Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emmaharris
    • By Emmaharris 20th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Emmaharris
    Flight claims company sending threatening letters
    • 20th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    Flight claims company sending threatening letters 20th Jun 17 at 2:23 PM
    Hi,
    Hoping I've posted this in the right place, if not, apologies.
    Bit of a complicated one. On return of a holiday to Costa Rica with Thompson we were told we were entitled to claim for a delay. Unfortunately although my stepmum was told to wait until we did it for her she went online and added all flight details to an online claims company she came across. ( Flight delay claims team. Based in Northants )
    She filled in most info then they asked her to fill in a power of attorney form and she decided not to carry on online. She received an email saying thanks for signing up with us and called them a couple of weeks later to say she didn't want to go ahead as it was being dealt with by my brother. On the phone they said that was ok and that would be the end of it. Fast forward to recent weeks and she is recieving letters saying she owes them nearly £1600 for ignored reminders, the work they did processing the claim etc. The are adding interest daily and adding charges for random stuff and I have no idea what to do next. They won't discuss over the phone and say they don't take phone calls. Have emailed and they are pretty much saying tough luck pay up.
    She hasn't heard anything from Thompson regarding the compensation but the two other people that claimed together officially with Thompson have had their money back already. ( no one knew she'd put any details in online as we all did ours with resolver )
    It's all a mess and we have no clue how to sort it!
    Any help or advice would be great.
    Thank you.
Page 7
    • Tracey Rice
    • By Tracey Rice 17th Oct 18, 2:02 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tracey Rice
    Defence
    Please let us know what happens..
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 17th Oct 18, 2:58 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    legal magpie
    What will happen next is that the Court will send you a Directions Questionnaire which you need to complete. One important question asks which Court you want the case to be heard in. Where the Defendant is an individual, the case will usually be heard at the Defendant's home Court but even so it is important that you specify your home Court as the Claimant may request their home Court , i.e. Northampton.
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 18th Oct 18, 1:43 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    JAM2018
    I have just read this: Vexatious Litigation

Vexatious litigation is legal action which is brought, regardless of its merits, solely to harass or subdue an adversary.
    Last edited by JAM2018; 18-10-2018 at 4:27 PM. Reason: No longer relevant
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 18th Oct 18, 4:23 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    legal magpie
    The long post about vexatious litigants is, sadly, well out of date. Nowadays we have Civil Restraint Orders. None of this has any relevance here.
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 18th Oct 18, 4:25 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Thanks for the update.
    • Tracey Rice
    • By Tracey Rice 22nd Oct 18, 6:31 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tracey Rice
    I have received my directions questionnaire, which i will return today asking for it to be heard in my local court.. Also received a mediation form `??
    What happens next does anyone know ?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 22nd Oct 18, 8:45 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Assuming that the Company also completes its DQ, the papers will be transferred to your local county Court. Once the file has been transferred, the papers will be considered by a Judge who will give directions for trial including submitting documents, witness statements etc. There will also be a hearing date. You must comply with those directions.
    • Tracey Rice
    • By Tracey Rice 23rd Oct 18, 7:13 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tracey Rice
    Thank you Legal Magpie i will keep you updated ..
    • Tracey Rice
    • By Tracey Rice 23rd Oct 18, 7:15 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tracey Rice
    Jam2018
    Any news JAM2018 on your case ?
    • Emmal1982
    • By Emmal1982 23rd Oct 18, 1:52 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Emmal1982
    Have just received my 2nd phone call from Cher at flight delay claims team asking me if we can come to a conclusion before court. Iíve asked her to send me my court papers.

Am still worried that they seem to have the wrong address for me .... should I tell them??

Iím worried that it will automatically go against me in court if Iím unable to receive the papers??
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 23rd Oct 18, 5:02 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    legal magpie
    You MUST tell them that you have moved AND give them your new address. If you don't, they are entitled to serve Court papers at your last known address and you may not get them so you will end up with a judgment against you.
    • Emmal1982
    • By Emmal1982 23rd Oct 18, 6:50 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Emmal1982
    Legal magpie I havnt moved they are just using the wrong address on the invoices they are sending me (somewhere in Australia) I have told them they are breaching GDPR laws but they seemed to ignore it ??
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 23rd Oct 18, 10:57 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    legal magpie
    So long as you have told them your correct address, this is fine. Don't bother playing games with GDPR
    • Helen_90
    • By Helen_90 27th Oct 18, 8:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helen_90
    Can you message me
    • Tracey Rice
    • By Tracey Rice 31st Oct 18, 2:01 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tracey Rice
    Would fdct have got their dq papers at the same time as me ?
    How long do i have to wait for the court to contact me ?
    • Davexmas
    • By Davexmas 31st Oct 18, 6:14 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Davexmas
    Didn't you get a deadline to return them by ? You should also have sent the completed form to FDCT ?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 31st Oct 18, 10:07 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    legal magpie
    It depends on how busy the Court is and whether there is a backlog in paperwork. Just be patient
    • Tracey Rice
    • By Tracey Rice 1st Nov 18, 6:38 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tracey Rice
    I sent the form back to the court by the date required i have sent nothing to FCDT ! I am trying to be patient i am just worried ..
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 2nd Nov 18, 11:09 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Completed and returned the paperwork, before the deadline. Just waiting to hear back.
    • A A
    • By A A 3rd Nov 18, 4:32 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    A A
    I have been dealing with FDCT since April. They have made my life hell for 6 months but there is now light at the end of the tunnel for me. If it helps anybody...... In a nutshell, I clicked on the FDCT site and clearly left a footprint. They said i had a contract, I didn't; they said they had my signature, they didn't. I asked for copies of this and 5 months later they produced a pathetic scribble on a page that was not mine. I received invoices, and threats from the delightful Cher who is the most obnoxious woman I have ever had the misfortune to speak to. Finally after months of abusive phone calls / invoices / threats I received stuff to say they were taking me to Court. The abusive calls kept coming. I sent paperwork to the Court setting out my objection when I received the CCJ notification. I sent copies of emails and a detailed statement. It was not actioned by the Court and the CCJ was granted. To cut a very long story short... They seem to rely on Northampton Court not always actioning your objection as it's a bulk centre and deal with half a million cases a year. I was left with a choice to pay a £700 bill that started at £246 or to fight it legally. I decided to fight. I ended up paying £255 to have the CCJ judgement set aside, which meant it gave me the opportunity to have a 2nd Court date and take them to Court and set out my objections. Totally unfair that I had to pay for a wrongful debt to be withdrawn but there was nothing more I could do at that stage. I would urge everybody not to pay, turn up at the Court on the date they give you.
    I was granted a 2nd Court date last month. They put the case to a local Court to me, not Northampton. A judge listened to what I had to say. I wrote a detail statement. Copied all emails and presented them to the Judge. FDCT did not turn up, but the Judge actually said 'you didn't expect them to did you'. He could see through their fraudulent behaviour. It cost me quite a bit of money but had I of turned up at the first date it wouldn't have.
    The judge set the CCJ judgement aside and wrote to the FDCT asking why they believed I owed them money and said they had to respond within a few weeks. They did not respond. I have now sent a bill to FDCT for the £255 plus loss of earnings, also itemised things like money for things being sent recorded delivery etc. and if they don't pay, I'll take them through the Court procedure. These people are bullies we need to stand up to them. Keep contacting Northampton Court, make sure they follow up on things. Don't get to the stage I did. I should of attended Northampton in the first place but relied on Northampton Court actioning things and doing the right thing but they didn't.... too many cases. I have also sent a statement to Trading Standards who are still looking into them. I have also been on BBC website to send the details to Watchdog and other consumer programmes. DON"T PAY! It's what they rely on. They beat you till you're down and cough up. I nearly did. Don't spend the money I did. Go to Court and challenge them on the date you're given. Put in a claim for your expenses. Get everything in writing. Record the delightful Cher. Block the woman on your phone. They are bullies. Tracey, if you have a Court date, ring Northampton Court as much as possible. Write a statement. Print emails. Write to Watch Dog. Stay strong and fight them. The FDCT didn't act for me, they admit they did nothing, they told lie after lie. They even got my name wrong on everything because on my phone contract my name was spelt incorrectly and back to front which is the way they have done it on all their paperwork so it proves to some point they took my details from the phone somehow. I don't know how those things work but clearly these people do. It's clear they are chancers looking to rip people off. Its very intimidating and awful and I can understand people giving in. I am also told that they bump the costs up so much as if it goes over a certain amount different bailiff rules apply. I don't really know the ins and outs of that but it figures why a £240 bill suddenly becomes over £600/700. Good Luck Tracey. You'll get there. I did and quite frankly I nearly gave in many times. I'm unsure about the rules of giving the woman at trading standards name and telephone number out online. If someone cam advise I will happily pass it on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,221Posts Today

7,903Users online

Martin's Twitter