Round and round the overdraft....soon to be no more

Comments

• louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,505
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well my kitchen research continues.

I've had 2 designs and quotes - both similar design

Howdens are quoting £8500 which includes their (rubbish) Lamona appliances- which after extensive research MSE and Mumsnet say aren't good quality and often fail

Wickes are quoting £6550 with Zanussi appliances and are offering 0% finance over 2 years. 10% deposit then finance starts when the kitchen is delivered which wouldn't be until July.

I'm pretty sure Wickes is the one.
  • I agree Wickes sounds good x
    Mummytogirls x

• louby40
    Forumite
    I've bought a kitchen! :eek:

I must be mad as now I owe on my CC - not much but still a debt. I won't start paying for the kitchen until July/August time which is when I'll have stopped paying my parents. It's a 2 year loan and it's interest free. I'm hoping to save up to pay the builder; I still don't know how much my builder is charging yet.

I'm so excited....but gutted I'm in debt again. But needs must and at least it's interest free :T
  • louby40
    Forumite
    First NSD of the month! It's been a busy week at work - what's new!!

My OH has come down with man flu so you can imagine what that's like!:rotfl: Hoping he's feeling better tomorrow as we're off to see the Kaiser Chiefs in Manchester. Tickets and hotel paid for, just need to pay for train and meal, drinks.

This will be the last spendy weekend for a while as we've had quite an expensive couple of weeks. Need to reign it in a bit now if I'm going to save up to pay my builder.
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yay to the kitchen Louby. Enjoy your little weekend away x
    Mummytogirls x

• louby40
    Forumite
    Fab night in Manchester. We had a meal in Prezzo - I found a 30% off code so we got about £9 off - every little helps.

When we got back we did the food shop in Aldi £58 and then decided to tackle the garage. My OH said we'd got to be ruthless and we were - filled the car full of rubbish. My OH then decided to tackle our downstairs toilet/shower room - we are getting rid of the shower (never used) and plan on putting the washer and drier in there. I also want a new toilet and sink so he started getting the shower out in order for the plumber and electrician to put in the necessary bits.

It's the start of house renovations 2017 - :j:j:j
  • Sounds very productive. Well done to you both.

Have you read Kon Marie's book? After reading it I threw out a lot of things and felt much better for it.
  • louby40
    Forumite
    Speky, no I've not read her book! To be honest I'm not much of a hoarder really.

The builder came out last night to look at my plans for the kitchen, he's sorting me a quote out but it won't be until next week. He's booked up until June so a July/August fit will suit me fine. I just need it to be £3k or less, if it's more than that I'll be borrowing off my parents again.

I've decided I'm never going to be out of debt - not for years and years! I have so much I want to do in the house. Plus I love my weekends away and holidays.

I suppose the good thing now is I have a strict budget that I stick to, I plan ahead and I'm totally aware of what I'm spending. Whereas before I just bought stuff without a care or a thought!
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Am I allowed to be honest without causing offence?

Louby you've done fantastically well so far in your journey. You started this diary back in June of last year and came on leaps and bounds. As you say, you've got a tight grip on your finances now and know where each penny goes. I personally don't think it's a good idea to resign yourself to being in debt for years to come. I appreciate that there are things that need to be done in the house and, more importantly, you need to live and enjoy life, but doing so and digging a deeper hold would only make the enjoyment temporary until I checked my bank balance.

Again, I hope you're not offended but I just wanted to give you some encouragement to keep going.
  • louby40
    Forumite
    I'm not offended at all. But I have set myself some goals and have thought long and hard about them. I need lots of refurbishment in my house and it's finding a way to pay for these as cheaply as possible.

These are my plans:
    2017 - major kitchen re-fit £6500 for kitchen (0% finance over 2 yrs) set to kick in August, easily manageable at £240 a month but aim to pay double this where possible. Builder will be paid in cash, I can save/ borrow £3k by August.

No holiday this year

2018 - try to pay off kitchen asap and begin saving for new bathroom. Autumn 2018 new ensuite bathroom approx £3k

No holiday abroad this year

2019 - car will be paid off freeing up £200 a month. Decorating hall, landings and stairs (3 storey house) and new carpets approx £3k

I'm 50 this year so may have to go away for a few days somewhere.

2020 - holiday to Goa planned. On my list of places to go.

But all of this is subject to good health, saving and positivity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure