Free online storage services

Comments

• I Drive www.idrive.com still giving 5GB free. In my experience, it works very well indeed and you can select the files and folders you want to backup or synchronise (ie you don't have to move files to one specific folder).
  • kevanf1
    kevanf1 Posts: 299 Forumite
    I'm surprised there is no mention of Linux support for some of these online storage providers. After all the Linux OS is free to download perfectly legally. It is very much like a familiar 'Windows' experience and you don't have to delve under the skin if you don't want to. I say this because I found the unbelievable 100gb free storage from Zoolz to be just that for me :( I've been using Linux Mint for years. I do not have Windows at all now. I tried to use the Zoolz offer but they do not have any Linux support at all. The file that is needed to use Zoolz (downloaded from them) will only work on Microsoft Windows or Apple OS (this is on a desktop or laptop computer, I do not know about mobile use). So Zoolz gets a zero from Kev.
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • elaphe
    elaphe Posts: 9 Forumite
    A little off piste, but what do forumites use as free service to enable email addresses to access occasional photos, short videos or large files?
  • Victor_Delta
    Victor_Delta Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 April 2017 at 3:30PM
    elaphe wrote: »
    A little off piste, but what do forumites use as free service to enable email addresses to access occasional photos, short videos or large files?
    As you say, rather off topic. However, I find www.wetransfer.com very good for files up to 2GB (no registration required, paid for service for larger files) and, of course, Dropbox is also free up to 2GB.
  • Simon_c_2
    Simon_c_2 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Hi,
    I've just had a read through the "free cloud storage" article, and it's a great article. However, online storage is not backup. Not all these services will handle multiple versions of files, so if something is "crypto-locked" the old version may not be available. If something is deleted, the online copy may be deleted too (depending on the service) And of course, if the online provider dies, you better have a 2nd backup too.
    So, the main point to my post is that "use a free online storage service to back everything up."
    is not quite as simple as it sounds.

For good online backup, you need something that can backup all the time, backup multiple versions, possibly to multiple destinations. Some of the suggestions here can be made to work as backup, but not all of them.
    Personally, I use crashplan Family (10 computers, unlimited storage, at about £6/month) but there are several others out there targeting the home market, and most have a free level too.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I agree, I've been using Zoolz for four years now and have been impressed with it - even when I needed to restore from backup.
  • spook
    spook Posts: 233 Forumite
    Minor correction to the Zoolz section of the article.
    Accessed via: Your browser, or Windows (Vista or later) or OS X (10.7 or later) programs. It also has iOS and Android apps, though these can only be used for viewing/downloading files (not backing up or uploading) with the free storage.

There doesn't seem to be any way to upload files through a browser, so you have to have Windows or OSX to upload files. So while you can technically "access" it through a browser, it's pretty much useless since you can't upload, and the article should probably make this clearer.
  • darren72
    spook wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any way to upload files through a browser, so you have to have Windows or OSX to upload files. So while you can technically "access" it through a browser, it's pretty much useless since you can't upload, and the article should probably make this clearer.

Their supplied software is meant to be used as a set it and forget it way of backing up files - which I guess is why you can't upload files manually via a browser.

It does work extremely well and for the chargeable service for 2TB it is certainly unbeatable in terms of price. I've been using them for the last 4 years and it works well.
  • spook
    spook Posts: 233 Forumite
    darren72 wrote: »
    Their supplied software is meant to be used as a set it and forget it way of backing up files - which I guess is why you can't upload files manually via a browser.

It does work extremely well and for the chargeable service for 2TB it is certainly unbeatable in terms of price. I've been using them for the last 4 years and it works well.

Yes, it's just that the wording of the article seems to indicate that it can be used for file storage via a browser (as with most cloud storage services). As this isn't possible, the service is useless for me, so I was suggesting updating the article to save others wasting their time :)
  • darren72
    spook wrote: »
    Yes, it's just that the wording of the article seems to indicate that it can be used for file storage via a browser (as with most cloud storage services). As this isn't possible, the service is useless for me, so I was suggesting updating the article to save others wasting their time :)

Agree. This is purely an cloud backup solution rather than cloud storage product - The article needs updating.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure