PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Electrical Cert for Rental

We had an electrical check and certificate issued in May 2013.

I have had another check on the property again and received the certificate.

The report has the address of the property under client and not my home address. (They know its a rental)
for client it says - current occupier
no house number on certificate.

With regard to test results.....
all circuits, Insulation resistance. If 2 is correct, is that very low.

I have been told the following
IR is in the range of 1 to 200+, and 1 or less is a fail requiring remedial work. I bet he hasn't measured each circuit, rather the IR of the whole board, which is fine if the readings are towards the top end, but in this case, with a reading of 2, he should have gone on to test each circuit separately.

Thanks
Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For an EICR he should have tested each circuit anyway.

IR of 2M is a fault of some sort and should be investigated. Usual culprit is any outside wiring if you have it on that circuit.
  • anselld wrote: »
    For an EICR he should have tested each circuit anyway.

IR of 2M is a fault of some sort and should be investigated. Usual culprit is any outside wiring if you have it on that circuit.

He tested 7 circuits -sockets downstairs, RCD, cooker, sockets upstairs, basement socket, washer pump and lights downstairs. For all IR they are 2

Another highlighted point was
    Nature of Supply Parameters, prospective fault current - He didn't measure it, he's just used the electricity company's theoretical maximum. In practice, it's nowhere near that figure in a domestic property

Surely if that is the case a cert should not have been issued?

I have concerns
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Well before you pay his invoice, ring him to get the details confirmed and the certificate re-issued.
  • 4 certificates later, we have the correct one.

If I hadn't shown it to an electrician friend (sadly who lives too far away from me) I would have loads of incorrect information on the cert. I really should not be telling him what to put on the cert.

From the error of IR of 2M being incorrect to the wrong type of wiring, 1-phase (2 wire) He put 3 wire. etc etc

He quoted me £120 + vat.

Am I within my right to not pay the full amount and does anyone know of a template letter?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    If he didn't even measure PFC then he did not do the job. How many other short cuts did he take. Certainly do no use him again.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    4 certificates later, we have the correct one.
    He quoted me £120 + vat.

Am I within my right to not pay the full amount and does anyone know of a template letter?

If indeed it is now correct (and he actually did the correct tests) then your complaints have been resolved. Poor performance but got there in the end.

I dont think you would have right to underpay without negotiation.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I recently paid £160 for an electrical inspection so £120+ vat is about right.
    Pay up as this is a tax deductible expense and proves the electrics are safe.
  • dimbo61 wrote: »
    I recently paid £160 for an electrical inspection so £120+ vat is about right.
    Pay up as this is a tax deductible expense and proves the electrics are safe.

Obviously you just decided to comment without reading about all the faults of the company.

They have agreed for us to only pay half of the bill

Safety is paramount to us, hence making sure the company did it right!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure