* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all, Hope you are all ok and are having a great start to the. new year.
    Still off work, I have only bought an make up advent calendar in the sale. Reduced from £50 to £25 to £6.25. Online shopping isnt the same as being able to get into the shops. Things still up in the air, waiting for discussion with Gp and plan of action.
    I have to admit that this Christmas and New year was the best to date as it was relaxed, the kids were kept busy with less tat and more thoughtful gifts. actually miss the kids now they are back at school.
    Vulpix- house is going up for sale very soon. Just finished doing the kitchen, new floor, tiles etc. DH Pulled our old carpet up in our bedroom and the floorboards were varnished beautifully, they had paint stains all over them from previous owner. Lots of elbow grease later ( and a few choice words from DH) brought it up beautifully and it is a real feature. I picked a rug from ik*a online and DH went and picked it up. The house looks beautiful.
    Hope everybody is ok xxx
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Haha,wish I could say my house looks beautiful. I am finding more and more stuff to try and sell but DD1 is full of applying for a PHD and has no brain space for a carboot sale at the moment.

That was a lucky find 0462... with the floor boards.I was thinking today as i was hoovering I might go all wooden floors in the next house. Had vintage parquet in the last house but one,that was lovely.Wishing you speed with your journey with the medics,x

I have found a problem in the small bedroom.Moved the wardrobe and there was mould on the wall.It always feels colder in there than the rest of the house.As we are staying here for a while we had better try and get it sorted out.The next door semi had a similar problem,I will ask her when I see her next who she got to sort it.

Me n Mr V put a blind up today in the kitchen.Before hand we allocated separate parts of the job and avoided being in the room together whilst we did them! The best DIY we have ever done together.No falling out at all.I was in the sittingroom though snigering as he was swearing in the kitchen.

I have decided not to buy too early for Christmas too.I need the space in my bedroom.I broke a mirror i had bought,shoving too much in the wardrobe.

I will make the old Christmas cards into gift tags tomorrow.

love to all xxxV
     :
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just popping in to say fort hose that have female birthdays coming up (not mentioning as Christmas presents lol), I have noticed this on HKUD
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/geltouch-starter-kit-including-led-lamp-1280-with-code-at-lloyds-pharmacy-free-cc-2874959

There is a code there that brings it down to £12.80.

NOTE- its not a full UV gel nail kit that requires several different layers, this one is just a cured top coat that can be used with ordinary polishes and extends the life of your manicure. I've ordered one for my sisters birthday.
    lovin' this site!
    :j
    Options
    Good Morning all,

Hope we are all well.
    Vulpix- Our house has been instructed to go up for sale. Just got to authorise our room descriptions and picture order etc. Only thing that lets us down is our back garden as we have not had chance to paint it yet. DH is even thinking about painting it tomorrow morning and retaking the picture. The Loft is the definite surprise in the house. We had 3 estate agents come and they were amazed at the size of the room. 18" x 14" Biggest room in the house. One Estate Agent said he could tell the kitchen was new, erm nope it is 14 years old lol. We painted our tiles and had a new floor put down and it has transformed it. To be fair the kitchen is still in pristine condition.
    Murie- fantastic deal and was very tempted but im trying to be good and save incase we do actually manage to sell and we need the money for solicitors etc. Last time we moved was 15 years ago and we cannot believe the changes in prices of things since then!

Need to carry on with the official declutter, Start packing what is not needed/being used and keep the house in pristine shape at all times incase somebody wants to view!
  • 3forholidays
    Options
    04624181 Wishing you a speedy house sale! :) Great compliments from the estate agent regarding the kitchen considering it is one of the used areas of the house - probably the small amount of work that you did has improved the look of the space.

Hope everyone is keeping well :)
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    04624181 exciting times with the house sale. Would painting the garden really make a difference? Thinking of your poor OH out there in this weather. One of the first things we did when we moved was repaint the garden fence from poo brown to a lovely pale green. However the rest of the house was in great condition (you wouldn't have thought so with the list of things we plan to do to it lol) so if it's just a little thing it might not really matter? It's the big ticket items that can sway people I think and sounds like you've got a big tick with the kitchen.

No Xmas prep here, feeling a bit cross with myself shopping in the 50% Boots sale and not looking at Superdrug or Wilko for a couple of recipients where I could prob have got something equally as nice and cheaper but never mind, I'll remember that for next year, although I don't want Boxing Day to turn into some rush out to the shops.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Options
    3forholidays, the new floor and a small tin of tile paint has completely updated the whole kitchen.
    Kerrigt- I myself think it isnt worth it but they are the worst pictures as the rendering is patchy and black in places, DH feels it lets the rest of the house down. DH has it in his head he will get up early in the morning and do it. I for one will be having a lie in lol.

Have cleaned the fridge, hoovered and mopped floors, polished etc downstairs. Going to sit and have a brew and chill for a while.
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    0462,don't over do it now.That's it when your house is for sale,keeping it immaculate.I am like a broken record with the "don't leave that there,put it away"! If DH wants to paint in the garden,let him,as long as it's not raining.Some people can't imagine how it would look if only a lick of paint was added.When I had this house valued last year the Estate Agent was raving at what I had done to the garden ie made one.His friend used to live next door so he knew what it used to be like.(broken glass and chunks of broken concrete,will learn how to add a photo one day!)He said it had added thousands to the house.

Went to get my shoes changed at schu today.The kids bought me some Doc Marts for Christmas but they crippled me.When I felt inside one was really rough on the seam,the other ok.They had one other pair in stock which were ok but still hurt a bit,right where you bend your foot so I got some Fly boots instead!liked the others but lurrrve my new red boots.

The new duvet covers have been difficult to find curtains to match.Was on the verge of sending them back,but found the exact right colour in a charity shop for £10.The woman said they were in the packet when they were donated and she had just taken them out and put them on a hanger.I have had a brainwave and will paint the bedside lamps shades the same as I painted the furniture.Feel like I have to economise a bit as the duvet cover was *whispers £90.

I know non of this is anything to do with Christmas but I miss chatting with you lot.

Vx
     :
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Evening all hope you are all ok.

Feeling abit fed up today. No real explanation so just riding it out. Tomorrow is a new day :D

Good luck with the house sale 04624181 sounds like little bits of work have made a big difference.

Vulpix glad you found some matching curtains that was lucky.

Christmas savings are well underway but don't start buying until July/August generally. If I see something though least I know the money is sitting there which helps. Must be better at sticking to budget this year :rotfl:
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Good luck with the house sale 0462, it's stressful but exciting. I love the idea of fresh starts, probably why I've already stopped saying 'we're not moving again' even though we only moved here last year.

STOKIE I know what you mean, some days are just down days for no obvious reason but ride it out is def the way to go.

VULPIX I'm not surprised you've added value to your house, you've worked blooming hard on that garden. Putting pics up the new way really is easy or I wouldn't be able to do it and I'd love to see your handiwork. Who cares if news isn't Christmas related :D

KERRI I think I must be one of the few people who don't shop in Boots for Christmas pressies. I normally find other stores are cheaper although I must admit that because I dont really enjoy receiving smelly sets I tend not to give them.

Nothing Christmassy going on here, thoughts are tending to turn to spring and the garden. I'm redoing the bedroom though as I've finally persuaded DH that we need to get rid of our brown leather bed. 12 years and I've never managed to get the decor right to suit it so hopefully I'll be more successful with the new one. This afternoon will be reserved for watching the BDO Darts final - I'm not one for sports and games but darts and show jumping are definite exceptions.

Happy Sunday everyone.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family