Non-fatal electrocution compensation

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jude_pmc wrote: »
    I want to advise a friend on how much compensation she should receive from UK Power Networks. Any info you can give me would be great.

Story so far..
    Bought her bungalow June 2016 and had the electrics checked by her electrician.
    Began to get shocks in summer 2017 but she doesn’t understand electricity so she thought it must be strangely strong static electricity.

December she had severe shock when in the shower so called out a plumber, who called in her electrician for her as she was so shaken.

Electrician arrives and tells her it is the mains.

UK power network arrives, plugs her house into the house next door over Christmas, digs up her hedge and fixes the disconnected lead. They told her that the small trees in her hedge probably caused the damage.

She asked for compensation and they immediately gave her the money she paid to the plumber and to her electrician.

I think they should give her much more.

A large amount of her hair has fallen out and the doctor has put her on anti-depressants. She is now very frightened of her home and yesterday got her electrician to check everything in her house (she says she is going to send this bill to UK Power Networks). I don’t know if this will reassure her, she is saying she intends to move although she has no savings to pay a move costs.

Please can you advise me how much compensation she should ask for or whether she has received all she has the right to?

How much do you think they should give her?
    Money doesn't always cure things.
    And it doesn't change the past.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    The Oxford English Dictionary says you’re wrong.
    That doesn't make it correct.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/electrocution?s=t
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Risteard wrote: »

Nor does that link make you correct.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    Look, it's a widely accepted fact that electrocution refers to fatal electric shock. If you can't accept that then I really don't care. You're still wrong.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Ok you two. You are you going way off topic with your 'discussion'
    But to help clarify....
    Electrocution is commonly referred to when the meaning is electric shock, by those not knowing any better. Much like the 'term' plug socket is used...does that mean plug or does that mean socket?

Electrocution by definition by qualified engineers, the law, forensics and medicine means death by electric shock. Death is thus very pertinent to it's definition despite what some dictionaries may state!

We all know what the OP meant even though the statement was not strictly correct but it is right tonpoint out the difference (as per Risteard's post) in case the claim is persued.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,328 Forumite
    I would say no compensation at all, because the power company were not negligent. This was a completely unforeseeable fault, that they could not have prevented.

I think they have been generous paying for the plumber and the electrician.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Risteard wrote: »
    Look, it's a widely accepted fact that electrocution refers to fatal electric shock. If you can't accept that then I really don't care. You're still wrong.

It’s widely accepted that it’s death or serious injury and not just something I’ve made up.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If she wants to claim more then she will need to demonstrate that UKPN were at fault. What was the nature of the fault to the cable (allegedly caused by the hedge) which caused her to get a shock whilst using the shower?

On the face of things, it is difficult to see how hedge roots alone could cause damage to an underground cable which would cause something in the shower to go live. There are certain types of failure on the distribution network which could cause a potentially dangerous situation to occur, but for this to have been caused by tree roots and to have gone on undetected for 6 months or more doesn't seem quite right.

Up and down the country there are thousands of very large trees growing in very close proximity to underground supply cables, and your friend's case would be the first one I've ever heard of where roots have damaged a cable to the point it became dangerous. On the other hand, root damage to drains and sewers happens all the time.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Risteard wrote: »
    Incidentally, there is no such thing as "non-fatal electrocution". Electrocution is a contraction of "electrical execution" which was coined for the electric chair. As such, electrocution is always fatal.

Just because a word once had a certain definition doesn't mean that it always stays the same as words and the definition of words evolves over time.

If someone looked at an electrical job you did and stated that it was awful, how would you feel?
    Well, "awful" originally meant that something was awe inspiring but this meaning has changed in the same way that electrocution is changing.
    This is known as an etymological fallacy.
    The assumption that the present-day meaning of a word should be/is similar to the historical meaning. This fallacy ignores the evolution of language and heart of linguistics. This fallacy is usually committed when one finds the historical meaning of a word more palatable or conducive to his or her argument.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    How is this even possible?

Surely the earth wiring to the property prevents this from happening?

Any electrical experts out there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport