Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Poor Leno
    • By Poor Leno 6th Dec 19, 4:25 PM
    • 74Posts
    • 89Thanks
    Poor Leno
    Scam? 03452669337
    • 6th Dec 19, 4:25 PM
    Scam? 03452669337 6th Dec 19 at 4:25 PM
    This number has called me 5 times this week. I've not answered it yet , wondered if anyone else encountered it. I did some background checks and many comments have said it's a genuine HSBC call. Thing is I don't bank with HSBC apart from its first direct arm. Should I keep ignoring it ?
Page 1
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 6th Dec 19, 4:30 PM
    • 4,734 Posts
    • 2,616 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 6th Dec 19, 4:30 PM
    This number has called me 5 times this week. I've not answered it yet , wondered if anyone else encountered it. I did some background checks and many comments have said it's a genuine HSBC call. Thing is I don't bank with HSBC apart from its first direct arm. Should I keep ignoring it ?
    Originally posted by Poor Leno
    So when you receive a call on your mobile you do background checks on the displayed number before you answer the call? How did you run these background checks and who made the comments and why?
    It's up to you if you ignore it or answer it. What are you afraid of? Speaking to their collections department or that it is a scam?
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 6th Dec 19, 4:30 PM
    • 3,442 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    It might be a genuine HSBC published number but scammers can easily "spoof" a number and might well be pretending to be HSBC.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 6th Dec 19, 4:32 PM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 6th Dec 19, 4:32 PM
    • 6th Dec 19, 4:32 PM
    No harm in answering it. Make your decision when you've heard what they have to say.

Edit, I withheld my number and rang it and it does 'appear' to be HSBC but I got put into a queue waiting for the next available operator, so hung up.
    • LobsterMemory
    • By LobsterMemory 6th Dec 19, 5:19 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    LobsterMemory
    • 6th Dec 19, 5:19 PM
    • 6th Dec 19, 5:19 PM
    So when you receive a call on your mobile you do background checks on the displayed number before you answer the call? How did you run these background checks and who made the comments and why?
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    https://who-called.co.uk/Number/03452669337
    • Jami74
    • By Jami74 6th Dec 19, 11:36 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Jami74
    • 6th Dec 19, 11:36 PM
    • 6th Dec 19, 11:36 PM
    I often don't answer calls from numbers I do not recognise. If it's important they leave a voicemail and I call them back.
    Mature student 2011-2016
    Professional
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
    Save £9.6k in 2020 - #30 £305.50/£9,600
    • Poor Leno
    • By Poor Leno 7th Dec 19, 1:47 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Poor Leno
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:47 AM
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:47 AM
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    It came up as suspected spam when it rang. I don't ever answer my mobile to unrecognised callers without researching the number after they called. Main reason being that if your number is part of a circular, and you answer it, you'll just keep getting calls from such spammers and probably have your number passed on to other third parties while they're at it. And so your mobile then just ends up continually being sold on to other third parties as an active number. So, that's why I never answer them, cos answering one spam call only ever leads to more spam afterwards.

I might give first direct a call. The only thing it could be is with regard to my regular saver maturity at the end of the month. Not sure why they'd be calling about that though, the T&C's state the money goes into a sweet FA interest paying account upon maturity. And I don't use the current account I have with them, I only had the thing for the 5% interest saver. And since they almost halved that rate now, I'll be binning it off anyway.
    Last edited by Poor Leno; 07-12-2019 at 1:51 AM.
    • penners324
    • By penners324 7th Dec 19, 4:51 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    penners324
    • 7th Dec 19, 4:51 AM
    • 7th Dec 19, 4:51 AM
    To answer Ben8282 question. Yes I do exactly that. Get far too many dodgy phone calls on my mobile. I just don't answer them.
    Quick google search and if it looks dodgy the number gets blocked.
    • The Green Hornet
    • By The Green Hornet 7th Dec 19, 9:31 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    The Green Hornet
    • 7th Dec 19, 9:31 AM
    • 7th Dec 19, 9:31 AM
    Personally I block any number that is not in my contacts. Unknown numbers are logged and then checked. To date, I have never found a "cold caller" to be someone I need to have a conversation with.
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 7th Dec 19, 12:04 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    I never answer any call I’m not expecting and that I don’t recognise, as I’ve never had a legitimate call from my bank that wasn’t initiated by me in the first place. If it was something important banks tend to put it writing. To me it will be safe to ignore it.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 7th Dec 19, 2:41 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 5,438 Thanks
    Zanderman
    I never answer any call Iím not expecting and that I donít recognise, as Iíve never had a legitimate call from my bank that wasnít initiated by me in the first place. If it was something important banks tend to put it writing. To me it will be safe to ignore it.
    Originally posted by tempus_fugit
    Hmm... if the bank is checking a relatively unusual transaction was me and not fraud I'd expect them to phone, not to put it writing.

Which is indeed what happens - certainly with Coop and Smile and maybe others.

So I don't ignore calls - but I hang up if they're scams..
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 7th Dec 19, 2:50 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 5,257 Thanks
    Marvel1
    I had a phone call, 0345 something, googled it, Halifax transaction check, phoned back, turns out transaction was not me, card cancelled, new one sent.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 7th Dec 19, 3:02 PM
    • 3,663 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    I never answer any call I’m not expecting and that I don’t recognise, as I’ve never had a legitimate call from my bank that wasn’t initiated by me in the first place.
    Originally posted by tempus_fugit
    How do you know, since you don't answer them?

I've had a call from my bank's fraud department, while I was in the process of authorising a rather large faster payment.
    I suppose you could say that I initiated it, but I wasn't expecting it, and if it had been a fraudulent payment, I would have been very glad to have had the payment blocked.

Personally I block any number that is not in my contacts. Unknown numbers are logged and then checked. To date, I have never found a "cold caller" to be someone I need to have a conversation with.
    Originally posted by The Green Hornet
    I've had calls from friends to whom I must have given my number, but I've forgotten to add to my phonebook. Also from a friend who changed her phone and number.
    Last edited by Eco Miser; 07-12-2019 at 3:07 PM. Reason: Added second response
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • pavane
    • By pavane 7th Dec 19, 3:30 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    pavane
    This is in the HSBC range but could be number spoofing. Do not answer. Hang up and make sure your number is disconnected from the call. Call and say hi to your mum, mate, lover or whatever. Then call the number on the back of the card and even the basic customer service will see if there is a comment or action from fraud team on your account. Core fraud team is workdays only. It's most likely failed aggressive card payments being blocked.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 7th Dec 19, 4:50 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Doctors surgeries, hospitals, local government depts, TSB OTOP etc etc use Private numbers or ones you won't recognise at times so I always answer.

If I get a missed call I often look it up, eg today got 0800 call looked it up its ScottishPower and their wont take no for an answer regular nuisance calls for smart meters.

Many bona fide numbers are listed as 'scams' because people think they are scams and google the number and lazily report it as a scam when its not. Although sometimes it is and sometimes its bona fide but nuisance calls from market research companies etc.

So the number cited in this thread is a 'scam'?
    • born again
    • By born again 7th Dec 19, 6:26 PM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    born again
    I often don't answer calls from numbers I do not recognise. If it's important they leave a voicemail and I call them back.
    Originally posted by Jami74
    This 100%.

If it's important then you get a voice mail. No voicemail and it's not important.

If only more people did that, there would be less people scammed

I make outbound call for a bank. I'm amazed at the number of people who simply go through security and never question me, or do, but only after passing security.
    Last edited by born again; 07-12-2019 at 6:29 PM.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 8th Dec 19, 5:56 PM
    • 15,371 Posts
    • 13,955 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    Have you actually tried calling FD to enquire if they have been trying to contact you?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

47Posts Today

2,762Users online

Martin's Twitter