Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Comments

• haggis0073
    haggis0073 Posts: 160 Forumite
    my friend submitted her application (and paid fee) on the 17th, had the same response with a glitch in the system, was then approved on the 20th

so fingers crossed the glitch has been sorted
  • Hi mumof4.84

I paid and submitted Tuesday 17th and my name was on the insolvency register on Friday 20th. It says the DRO start date is 19th.
    Have you had any luck yet? I haven’t received my letter yet confirming but I spoke to StepChange yesterday who confirmed for me that yes it had been granted and my letter should arrive next week.
    I hope your DRO has been accepted by now so you can relax!
  • Jae25
    Jae25 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hello,
    Firstly I’m new to the forum so my apologies if I’ve posted in the wrong place!

I need to apply for a DRO. Both StepChange and National Debtline have said it best applies to my situation. However they have given me conflicting advice and I’m unsure what to do.

I live with my partner, in his property, my name isn’t on anything. I don’t contribute to mortgage or upkeep of the house. I pay gas, electric, water and council tax.
    We have a child (1 year) I’m a stay at home mother.

Firstly, National Debtline wanted to do the budget using household income, so including my partners income. Which was still fine as we are still -£118 per month.
    StepChange wanted to budget using solely me, also fine as that makes me even worse off.

So I’m confused as to which is the best way to go about it? Because obviously my partner supports me.
    Most importantly, StepChange told me to seek independent advice re: my partners property. Apparently I could have a beneficial interest due to providing childcare.
    Now I find his obsurd as I’m aware of what can result in a beneficial interest and I understand their reasoning as to how me providing childcare means I am unable to work etc etc, however, as a mother you look after your child regardless. Perhaps if it were only his child maybe then I’d see StepChanges point.
    Anyway, the most important thing for me when applying for this DRO is to ensure my partner is left alone, this is his property, I’ve not contributed in any way, it’s never been intended or implied to be my property. The debts are in my sole name (and also taken out prior to meeting him, but I know that’s irrelevant too).
    National Debtline said quite the opposite to Stepchange, they said my partner is irrelevant as “you can’t expect someone else to pay for your debts”.

Does anyone have any experience of this or can offer me any help/info?

Thanks for your time!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,490 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Jae25 wrote: »
    So I’m confused as to which is the best way to go about it? Because obviously my partner supports me.
    Most importantly, StepChange told me to seek independent advice re: my partners property. Apparently I could have a beneficial interest due to providing childcare.
    Now I find his obsurd as I’m aware of what can result in a beneficial interest and I understand their reasoning as to how me providing childcare means I am unable to work etc etc, however, as a mother you look after your child regardless. Perhaps if it were only his child maybe then I’d see StepChanges point.
    Anyway, the most important thing for me when applying for this DRO is to ensure my partner is left alone, this is his property, I’ve not contributed in any way, it’s never been intended or implied to be my property. The debts are in my sole name (and also taken out prior to meeting him, but I know that’s irrelevant too).
    National Debtline said quite the opposite to Stepchange, they said my partner is irrelevant as “you can’t expect someone else to pay for your debts”.

Does anyone have any experience of this or can offer me any help/info?

Thanks for your time!

There is no one way to calculate surplus income so leave that to your intermediary. It sounds like you will qualify however you do it.

When I started reading your post I knew we were heading for Stepchange/beneficial interest. If you search these boards you will see it is a recurring theme and yes it is absurd. The guidelines refer to 'established beneficial interest' - it isn't a problem for you.
  • fatbelly wrote: »
    There is no one way to calculate surplus income so leave that to your intermediary. It sounds like you will qualify however you do it.

When I started reading your post I knew we were heading for Stepchange/beneficial interest. If you search these boards you will see it is a recurring theme and yes it is absurd. The guidelines refer to 'established beneficial interest' - it isn't a problem for you.

Thank you so much for your reply, really appreciate it! I didn’t realise it was a reoccurring theme, but I guess there are thousands in the same living situation as me.
    Thank you for your help, now to decide whether it’s best to apply using household income, including my partner, or alone.
    If I applied using household income, does it open doors in any way for my partner to be dragged in? Having to submit his payslips, bank statements etc?
    Is it commonplace for me to have to submit my bank statements, I shall start collating them if so.
  • 2ndTimeAround
    2ndTimeAround Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hello
    I think I need to be here now!
    Debt 15.5k all in Hubbys name
    Income 21k inc benefits
    Still working on SOA but looks like around 40 surplus a month

We've just set up a non-debt-linked current account. Will that get closed when he does the DRO? Should I try and get him to take his name off it before then?

Will his work have to be notified of the DRO?

What company is best to go with?

Do I work it out for household income entirely? I'm a stay at home mum and the child tax creds/benefits are in my name, should they be seperate?

We previously went bankrupt in 2009 after our business collapsed, will the OR give him a hard time?

Thank you
  • fatbelly
    Hello
    I think I need to be here now!
    Debt 15.5k all in Hubbys name
    Income 21k inc benefits
    Still working on SOA but looks like around 40 surplus a month

We've just set up a non-debt-linked current account. Will that get closed when he does the DRO? Should I try and get him to take his name off it before then?

Will his work have to be notified of the DRO?

What company is best to go with?

Do I work it out for household income entirely? I'm a stay at home mum and the child tax creds/benefits are in my name, should they be seperate?

We previously went bankrupt in 2009 after our business collapsed, will the OR give him a hard time?

Thank you

Bank accounts in credit don't get a mention in a DRO so in most cases your account carries on without problem. However, Nat West are known to trawl the register and downgrade to a basic account.

Having a joint financial product with someone who is insolvent is not a good idea - keep yourselves separate.

Work only gets notified if there is an attachment to earnings order.

Stepchange and CAB do most of them.

Let your intermediary do the calculations.

A 2009 bankruptcy is unlikely to be a problem, unless he was never discharged from it.
    Alex - that is possible. I've only got access to the England/Wales version.

But for England/Wales, in normal times, the payment goes through instantly and once submitted the DRO is usually approved 2 days later.

They do have a glitch at the moment and it's anyone's guess when that will be sorted.

Hi well in on the insolvency list after 16 days so it is taking a lot longer over here in Ni. The problem I have now is my name is spelt wrong ( a extra letter in my first name) I've emailed them but with the bank holiday I'm not expecting a reply till next week. Dies anyone know what happens with dro with the miss spelt name. Alex
  • fatbelly
    Hi well in on the insolvency list after 16 days so it is taking a lot longer over here in Ni. The problem I have now is my name is spelt wrong ( a extra letter in my first name) I've emailed them but with the bank holiday I'm not expecting a reply till next week. Dies anyone know what happens with dro with the miss spelt name. Alex

Shouldn't make any real difference but does need correcting
    Shouldn't make any real difference but does need correcting

Thanks very much fatbelly. I've just checked the letter with the barcode on it and it's miss spelt as well . It's my own fault for not checking before paying the £90.
    Thanks again Alex
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure