Put away your purse & become debt-averse

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,084 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Morning diary readers,
    Icy cars again this morning. Glad I topped up all the bird feeders yesterday as our garden featheries will be glad of the extra calories today.
    Did a really good grocery shop at A*di yesterday. Our grocery budget was looking quite flush because of using £40 of nectar points last week, so I decided to make a shopping list as usual from my meal plan, then to add store cupboard ingredients & things we particularly like from A*di so as to have a big pantry stock-up. We ended up with a big trolley full & it still only came to £50. I think this has shown me that even if we shop at other supermarkets some of the time, it's worth doing these big occasional stock ups at our 'cheap' supermarket of choice.
    We didn't buy supermarket fruit & veg though. Apart from a few things, almost everything was in plastic packaging. We went to our local market, where our favourite greengrocer stallholder only uses paperbags (if necessary) & packs our purchases straight into one of our bags for life.
    Also managed some shopping from home for salad. Was so pleased because it's January, but I took a bowl down to the greenhouse & was able to cut enough lettuce, rocket & baby spinach to make a salad to go with our meal.
    Oh, & there are spring bulbs poking through all over. It's a bit earlier than I'd like for some, but if we are going to have a few frosty nights, that should slow things down a little. First primula flowering too - a purple one.
    Might pop back later - not intending to go too mad with jobs today, but we do need to clear a few things ready for workmen this coming week.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Dottles1
    Dottles1 Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning Foxgloves. Well done on your £50 shop, it is amazing what you can get for your money at that particular supermarket isn't it. I too am noticing signs of growth in the garden. The tete a tete I got free in the autumn and planted under the apple tree are peeking through as are the crocus in pots. I also noticed buds appearing on the hydrangeas yesterday which all warms my heart even f not the soil. I know we have a way to go yet but signs of life in the garden always make me happy.
    CC1 Aug19 [STRIKE]£7587.85[/STRIKE] Aug 20 £0
    CC2 Aug 19 [STRIKE]£1185.58[/STRIKE] Aug 20 £0
    CC3 Aug 19 [STRIKE]£544.95[/STRIKE] Aug 20 £0
    O/D Aug [STRIKE]£20[/STRIKE] Sept [STRIKE] £100[/STRIKE] Oct £0
    CC4 Aug 2020 £0
    Total debt Aug 2019[STRIKE]£9318.38[/STRIKE] Aug 20 £0
  • foxgloves
    Roslingirl - Re your question about growing herbs...... Parsley as already mentioned is usually fairly reliable from seed. It is a biennial so you sow it early Spring & plant it out & snip it as you need it, then the following summer it goes to seed & dies. It often self seeds & you can just grow on the babies for new plants. It is also the easiest herb to grow from the supermarket pots. These pots are lots of plants crammed in together so we think we are buying a big lush one. Tip the contents out & select half a dozen strong ones & pot into yoghurt pots or whatever you have to grow on to full size.
    Overall, I would advise you to think which perennial herbs (I'm sure you know this, but these are the ones which come back every year in spring) you most use. For me, this would be sage, oregano, winter savoury, chives, mint, tarragon, thyme & rosemary. If you know someone who can give you rooted cuttings of these to grow on, that's obviously the no-spend option. If not, I would buy one of each from a garden centre. Herbs are often on a deal where you can choose a certain number for a set price. Easier & quicker than growing from seed & will start off a good basic herb garden tou can add to.
    I always grow annuals from seed each year - basil (if you grow from seed, you usually have enough to make your own pesto) & coriander. I find one generous sowing of basil is enough for our needs but I do about three showings of coriander between April & August as I use lots of it.
    Hope this is helpful. Charity shops (esp Oxfam Bookshop) always well stocked with gardening books.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    Dottles2 - Yes, I'm always cheered by signs of life in the garden. I've been out there today just to sweep the courtyard & to shift a few items out of the way of the workmen we're expecting this week, so I had another look round while I was out there. Thankfully, Mr F had already smashed the ice on the pond so I didn't have to risk a soggy foot doing that!
    Finally we have a few bright spikes of garlic shooting, the other rhubarb (not the one I'm forcing with the crock) is coming through & there's a fair bit of spring bulb activity. My crocus bulb is full, so I hope all those little plants flower. They've been pretty much ignored, so I'm not sure I deserve a lovely crocussy display this year. The first snowdrops are in bud & oddly, a fragrant jonquil type narcissus, which I think is called 'Bride' or similar. That usually flowers in March, so the mild winter must have brought it on. Usually my clumps of 'Tete a tete' are the first narcissi to flower, followed by 'February gold' but they aren't flowering yet. The mini irises I planted last year in my new winter bed created in memory of my Mum & Dad also seem to be pushing through strongly. Shan't get much in the way of garden jobs done this week as there will be scaffolding to go up, workmen to supervise, etc, but it is very uplifting to see my planty friends popping out for another year.

And re supermarket shop...... yes, it is very noticeable how big a trolley load we get there for our budget compared with other emporia. And lots of their products are our brand of choice.... For example bread flour, quinoa, jumbo oats, peanut butter, cold pressed rapeseed oil, Skyr, loo rolls, washin-up liquid, etc.
    F x
  • so what is it about the 7 and 8 times tables i wonder. my 7 yr old granddaughter won at times table champions in her school last week. i asked her if she knew the quick way to do her 9x with her hand. her dad, a teacher, asked me not to confuse her. i slunk back into oblivion. just as well, as though practicing when i read it here, couldn’t remember it anyway !!
  • foxgloves
    Evening readers,
    Well I got off to a good start this morning - up at 6, made bread, gathered up dry laundry - put heated airer away, updated budgets, changed bed linen, wrote a birthday card, excavated the freezer to find what I'd put on our meal plans for tonight, etc, etc...... but after workmen arrived, I felt a bit limited to being within earshot in case they needed to ask me anything. So I decided to prep the first batch of my marmalade oranges while listening to an audio book. It was quite relaxing & all that citrussy loveliness is currently soaking, ready for cooking & jamming tomorrow. Seville oranges (the special marmalade ones) were a good price on our local market this weekend. I paid £3.10 for 2kg, which will make several jars.
    Much colder here last night. I put an extra blanket over our bed. One was crocheted by my Mum in the 1970s & still looks good, & the other was knitted by me a few years ago as a thrift project to use up all my odds & ends of dk yarn. I wonder why it is that handmade blankets seem warmer. They look lovely & homely, & can be very attractive, but I can't think why they'd actually be warmer. I reckon it's psychological because they look so snuggly!
    Anyway, time for a bit of TV on the sofa. No chance of sprawling in front of the fire as cat is hogging the entire rug.
    Stay warm all,
    F x
  • :jThank you very much indeed for the tips, Foxsgloves!:j
  • foxgloves
    You're welcome, Roslingirl.
    Good luck with it. Growing green things is good for the soul, I always think.
    F x
  • foxgloves
    Up early again today. Workmen arriving in an hour & I really don't know how the day will pan out for me. I am hoping to get my first batch of marmalade done at the least, so will make a start by raiding my jam jar cupboard for suitable recycled jars. While the peel is simmering prior to jamming, I think I'll prepare the 2nd batch of oranges. It looks as though it will be another bright day - very icy atm - but I don't really want to be negotiating scaffolding & bits of old wood being chucked down, so will leave garden tasks for another week & stick to indoor ones.
    Had better crack on. Hope everyone has a decent day - I'm confined to home & as I choose to do very little of my shopping online, that means I won't be spending anything.
    F x
  • foxgloves
    edited 21 January 2020 at 5:37PM
    Oh my giddy aunt.......(yes, her again).....what a day! OK, so workmen arrived on time all raring to go & then spent the first two hours not being able to crack on with the job. And it was absolutely nobody's fault. The work being done this week involved moving two rows of roof tiles to get at the fascias, etc. It has been very icy here overnight.....in fact I've just been down to the greenhouse to cut some lettuce & the grass is still crunchy to walk on - it hasn't melted all day.......& the assumption was that the tiles wouldn't move because they were frozen solid. Two watering cans of hot water applied. Nothing. A kettle was boiled to make it that bit hotter. Still nothing. An investigation involving power tools revealed that the tiles have been stuck absolutely fast to the rafters from the inside & absolutely will not move unless they are smashed off & a new roof fitted. Hmmmm, I said, seeing a number of worrying ££££ signs whizzing before my eyes, is there a less drastic solution? And there was. As soon as the plasticky gunk under the tiles was mentioned, I also realised what it was. The previous occupant of our house had a draft-proofing sort of treatment done, which involves covering the entire inside of the roof with this foam insulation which looks like old custard but sets rock hard. We see it if we are shoving stuff up in the loft, but otherwise never give it a thought. Anyway, I was told today that I've no need to worry about roof tiles blowing off in high winds as they are literally going nowehere. I suppose that was one good thing. Anyway, they haven't stopped since then & only have another morning's work for it to be finished.
    I never seem to be able to get much done while there's work being done on the house. I did get my first batch of marmalade made (9 full sized jars) & have prepped the rest of my seville oranges for the 2nd batch tomorrow. Apart from that, I've only really done my emails, tried to figure out all the correspondence & THREE bills I've had from our energy provider over the last week & made tomorrow's packed lunch.
    Never a warm house, but with both doors open today for power cables & all the back & forthing of workmen & kit, plus windows also cracked to cope with the steam brewing off the marmalade cauldron, it feels absolutely freezing tonight. Luckily, my next task is a nice hot bath, so although I am not one to sit around in my jamas (partly cos I don't actually have any jamas & partly because it sort of depresses me), I'm going to put my big snuggly robe on after that & about 46 pairs of socks & warm up by the fire. No point lighting it with all the heat flying straight out of those open doors, but I will now.
    OK, I'm off to line up all my bath time potions & might as well sort my trampy hair out while I'm at it.
    Stay warm everyone.......I understand it's even warmer in Scotland than here today & even my sis down in London said she had to scrape the car this morning.
    Fx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback