Charged cancellation fee without being told at time of payment

Hi all

I recently paid £400 for some new carpet, it hasn't been fitted yet because it was out of stock and has been ordered.

My landlord has chosen to sell the house so I called the company today and they told me to go in store to sort it out.

On the back of the invoice it says if I cancel I'll be charged 30%. No one told me this when I was buying, and I didn't know until after I'd paid and been given the invoice clipped to the receipt. I wasn't given any terms and conditions and didn't have to sign anything.

It just doesn't seem fair that they didn't mention this before I paid. Am I wrong thinking I should have been told? Should I pay the 30% or challenge it?

Comments

• If you bought in store you have no right to return it and they have no obligation to explain their returns and cancellation policies to you at the point of sale.

If you ordered online, you may have another option.
  • Ahhh ok I paid in store. Wish I'd have thought to ask if they had a cancellation fee.
  • Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Why would they tell you if it's printed on the back of the invoice?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Froudee wrote: »
    Ahhh ok I paid in store. Wish I'd have thought to ask if they had a cancellation fee.
    The simple answer is to use the carpet wherever you are moving to when your landlord sells the house.
    Is he even allowed to sell it with a sitting tenant?
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    He is allowed to sell a house with a tenant but it could take a very long time.

There is a lot more information about this on the House Selling and Rental board.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Spank wrote: »
    Why would they tell you if it's printed on the back of the invoice?

Do you get the invoice BEFORE you hand over the money ?? {if so I agree with you,if not then it being on the back of it you would not know}.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    London50 wrote: »
    Do you get the invoice BEFORE you hand over the money ?? {if so I agree with you,if not then it being on the back of it you would not know}.

If the terms aren't explained prior to sale then such terms cannot be held as part of the contract.

HOWEVER ... there is no automatic right of cancellation for in store sales therefore the seller can require the purchaser to complete then transaction.

I'm more interested in why the OP was buying a new carpet anyway. Did they get the landlord's agreement first? Were they going to keep the old carpet in storage and then refit it when they were leaving?

Why does the landlord selling the property (with a sitting tenant) make any difference as whether the OP buys the carpet or not?
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why are you paying for carpet for a home you don't own?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,195 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    London50 wrote: »

As has been explained there is no legal right for any shop to take a return, or allow a cancellation. We are all used to many shops allowing returns and cancellations and I suppose we do all take it for granted, but there is absolutely no need to tell you in advance if they don't.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    soolin wrote: »
    As has been explained there is no legal right for any shop to take a return, or allow a cancellation. We are all used to many shops allowing returns and cancellations and I suppose we do all take it for granted, but there is absolutely no need to tell you in advance if they don't.

i do agree with what you say,too many people do not seem to understand the basic rights on buying instore/online {even though it is explained on this forum on a daily basis}but my point to {Spanks'post-Why would they tell you if it's printed on the back of the invoice?} is that you would hand over the money before getting the invoice, so unless I am missing/miss reading it my question still stands:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure