IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN on university campus - POPLA appeal check

wangbadan
wangbadan Posts: 44 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 10 September 2018 at 5:12PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi,
I'm the keeper of a car which received three PCNs while parked on campus at a university. The driver is currently studying there. The PPC rejected my initial appeal (mitigating circs), and sadly they know who the driver is (I just followed their appeal process without checking here first).

I've complained to the university, but their complaints process takes over one month, so my POPLA time will have expired by then. I received great advice on Pepipoo, and drafted an appeal based on various templates. I was hoping someone could give it a last glance over before I submit it, but Pepipoo is very busy atm and my thread keeps getting lost.

These are the points I'm appealing on:
1. No breach of contract - the permit was valid
2. No evidence of Landowner Authority - the operator is put to strict proof of full compliance with the BPA Code of Practice
3. Inadequate signage - The signs in this car park are not prominent, clear or legible from all parking spaces
4. Unlawful charge - no ‘every 24 hour clause’

As my 28 days is running out and I'm starting to panic...I was hoping someone here might be willing to take a quick look at my appeal letter. :A

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    north8 wrote: »
    As my 28 days is running out and I'm starting to panic...I was hoping someone here might be willing to take a quick look at my appeal letter. :A

If you post it, or a link to it, I'm sure someone will help.

It's quite busy here too, so don't expect an instant response.

PoPLA codes last at least thirty days.
  • Thanks for your reply KeithP, and yes, of course :)

It's a long one, but that's what Couponmad's pinned post recommended, so I followed the advice.

I think it's almost good to go, but any final tips would be greatly appreciated, as we apparently only get one shot at this POPLA stuff. Many thanks.

Here it is (tried to post as google docs link, but site wouldn't let me)

Dear Sir or Madam

I am the registered keeper of the above vehicle and I am appealing this parking charge from First Parking LLP.

My appeal is as follows:
    • No breach of contract
    • Unlawful charge - no ‘every 24 hour clause’
    • No evidence of Landowner Authority - the operator is put to strict proof of full compliance with the BPA Code of Practice
    • Inadequate signage - The signs in this car park are not prominent, clear or legible from all parking spaces

No breach of contract

According to the landowner’s website (see below screenshot), the standard permit price is described by the words ‘yearly’, and ‘annual permit’.

I am a genuine customer of the landowner (a fulltime student of the university) and an authorised user of this car park. I purchased the permit in person in late October 2017, soon after purchasing the vehicle itself (see proof of vehicle purchase below). No additional explanation of any terms and conditions, or any alternative meanings of ‘yearly’ were provided at the point of purchase.

[NB add proof of purchase here]

It is not the responsibility of the consumer if the vendor (in this case the landowner) has a different understanding of ‘yearly’, as this difference was not brought to the attention of the consumer at the time of purchase. In any case of ambiguity in meaning, the most favourable interpretation MUST be used, as stipulated in the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

The consumer was entitled to rely on the vendor website where it clearly stated the words ‘yearly permit’. According to the description specified on the vendor website, this yearly permit was valid until October 2018, also making it valid at the time this PCN was issued. Therefore, there was no breach of contract.

In light of the above evidence, this charge is unconscionable and offends against the penalty rule which was 'plainly engaged' in the case of ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis.

The operator makes much of the Beavis case, yet they are well aware that the circumstances of the Beavis case were entirely different. Essentially, that case was about the abuse of a free, time-limited public car park where signage could be used to create a secondary contract arising from a relevant obligation and where there was a 'legitimate interest' flowing from the landowner, in charging more than could normally be pursued for trespass.

In this case, we have an authorised user using the car park appropriately and there has been no loss nor detriment caused to the owner. While the courts might hold that a large charge might be appropriate in the case of a public car park, essentially as a deterrent, there is nothing in the case to suggest that a reasonable person would accept that this 'fine' is a conscionable amount to be charged under these circumstances.

At the Supreme Court in Beavis, it was held at 14: ''…where a contract contains an obligation on one party to perform an act, and also provides that, if he does not perform it, he will pay the other party a specified sum of money, the obligation to pay the specified sum is a secondary obligation which is capable of being a penalty… ''

This is NOT a 'more complex' case by any stretch of the imagination. At 32 in the Beavis decision, it was held that a trader, in this case a parking company: ''...can have no proper interest in simply punishing the defaulter. His interest is in performance or in some appropriate alternative to performance. In the case of a straightforward damages clause, that interest will rarely extend beyond compensation for the breach, and we therefore expect that Lord Dunedin’s four tests would usually be perfectly adequate to determine its validity.''

Therefore, any putative contract needs to be assessed on its own merits. Consumer law always applies and no contract “falls outside” The Consumer Rights Act 2015; the fundamental question is always whether the terms are fair:

LINK

- Schedule 2: 'Consumer contract terms which may be regarded as unfair':
    ’’A term which has the object or effect of inappropriately excluding or limiting the legal rights of the consumer in relation to the trader or another party in the event of total or partial non-performance or inadequate performance by the trader of any of the contractual obligations…’’
    ''A term which has the object or effect of requiring a consumer who fails to fulfil his obligations under the contract to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation.''

This charge is clearly punitive and is not saved from breaching the 'penalty rule' (i.e. Lord Dunedin's four tests for a penalty) by the Beavis case, which does NOT supersede other defences. It turned on completely different facts and related only to that car park with its own unique complexity of commercial justification. This case is not comparable.

In this case the specific question is whether a reasonable person would agree to a term where parking in a place that they enjoy rights of way and easements and pay a significant rent for the privilege of peaceful enjoyment would also accept a further unknown/not agreed liability. I would suggest that a court would not accept this as reasonable.

Unlawful penalty charge

I wish to point out that this PCN cannot have been issued correctly, as First Parking LLP had already issued a PCN to this vehicle, which remained affixed at the time. As there is no ‘every 24-hour’ clause included on the car park signage (see below), the signage does not allow for more than one charge to be issued.

No evidence of Landowner Authority - the operator is put to strict proof of full compliance with the BPA Code of Practice

As this operator does not have proprietary interest in the land then I require that they produce an unredacted copy of the contract with the landowner.

The contract and any 'site agreement' or 'User Manual' setting out details - such as any 'genuine customer' or 'genuine resident' exemptions or any site occupier's 'right of veto' charge cancellation rights, and of course all enforcement dates/times/days, and the boundary of the site - is key evidence to define what this operator is authorised to do, and when/where.

It cannot be assumed, just because an agent is contracted to merely put some signs up and issue Parking Charge Notices, that the agent is authorised on the material date, to make contracts with all or any category of visiting drivers and/or to enforce the charge in court in their own name (legal action regarding land use disputes generally being a matter for a landowner only).

Witness statements are not sound evidence of the above, often being pre-signed, generic documents not even identifying the case in hand or even the site rules. A witness statement might in some cases be accepted by POPLA but in this case I suggest it is unlikely to sufficiently evidence the definition of the services provided by each party to the agreement.

Nor would it define vital information such as charging days/times, any exemption clauses, grace periods (which I believe may be longer than the bare minimum times set out in the BPA CoP) and basic but crucial information such as the site boundary and any bays where enforcement applies/does not apply. Not forgetting evidence of the only restrictions which the landowner has authorised can give rise to a charge, as well as the date that the parking contract began, and when it runs to, or whether it runs in perpetuity, and of course, who the signatories are: name/job title/employer company, and whether they are authorised by the landowner to sign a binding legal agreement.

Paragraph 7 of the BPA CoP defines the mandatory requirements and I put this operator to strict proof of full compliance:

7.2 If the operator wishes to take legal action on any outstanding parking charges, they must ensure that they have the written authority of the landowner (or their appointed agent) prior to legal action being taken.

7.3 The written authorisation must also set out:

a the definition of the land on which you may operate, so that the boundaries of the land can be clearly defined

b any conditions or restrictions on parking control and enforcement operations, including any restrictions on hours of operation

c any conditions or restrictions on the types of vehicles that may, or may not, be subject to parking control and enforcement

d who has the responsibility for putting up and maintaining signs

e the definition of the services provided by each party to the agreement

Inadequate signage - The signs in this car park are not prominent, clear or legible from all parking spaces

I note that within the Protection of Freedoms Act (POFA) 2012 it discusses the clarity that needs to be provided to make a motorist aware of the parking charge. Specifically, it requires that the driver is given 'adequate notice' of the charge. POFA 2012 defines 'adequate notice' as follows:

''(3) For the purposes of sub-paragraph (2) 'adequate notice' means notice given by: (a) the display of one or more notices in accordance with any applicable requirements prescribed in regulations under paragraph 12 for, or for purposes including, the purposes of sub-paragraph (2); or (b) where no such requirements apply, the display of one or more notices which: (i) specify the sum as the charge for unauthorised parking; and (ii) are adequate to bring the charge to the notice of drivers who park vehicles on the relevant land''.

Even in circumstances where POFA 2012 does not apply, I believe this to be a reasonable standard to use when making my own assessment, as appellant, of the signage in place at the location. Having considered the signage in place at this particular site against the requirements of Section 18 of the BPA Code of Practice and POFA 2012, I am of the view that the signage at the site - given the minuscule font size of the £60, which is in small font in most photographs and does not appear at all at the entrance - is NOT sufficient to bring the parking charge (i.e. the sum itself) to the attention of the motorist.

In addition, the signage that does exist in this car park locates the signs themselves above the head height of an average person, and certainly above the easy view of a seated driver. A driver with a valid permit, as in this case, would have no reason to go out of their way to locate and study the signage.

There was no contract nor agreement on the 'parking charge' at all. It is submitted that the driver did not have a fair opportunity to read about any terms involving this huge charge, which is out of all proportion and not saved by the dissimilar 'ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis' case.

In the Beavis case, which turned on specific facts relating only to the signs at that site and the unique interests and intentions of the landowners, the signs were unusually clear and not a typical example for this notorious industry. The Supreme Court were keen to point out the decision related to that car park and those facts only:

LINK

In the Beavis case, the £85 charge itself was in the largest font size with a contrasting colour background and the terms were legible, fairly concise and unambiguous. There were 'large lettering' signs at the entrance and all around the car park, according to the Judges.

Here is the 'Beavis case' sign as a comparison to the signs under dispute in this case:

LINK

This case, by comparison, does not demonstrate an example of the 'large lettering' and 'prominent signage' that impressed the Supreme Court Judges and swayed them into deciding that in the specific car park in the Beavis case alone, a contract and 'agreement on the charge' existed.

Here, the signs are sporadically placed, indeed obscured and hidden in some areas, particularly in the section of the car park where this vehicle was parked (see the following images)

The signs are unremarkable, not immediately obvious as parking terms and the wording is hard to read, being crowded and cluttered with a lack of white space as a background. It is indisputable that placing letters too close together in order to fit more information into a smaller space can drastically reduce the legibility of a sign, especially one which must be read BEFORE the action of parking and leaving the car.

It is vital to observe, since 'adequate notice of the parking charge' is mandatory under the POFA Schedule 4 and the BPA Code of Practice, these signs do not clearly mention the parking charge which is hidden in small print (and does not feature at all on some of the signs). Areas of this site are unsigned as described above with photo evidence. so it cannot be assumed that a driver drove past a legible sign, nor parked near one.

This case is more similar to the signage in POPLA decision 5960956830 on 2.6.16, where the Assessor Rochelle Merritt found as fact that signs in a similar size font in a busy car park where other unrelated signs were far larger, was inadequate:

''the signage is not of a good enough size to afford motorists the chance to read and understand the terms and conditions before deciding to remain in the car park. [...] In addition the operators signs would not be clearly visible from a parking space [...] The appellant has raised other grounds for appeal but I have not dealt with these as I have allowed the appeal.''

From the evidence I have seen so far, the terms appear to be displayed inadequately, in letters no more than about half an inch high, approximately. I put the operator to strict proof as to the size of the wording on their signs and the size of lettering for the most onerous term, the parking charge itself.

The letters seem to be no larger than .40 font size going by this guide:

LINK

As further evidence that this is inadequate notice, Letter Height Visibility is discussed here:

LINK

''When designing your sign, consider how you will be using it, as well as how far away the readers you want to impact will be. For example, if you are placing a sales advertisement inside your retail store, your text only needs to be visible to the people in the store. 1-2' letters (or smaller) would work just fine. However, if you are hanging banners and want drivers on a nearby highway to be able to see them, design your letters at 3' or even larger.''

...and the same chart is reproduced here:

LINK

''When designing an outdoor sign for your business keep in mind the readability of the letters. Letters always look smaller when mounted high onto an outdoor wall''.

''...a guideline for selecting sign letters. Multiply the letter height by 10 and that is the best viewing distance in feet. Multiply the best viewing distance by 4 and that is the max viewing distance.''

So, a letter height of just half an inch, showing the terms and the 'charge' and placed high on a wall or pole or buried in far too crowded small print, is woefully inadequate in an outdoor car park. Given that letters look smaller when high up on a wall or pole, as the angle renders the words less readable due to the perspective and height, you would have to stand right in front of it and still need a stepladder (and perhaps a torch and/or magnifying glass) to be able to read the terms.

Under Lord Denning's Red Hand Rule, the charge (being 'out of all proportion' with expectations of drivers in this car park and which is the most onerous of terms) should have been effectively: 'in red letters with a red hand pointing to it' - i.e. VERY clear and prominent with the terms in large lettering, as was found to be the case in the car park in 'Beavis'. A reasonable interpretation of the 'red hand rule' and the 'signage visibility distance' tables above and the BPA Code of Practice, taking all information into account, would require a parking charge and the terms to be displayed far more transparently, on a lower sign and in far larger lettering, with fewer words and more 'white space' as background contrast. Indeed in the Consumer Rights Act 2015 there is a 'Requirement for transparency':

(1) A trader must ensure that a written term of a consumer contract, or a consumer notice in writing, is transparent.
    (2) A consumer notice is transparent for the purposes of subsection (1) if it is expressed in plain and intelligible language and it is legible.

The Beavis case signs not being similar to the signs in this appeal at all, I submit that the persuasive case law is in fact 'Vine v London Borough of Waltham Forest [2000] EWCA Civ 106' about a driver not seeing the terms and consequently, she was NOT deemed bound by them.

This judgment is binding case law from the Court of Appeal and supports my argument, not the operator's case:

LINK

This was a victory for the motorist and found that, where terms on a sign are not seen and the area is not clearly marked/signed with prominent terms, the driver has not consented to - and cannot have 'breached' - an unknown contract because there is no contract capable of being established. The driver in that case (who had not seen any signs/lines) had NOT entered into a contract. The recorder made a clear finding of fact that the plaintiff, Miss Vine, did not see a sign because the area was not clearly marked as 'private land' and the signs were obscured/not adjacent to the car and could not have been seen and read from a driver's seat before parking.

So, for this appeal, I put this operator to strict proof of where the car was parked and (from photos taken in the same lighting conditions) how their signs appeared on that date, at that time, from the angle of the driver's perspective. Equally, I require this operator to show how the entrance signs appear from a driver's seat, not stock examples of 'the sign' in isolation/close-up. I submit that full terms simply cannot be read from a car before parking and mere 'stock examples' of close-ups of the (alleged) signage terms will not be sufficient to disprove this.

I therefore respectfully request that my appeal is upheld and the charge dismissed.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm the keeper of a car which received three PCNs
    Have First Parking issued you with 3 separate NtKs?

Have you appealed each of these separately to First Parking?

Are you appealing x 3 to POPLA?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • The PCNs were stuck onto the car itself. Is that the same as NtK? I only had the PCNs.

I made the mistake of appealing immediately to FP using their Online system in which I gave away the identity of the driver. I appealed to FP for each PCN separately.

Yes, I'm going to send three separate popla appeals. This one and the second one will be identical and will include all the clauses, but the first of the three will not include point 4.

Hope that all makes sense. Is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks.
  • It won't let me edit the post on the phone, so I want to clarify that I meant point 2 (about the 24 hour rule), not point 4.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 September 2018 at 7:41PM
    If you have 3 POPLA codes for 3 PNCs issued WITHOUT the car being moved in between, then you will need to state all 3 POPLA codes at this point:
    Unlawful penalty charge

I wish to point out that this PCN cannot have been issued correctly, as First Parking LLP had already issued a PCN to this vehicle, which remained affixed at the time. As there is no ‘every 24-hour’ clause included on the car park signage (see below), the signage does not allow for more than one charge to be issued.

And I would change the sub-heading and wording to something like this:
    Three duplicate PCNs issued for one single parking event (the car was not moved between each PCN)

POPLA currently has three appeals in about exactly the same parking event, as the car was not moved in between the 3 PCNs.

The 3 POPLA codes are as follows, since the POPLA decisions will of course need to be the same for all three, or at the very least, POPLA must consider dismissing the second and third ones as 'not properly given':

xxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxx

I wish to point out that this PCN cannot have been issued correctly, as First Parking LLP had already issued a PCN to this vehicle, which remained affixed at the time. As there is no 'every 24-hour' clause included on the car park signage (see below), the signage does not allow for more than one charge to be issued for a single period of parking.

There is no term allowing for multiple PCNs for the same parking event. An analogy can be that, if a person failed to purchase a train ticket on a sleeper train from, say, Edinburgh to London, that person could only be penalised once, and could not reasonably be issued a penalty dated for the evening period and a second penalty for the same continuous journey, dated the next morning.

If First Parking LLP wished to give themselves this right, and communicate it to consumers, they could have done the same as some parking firms do and actually state that a PCN can be issued each 24 hour period.

As they have failed to do that, what First Parking LLP are trying to do, is to recover parking charges of £300 for one period of parking, when the sign only mentions £100, and this cannot be upheld using the terms as drafted.

If the operator wishes to suggest the car was moved in between, then the burden of proof rests with them, and their ticketing employee would reasonably be expected to have taken photos of the wheel valve positions each day, (like real Civil Enforcement Officers do, with proper PCNs for Councils). And in fact, Councils routinely cancel duplicate PCNs when drawn to their attention.

It's only the private parking world which expects to make some six times the sum a Council would charge (£300 rather than £50, as a direct comparison for the same conduct) and get away with daylight robbery.

I like your first point - an unusual one and well argued!

Make sure you do embed the Uni website screenshot talking about 'yearly' permits, as well as your proof of purchase, as I think your point has legs.

Do you also have an email from the Uni confirming the 'yearly' permit?

sadly they know who the driver is (I just followed their appeal process without checking here first).
    Ouch, not again...
    The PCNs were stuck onto the car itself. Is that the same as NTK?
    No. But because you blabbed about driving, they didn't even need to send any NTKs.
    but the first of the three will not include point 4.
    I would do three POPLA appeals EXACTLY the same.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • wangbadan
    wangbadan Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 September 2018 at 9:24AM
    Thanks Coupon-mad, that's excellent advice! I'll certainly change point 2 to use the text you suggested.

I don't have a confirmation email from the university, as they only sell permits in person at the library, not online. So there's no e-trail of this. The only proof is the fact I didn't purchase the car until October 2017, so couldn't have had a permit earlier.

They didn't mention any unusual T&Cs or interpretations of "yearly" at the time of purchase, so I just slapped the permit on my car, and didn't give it another thought (until I got these PCNs), as had been safe in the assumption it was for 1 yr! Oct to Oct. :mad:

I'll add as much evidence as possible to the letter, and pdf it to POPLA as you advise in the newbies thread. I'll update soon on the outcome. Thanks so much again to everyone who has helped me so far – you lot are amazing. :D
  • One last question: in the supporting photos for POPLA (of signage etc, is it ok to leave the number plate of my car uncovered? I'm guessing yes, as they already know it, but could someone pls confirm for definite?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    north8 wrote: »
    One last question: in the supporting photos for POPLA (of signage etc, is it ok to leave the number plate of my car uncovered? I'm guessing yes, as they already know it, but could someone pls confirm for definite?

Leave it uncovered for POPLA to see that it is one and the same vehicle for which the charges have been issued.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Makes sense, will do that, thanks for replying
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family