are amenable and like cake. The approach seems to be that you are not looking to challenge their claim or use as a garden but you wish to ensure you can still use the access point. If so then that is the key point to get legal advice on as does your access impact on their claim and how is the agricultural use right affected by their claim.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    Tink_x wrote: »
    How long does it generally take to upgrade a house from good to absolute? My solicitor said it’s still waiting on enquiries from the land registry. It’s been a couple of weeks now.

All a question of what those 'enquiries' are really

Our PG 42 section 3 refers to how a Good leasehold might be ugraded to Absolute and I assume it is this upgrade to which you refer.

The upgrade is essentially reliant on curing the apparent 'defect' in the title as applied for on first registration. That may not lead to us making enquiries of third parties so it may be worth asking the solicitor to clarify what they mean by 'enquiries' here.

Happy to take a look if you quote me the title number involved?
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • BISCUIT1
    Thank you for your reply. This is what the Property Register says:
    "The land has the benefit of the following rights granted by a Conveyance of the land tinted blue on the filed plan dated 28/02/1930 made between ** and **.:
    Together with the benefit of (so far as the vendor can lawfully grant the same but not further or otherwise) full and free right for the Purchaser and his successors in title owner or owners for the time being of the two fields of land firstly and secondly hereinbefore described or either of them in common with the vendor and his successors in title and all other persons entitled or to become entitled thereto or to thereof of passing and trespassing at all times over and along the roadway coloured yellow on the said plan and so as to connect the said fields of land hereby conveyed with the main road from ** to ** but so that such roadway shall be used for agricultural purposes only in connection with the said two fields of land first and secondly herein before described"

The first part of the yellow track is now fenced off by the house and my access would effectively stop them using it as it it would require a tractor driving through what they are now using as their garden but you can see on Google earth history it was until about 5 years ago a maintained track the width of a tractor.Their claiming the land seems to be negating what i am entitled to on the deeds unless i am mistaken so would that affect their claim to the land and if so how do i need to proceed with this? If someone takes unregistered land is it only up to an individual affected by it to challenge it and if so how would i get them to remove their fence? Sorry for the long post! :)
  • Tink_x
    Tink_x Posts: 42 Forumite
    Not sure if this is the title number but MS587698 ?
  • Land_Registry
    BISCUIT1 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. This is what the Property Register says:
    "The land has the benefit of the following rights granted by a Conveyance of the land tinted blue on the filed plan dated 28/02/1930 made between ** and **.:
    Together with the benefit of (so far as the vendor can lawfully grant the same but not further or otherwise) full and free right for the Purchaser and his successors in title owner or owners for the time being of the two fields of land firstly and secondly hereinbefore described or either of them in common with the vendor and his successors in title and all other persons entitled or to become entitled thereto or to thereof of passing and trespassing at all times over and along the roadway coloured yellow on the said plan and so as to connect the said fields of land hereby conveyed with the main road from ** to ** but so that such roadway shall be used for agricultural purposes only in connection with the said two fields of land first and secondly herein before described"

The first part of the yellow track is now fenced off by the house and my access would effectively stop them using it as it it would require a tractor driving through what they are now using as their garden but you can see on Google earth history it was until about 5 years ago a maintained track the width of a tractor.Their claiming the land seems to be negating what i am entitled to on the deeds unless i am mistaken so would that affect their claim to the land and if so how do i need to proceed with this? If someone takes unregistered land is it only up to an individual affected by it to challenge it and if so how would i get them to remove their fence? Sorry for the long post! :)

BISCUIT1 - many thanks. So it is a genuine registered easement/right that refers to the right of access for agricultural use. Nothing to do with local authority therefore.

It may or may not affect their claim as and when made but you would need legal advice on that aspect and especially with regards how you should approach the matter

We can never say what the outcome of an application will be before it is made. We can only make this decision after all the evidence has been produced and considered. We may also contact adjoining landowners to confirm/clarify the claim and their views.

Challenging a claim is invariably down to the actual landowner but those with rights over it or who can prove an 'interest' may also be able to challenge the position. However in this example their claim is not registered and won't be for several years so it is very much legal advice you need now to ensure any steps taken are legally sound and sufficient to ensure your right of access is preserved
  • Land_Registry
    Tink_x wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the title number but MS587698 ?

It is but I don't think that's the right one as it relates to a small parcel of land and not a property.
  • BISCUIT1
    Many thanks for your reply. I will get the sale completed and go and speak to them and see how it goes and then review-the problem is they may never make a formal claim but in the interim I still won't be able to use the access as it is fenced off. Thankyou. :)
  • Title - SY463427
    23 Ravensbourne Avenue, Stanwell, Staines, Surrey
    TW19 7SU
    Lender: Nationwide Building Society
    Registered Owner: Dean Charles Smith

Hi Land Registry,
    A restriction removal has been applied for, please can you let me know how much longer this will take to process? As we are in a rush to get this removed ASAP as my mortgage offer is going to expire within the next month!
    Regards
    Sanjeev Kamal
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport