windows 10 takes long time to start up

2»

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    thanks for the responses, i will reply in chronological order from post 8

i cant fine the ACHI or raid option in the bios, only sata1, as you suggested i tried the cntr f10, cntl f11 trick as per the video but could not get the detailed bios screen, though now the initial blue screen with the options (e.g. press f10 to enter setup, f11 recovery etc) has disappeared
    i will have a look a the SSD, though the new 256gb ones are closer to £40 then £20 on a quick search

just done scan with defender, malware and SAS, no viruses

the bios is the latest v5.31, also W7 ran on x64

I may think about SSD though as i just clean installed W10 and set it up as its a pain to do it again, in the meantime i will use hibernate, restarts up in less than 20 secs

Then don't buy a 256GB model, buy one that costs 20 quid. You can keep the old HDD in as internal storage.

Are you stating that the BIOS setup page has disappeared altogether?
  • mr_accountant
    mr_accountant Posts: 798 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2018 at 10:36PM
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Then don't buy a 256GB model, buy one that costs 20 quid. You can keep the old HDD in as internal storage.

Are you stating that the BIOS setup page has disappeared altogether?

no not the bios, the blue information display screen at the start which remains for a couple of seconds with the shortcuts, eg esc for boot to enter, f10 to enter setup etc
    similar to 1st screenshot below
    https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/229988-hp-desktop-startup-screen-frozen-geek-squad-says-fried-motherboard.html
  • PiratePete
    PiratePete Posts: 224 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2018 at 4:32PM
    I have an old dell dimension E520 running Win7 that was taking an age to boot ie 3 1/2 mins ! Installed an SSD drive and it now boots in less than 30 seconds and zips along nicely! I had a laptop that was so slow after upgrading to windows 10 you could almost go and make a cup of tea and come back and it still hadn't booted ! Again installed an SSD and it now boots in under 30 seconds.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    My windows 10 used to take ages to load, installed a SSD and its seconds way way faster, well worth investing in one
  • mr_accountant
    mr_accountant Posts: 798 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 October 2018 at 9:58PM
    decided to purchase and install a Kingston K400 SSD 240gb and transfer all my files over to the SSD, and i will keep the HDD as backup.

The load time from restart is less than 30 seconds, with another 15 seconds to start firefox quantum,

overall worth it, and a noticeable speed improvement when starting programs (or apps as w10 now likes to call them)

whilst in the spending mode i purchased an Acer s240ybid 24" monitor for around £67 after various discounts form Ebuyer ebay, around £100 spend overall, though will recoup around £50 for the old monitor, happy days!
  • decided to purchase and install a Kingston K400 SSD 240gb and transfer all my files over to the SSD, and i will keep the HDD as backup.

The load time from restart is less than 30 seconds, with another 15 seconds to start firefox quantum,

overall worth it, and a noticeable speed improvement when starting programs (or apps as w10 now likes to call them)

whilst in the spending mode i purchased an Acer s240ybid 24" monitor for around £67 after various discounts form Ebuyer ebay, around £100 spend overall, though will recoup around £50 for the old monitor, happy days!

Well you have not really solved the problem it should not have been taking so long to start in the first place.

Has it always taken this long?

When did the problem occur and what was it like before it manifest.

I would have looked in the event viewer for clues.
  • The load time from restart is less than 30 seconds, with another 15 seconds to start firefox quantum,

Much better for Windows startup but Firefox should be pretty much instant so you've still got problems.
    only thing i can see is in device manager a few items are yellow
    nividia gt630 graphics card (though it is recognized in the display settings) it is still as yellow in device manage, tried to update driver but says latest driver is downloaded

also ide controllers and strorage controllers are yellow

And the above is where your problems lie, you shouldn't have any yellow exclamation points at all let alone on the storage controllers.

Uninstall the graphics drivers and then use the clean install option on the Nvidia install (I use AMD but I think they have similar). Don't forget to restart after uninstalling and again when reinstalling.

In device manage right click on any problem devices and uninstall, restart and let Windows install new drivers.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    If yours is a mainly Intel-based machine then you can download and install an Intel utility that will check for missing or updated drivers.

Note: the utility installs itself as a service so runs permanently in the background (with a system tray icon). After running it I used the Startup tab in Task Manager to disable it - when I next want to use it I can just enable it again.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Good stuff. DoaM is refering to this Intel utulity I believe
    https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/detect.html

Windows update. Has it completed? (I don't know if you clean installed to the SSD or imaged it from the HDD). I know you've got some old devices but always confirm that Windows update has caught up.

Firefox quantum taking 15 seconds. Do 2 timings. One, 2 mins after a reboot. Close Quantum. Open it again. How long the second time?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Good stuff. DoaM is refering to this Intel utulity I believe
    https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/detect.html

I am indeed. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing