MSE News: Fraud alert as TSB customers see £1,000s taken from accounts

2»

Comments

• lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm not sure TSB will recover from this. Someone was able to change my address on my account to one in London via the telephone banking team despite the fact that I have never used telephone banking and don't having security codes etc set up. they then spent my available balance and to the end of my small overdraft. this was Saturday, I reported sunday when I found out at 8am (3.5hr call, 3hrs on hold) had to go in branch on Monday to verify my correct address (but they hadn't had them verify the change of my address) and I found out they tried to spend an awful lot more but it was rejected due to lack of funds. however I will have incurred additional fees and charges for this having happened when direct debit were due to go out but supposedly I won't be left out of pocket. even though they left me with less than £30 - needing to feed a 4 year old, get my husbands medication, my own medication, food and needing fuel to get to and from work! apparently they think it's acceptable. 5 days later and I am no closer to getting my money back or any real response to my complaint re the breach in my data/security.

fact is this could well be TSB customers who have seen my account on their own online banking and decided to take the risk to claim it as their own. something that could, and should, have been prevented by TSB.

I pay for a platinum account - yes I get extra benefits for that money however currently I'm left with next to nothing as I can't use my card, can't access my money online, can't pay for things or use the other benefits as many are through online banking or need account references and all access and my account has been frozen.

I'm not usually one to cry for compensation but I do feel they have let customers down massively and they need to acknowledge that with more than a 'we're sorry your not getting the service you expect and that we expect to give customers' stock letter/tweet every few days. they need to step it up and get these complaints resolved. they say they have a maximum of 8 weeks to resolve this I'm sorry but I don't find that acceptable; it's been 'added to my existing complaint' to try and speed it up...not the first complaint I made weeks ago, the one I made last week so they didn't have to acknowledge it within 5 days as the complaint had already been acknowledged and now they are 1 week in to the 8 to resolve it.

I still don't have my money back because the transactions are still pending and apparently that's a visa problem nothing at all to do with tsb so tsb won't help until they are no longer pending. they have said I won't be out of pocket but I'll still need to repay the part of my overdraft I wouldn't have gone in to if it was me ?! and their solution to help me access money to feed my family etc? extend the overdraft on the compromised account which I would then have to pay back too! I think that's an easy answer...no
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    I received two phishing emails over the past week asking me to click on links akin to tsb.bank-fraudster.co.uk and halifax.this-is-a-secure-website.com

Just for fun I visited those sites in a private browser and they were a perfect replica of the log in pages, except they then asked for full passwords, personal details and card details at a later stage.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A lot more about this on Money Box yesterday https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b39ph0
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    zerog wrote: »
    I received two phishing emails over the past week asking me to click on links akin to tsb.bank-fraudster.co.uk and halifax.this-is-a-secure-website.com

Just for fun I visited those sites in a private browser and they were a perfect replica of the log in pages, except they then asked for full passwords, personal details and card details at a later stage.
    I hope you didn't put your full password in to get to the later stage :rotfl: I guess you just used a random string of text though. Did you do a full system scan too just in case even vising the site leaves nasties behind.
  • nic_c
    Forumite
    fact is this could well be TSB customers who have seen my account on their own online banking and decided to take the risk to claim it as their own. something that could, and should, have been prevented by TSB.
    True it depends on what security checks they do on the phone line - if its confirming past transactions, then that could be it a risk. Just listened to the moneybox podcast, as posted above, It looks like they suspect the usual User Error rather than bank fault, but then I suppose they would. If it happened I would be sending in a DSAR for transcripts of all phone calls from within the past month, in fact as they will be free from 5 days time, it may be worth getting the request ready - probably by letter since the phone lines are still busy.

Do I part pay my stooze from the TSB portion, or simply transfer, or wait it out
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Had phone call from TSB yesterday which I assume was a scam, but still not sure where the scam was going to set in.

Came home to recorded message on answer machine giving me a 'one time only password' to continue my banking transaction. I hadn't been doing any banking yesterday. Googled number it was from and found it to be a genuine TSB number. Went into branch who checked through my accounts and found nothing wrong - odd transactions, unfinished transactions, new payees, etc. Was told it must have been a 'cloned phone number' scam and as long as I didn't phone back and give out information it would be OK.

If the phone number was cloned, then the recorded message was also cloned. It was identical to any message I've received. Even finishing with the instruction to hang up and follow the instructions on screen.

Was I assumed to be listening to the recorded message at the time it was sent and enter 1 to hear the password number again as told or was it expected that I would phone the cloned number immediately to report the error and then be asked for information?

It may even have been a wrong phone number dialled on TSB's part!
  • nic_c
    Forumite
    edited 20 May 2018 at 3:47PM
    Be_Happy wrote: »
    Had phone call from TSB yesterday which I assume was a scam, but still not sure where the scam was going to set in.

Came home to recorded message on answer machine giving me a 'one time only password' to continue my banking transaction. I hadn't been doing any banking yesterday. Googled number it was from and found it to be a genuine TSB number. Went into branch who checked through my accounts and found nothing wrong - odd transactions, unfinished transactions, new payees, etc. Was told it must have been a 'cloned phone number' scam and as long as I didn't phone back and give out information it would be OK.
    Frome the website
    We!!!8217;re dealing with your money and so, sometimes we want to be absolutely sure we!!!8217;re dealing with you. So we use Enhanced Internet Authentication (EIA).

You!!!8217;ll receive an automated call and be asked to confirm details about the transaction you!!!8217;re setting up. You!!!8217;ll then be asked to enter a four digit number that will be displayed on your computer screen.

We use EIA when you set up a new payment recipient, card payment, or standing order.

We can call you on any number we already hold for you. If you!!!8217;d like to use a new number, you!!!8217;ll need to register that number and wait up to three days before it is activated.
    So it could have been an attempted new payee, but so long as it was not followed up that should be okay. So long as there is no way for your telephone number to be changes, like from call centre operative or anything.

Of course the TSB internet gives info of One Time Password
    A one-time password is a unique password we will send you in the post. It is different from the password you use to log in to Internet Banking. This one-time password can only be used for confirming your telephone number change, and will be usable for 14 days from the time you request it.
    but that seems to say it would be posted out.
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sounds really like a scam then. This call did not ask for any transaction details - simply said to continue making my transaction it was sending me a one time only password (actually had 6 digits).

Scam must come into operation when person receiving the recorded message phones back immediately to point out error and then goes on to give any information asked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure