SC check - being asked to re submit by employer

Options
toursover
toursover Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 19 January 2020 at 5:44AM in Debt-free wannabe
Will cut to the chase. Few weeks ago was in £35k gambling debt. Recently gambled enough to pay the whole lot off and a bit more but did it back (!!!! pending withdrawals and delays) plus another few k.

I have a SC at my work, I passed it the first time despite having some debt. This time my debt has been doubled.

Employer wants me to do the financials part of the SC again. I'm currently defaulted on my overdraft, but looking to discuss my options with them.

I was wondering that considering I did my first SC back in May 2019 with some 20k debt and passed if this further check (at 40k debt) is going to have a knock on effect. Also I wasn't in default on any account before nor did I have any debt repayment plans.It's currently only my overdraft that in arrears due to a 2k payment coming out from the 8th Jan that I did not know about. If I can't come to an arrangement on this with the bank (temp overdraft extension) or divert my payday funds elsewhere I'll default on all the others.

If the check is done this week it will be the overdraft. If the check is done next week and I can get it sorted I'll just have debt but direct debits coming out as usual.

I'm concerned that I'll fail it this time. Any advice would be welcome (yeh I know, stop gambling).

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can`t help with the specific question, but please get help with your addiction, there are many others out there like you, so your not alone, but it can be a very self destructive lifestyle, your gambling with massive amounts of money, that will take the average wage earner a long time to repay, you need to end this cycle now, for your own good.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jools1985
    Options
    What is a SC check?
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Security clearance - required for a lot of jobs within MoD, Police, some government agencies.

Security Check (SC) A Security Check (SC, or SC Cleared) is required for people who have substantial access to SECRET or occasional controlled access to SECRET assets and determines that their character and personal circumstances would not mean they would be a risk with such assets.

OP, you're taking big risks with your career, fail one of these and it will be very difficult to pass another one.
  • monetxchange
    Options
    Definitely get help for your gambling. Losing and gaining back tens of thousands of pounds worth of money is no way to live.

As for the security check, is it a standard DV check or a higher vetting?

I’d also bear in mind that the check might be done on several months of information on the credit file, so therefore not necessarily based on the day they check, if you see what I mean. You need to get on an even keel so you come across as stable financially, not ups and downs and defaults as you’ve described. I’m no expert, but brace yourself as to how this might go.
    Debt Free: 06/03/2020 Highest Debt: £37,514
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Its probably the fact that your debts doubled in such a short time that is raising the red flag for them especially as we are not talking small sums here.

As the others have said, please get help. Gambling is a mugs game. And yes, if you lose your SC clearance, it will permanently affect your career, and the fact that it has been lost for financial reasons will make it harder for you to find employment elsewhere.

I'm sorry if this sounds brutal. But you really do need to wake up and smell the coffee....
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • toursover
    toursover Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 21 January 2020 at 2:26AM
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't want to go into the gambling too much, it's a longer story. I haven't done any bets for 2 weeks after I won then lost that 30-35k after it being in pending withdrawal and then lost a bit more (also won 15k after that, but delays and getting drunk one night put that off). But I'm in contact with gamcare, and another counseling service. Yes it's really annoying that I could be debt free right now and I'm going to have to do it the slow way. Also various blocks.

In regards to the SC. My overall debt hasn't increased since about August last year, my last SC check was in May. May to Aug was when I did the most damage gamble wise. I've been up and down at various points with wages and wagers and unfortunately had a bit of a blow after that win.

I had a meeting with that manager because someone overheard me chatting to someone else about losing on online gambling one night informally (loose lips sink ships but I had no idea). He deemed that unacceptable (he knows nothing of my personal circumstances) and arranged for the SC to suspended temporarily.

Today I came to an agreement with my bank and we're going to go for a payment plan to address my overdraft arrears. So I'm not going to expect a snowball of defaults - this is my main bank where payments go in/out and I was 2k over. No other accounts are in default although there were some missed payments on one here and there for a couple of months.

I don't have a real career as such, but one issue is getting another job locally and potentially facing bankruptcy if I fail to do that after being fired.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    If this job isn’t part of a career that’s important to you, and you’re at risk of getting fired, might it be worth looking for a new job now so that you don’t have a firing hanging over you?

I feel for you on the gambling, I’ve been there done that. You can beat it, glad you’re getting support.
  • toursover
    Options
    Yeah I'm gutted... could've all been paid off from that "win", I usually never win. Even if I did it back when it was in my bank account I couldve paid off loans as no chance of getting another one. So I'd just be wasting my own money.
    Also desperate to move towns and out of my parents (had to move back in a year ago unrelated reasons). Now have to wait 18 months. Don't like the job but nothing else around and I cant drive. Sick.

Got the meeting today to discuss the clearance and any investigations.
  • sunflowerlady
    Options
    Head over to the forum and read the post from ‘Slure’.
    Jan 2020: Loan £3,576.17, Credit Cards £42,401.86, Store Card £1,833.61, Overdrafts £2,300.00. Total Debt: £50,111.64 / 1% = £501.12

Jun 2020 Update: Loan £1,925.63, Credit Cards £37,541.74Overdrafts £1,540.00 Total Debt: £41,007.37 / 1% = £410.07

Jan 2021 Update: Credit Cards £34,189.49, Overdrafts £900 Total Debt: £35,089.49 / 1% = £350.89
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure