4100 KWH of gas in 5 weeks / 1 month

Options

Comments

• Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to find out - could be a leak or something else is connected to the supply. Landlord annexe??
  • megyork
    megyork Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Swipe wrote: »
    305 units of electric used in a house that has been unoccupied for a month is not right either. That's 10 units a day.

I thought this too, I understand a fridge freezer will use electric, but this seems a lot, far over our allowance for the month and the house was unoccupied!
    I have contacted the landlord (an agency) who are little help,
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    megyork wrote: »
    as far as we are aware all heating is gas, im not sure about the shower.
    I have just got back to the property, we have been away for a month on break so im the first one back, the boiler was turned off to stop it pulling heat.

we did meter readings before we left:
    GAS ELEC
    02-Dec 11993 95796
    08-Jan. 12232. 96101

I worked out the KWH for the gas using the calc given by glide, using the calorific val of 39.3 and it says we've used 2668kwh of gas?! idk how as the property as been empty, boiler off and no gas being used.

I know the standing rates are high;
    Elec unit 24.22
    elec stand 74.55
    gas unit 5.54
    gas stand 31.5

do you think it is worth switching suppliers if the house uses so much even when empty?

Those rates are nothing short of appalling... Ridiculous would be a better word. Have you tried the Cheap Energy Club on here to get an idea of what tariffs are available?

Someone mentioned something called "glide" charging more for a TV licence than a TV licence costs; how on earth is it legal to re-sell a TV licence at a profit? I have to wonder if the TV licensing lot would approve.

OP, it sounds as if you are being royally ripped off and I recommend you either address these issues with your landlord or look for somewhere else to rent.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Smodlet wrote: »
    OP, it sounds as if you are being royally ripped off and I recommend you either address these issues with your landlord or look for somewhere else to rent.

mmm, meg did you and flatmates sign up for 'glide' or did agent/landlord suggest it?

Methinks somebody getting a good cut out of your payments.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the boiler was turned off to stop it pulling heat.
    You're lucky you didn't come back to burst pipes and a flooded house.
    it says we've used 2668kwh of gas?! idk how as the property as been empty, boiler off and no gas being used.
    And 305kWh of electricity as well. Did you have squatters or was there a rave? Did one of your chums (or the landlord) let a few friends stay there, or does a former tenant still have keys? As the electricity usage is also very high, the most likely explanation is that, unknown to you, the property was occupied.

If you really think the boiler was switched off and no gas was being used, you need to find out what's happening. Check that the number on the meter matches that on the bill, then turn the boiler off and see whether the reading keeps increasing. Are there any gas fires or other gas appliances? If the house has been sub-divided or it's not detached, you might even find that it's supplying others for historic reasons or by an illegal connection.
    I know the standing rates are high;
    Elec unit 24.22
    elec stand 74.55
    gas unit 5.54
    gas stand 31.5
    Assuming those figures are pence per kWh for the units and pence per day for the standing charges, those rates aren't high. They're astronomical.
    do you think it is worth switching suppliers if the house uses so much even when empty?
    Yes, if you want to pay off your student loans in your lifetime ! (You're obviously not studying Economics, are you?) But check whether you have a contract with Glide and whether there are exit fees or whatever. Who signed you up to Glide? Did they get a massive commission?

Welcome to the University of Life !
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    how on earth is it legal to re-sell a TV licence at a profit? I have to wonder if the TV licensing lot would approve.
    They'd be only too pleased that the premises are licensed. They might even encourage Glide to bundle in a TV Licence even if it's not required.
  • Smodlet
    edited 8 January 2020 at 6:33PM
    Options
    I neither know nor care what a "glide" is but vaguely remember reading something on here that said LL's are not allowed to profit from the resale of electricity. I can't remember whether that also applies to gas but imagine it does.

I seriously doubt one is allowed to profit from the sale of TV licences. This "glide" lot sound illegal to me.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

I seriously doubt it applies to TV licences. This "glide" lot sound illegal to me.

had to google it, seems they do an 'all in one' for students.
  • Smodlet
    edited 8 January 2020 at 6:35PM
    Options
    I found this fwiw. Does not seem to address reselling a licence. I really cannot understand why anyone would pay anyone other than the licencing authority for their TV licence.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    They'd be only too pleased that the premises are licensed. They might even encourage Glide to bundle in a TV Licence even if it's not required.

I sincerely hope they do not condone illegal reselling of licences only they are qualified to issue but what do I know? I have sent an enquiry to them via their website but do not look for a reply this month, knowing the pace at which they move.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure