bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    15, 16 if you include the Falkland Islands
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 March 2018 at 9:45PM
    15, 16 if you include the Falkland Islands

Yeah, I spent three months down there in 1982, and never put a foot on the place. In fact the only time I saw daylight was when we went to Action Stations and I had to scurry across the hangar side-lift on the HERMES.

So I don't think the FI will count for me.:)
  • I am different to most of my friends and colleagues. I save up for big holidays. The last one I went on was 2014, the next one will be 2019 I hope. I went to Canada and visited many of the larger cities including Vancouver and and Toronto. I am planning on going to California next year with my family and I hope I can cover as many of the big sites as possible.
  • vtech19
    vtech19 Posts: 17 Forumite
    I've been to Germany and Finland, I spent a lot of time in both with long stays and really enjoyed my time there living with other families (my girlfriends family) although one thing I dislike about Finland is the -30c weather in winter... at least that's how it was in Oulu. Also stayed a while in Porvoo and Kotka. As for Germany I've visited Frankfurt, Munich, stayed a year in a small quiet and nice town called Wirges.
  • 814man
    814man Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My high number is work related as I was in the RAF for 22 years and got to fly all around the world visiting many wonderful places, all at taxpayers expense of course so thank you all very much. I also lived in Germany for ten years and Belize for two and since leaving I have continued to have a love of exploring and travel.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    814man wrote: »
    My high number is work related as I was in the RAF for 22 years and got to fly all around the world visiting many wonderful places, all at taxpayers expense of course so thank you all very much. I also lived in Germany for ten years and Belize for two and since leaving I have continued to have a love of exploring and travel.

Me too, for me the Foreign Office followed, lots more travel, and now with the FCO behind me the attraction of foreign pastures new is still there.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    Yeah, I spent three months down there in 1982, and never put a foot on the place.

I've spent a whole year down there, in 3 stints but I did travel all over the islands.
  • First travelled to Spain (when I was in mid Primary school) with Maw, Paw, Uncle and Aunt (to be) in 1958, before the package holiday boom changed the Costas into what they are now.

We flew to Perpignan (Girona had no airport then) and onwards on a coach - the air stewardess came around with boiled sweets to help with ear pressure !!!

Returned to same resort from early to mid 1960s and saw it transformed from a sleepy Catalan fishing village into a leading tourist resort, led by the Germans and Dutch.

Widely travelled since but still have a sentimental fondness for Costa Brava before it went commercial.

The Spaniards couldn't do enough to help innocents abroad.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    First travelled to Spain (when I was in mid Primary school) with Maw, Paw, Uncle and Aunt (to be) in 1958, before the package holiday boom changed the Costas into what they are now.

We flew to Perpignan (Girona had no airport then) and onwards on a coach - the air stewardess came around with boiled sweets to help with ear pressure !!!

Returned to same resort from early to mid 1960s and saw it transformed from a sleepy Catalan fishing village into a leading tourist resort, led by the Germans and Dutch.

Widely travelled since but still have a sentimental fondness for Costa Brava before it went commercial.

The Spaniards couldn't do enough to help innocents abroad.

What did you fly on,a Zeppelin:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • 37 for me, but I get nothing for Antarctica.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure