Wimbledon College of Art interview - help

Options

Comments

• littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    The ONLY app you need for travel within greater London is citymapper. It covers train, tube, bus, tram as well as walking. It will even buzz you when it is time to get off the bus. Best of all it is accurate and tracks in real time, so updates as you go.

Thank you! sounds brilliant
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Travel from Reading into London to get there for 9am is peak rate and about 50 quid per person.

Trains to Reading from Scotland - there used to be a direct train from Glasgow to Reading going via lake district, Birmingham etc - might that be a better option if you could get her to Glasgow and put her on the train there??
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Student debt is only paid back as effectively a tax on income after graduating. If you don't earn enough to pay it all back it is written off. Martin Lewis has written about this on the main site. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking this is a debt in the same way that real debts are a burden.

If you have the choice of not having that tax, why wouldn't you consider that a bonus? It's a very very real cash impact.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have the choice of not having that tax, why wouldn't you consider that a bonus? It's a very very real cash impact.

Martin Lewis analysis here is that the vast majority of students won't pay back all of the loan, never mind pay any interest.

Threads discussing this on the student board.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    'Rich artist' is an oxymoron. The likelihood is that OP's daughter may not pay much if any back. But it's to be explored, just like any offers she gets from the other places she's applied to
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Point 1. Maybe it is me, maybe I am a harsh parent, but having had several children go through the university system and helped pay for various student accommodation no way would I encourage her to go out of Scotland, where the education element is free.

Point 2. If she is good enough to get into a good London Art School, she will get into a similar one in Scotland.

Point 3. As a parent, if I had a child with MH issues I would want to be able to get to them within a short time. You won't be in that position either in terms of distance, finance or work commitments.

Point 4. I would want to know that they could get home easily and relatively cheaply in those first few crucial weeks of settling in.

Knowing all the above I wouldn't feel at all guilty in trying very hard to dissuade her from going south. They are young adults with little life experience on which to base life-changing decisions, they need guidance and sometimes bluntness to enable them to see the pitfalls that could lie ahead due to personal circumstance.

You are acting in her best interests, try to remember that.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Point 1. Maybe it is me, maybe I am a harsh parent, but having had several children go through the university system and helped pay for various student accommodation no way would I encourage her to go out of Scotland, where the education element is free.

As an artist either she will make her fortune and be able to easily afford the 9% "graduate tax" or she will never earn enough for the repayments to have much impact.
    Point 2. If she is good enough to get into a good London Art School, she will get into a similar one in Scotland.

Just possibly she is brilliant and the opportunities at this Art school are outstanding, so it could be that this will put her in the top league of artists. I don;t know, but it is possible.
    Point 3. As a parent, if I had a child with MH issues I would want to be able to get to them within a short time. You won't be in that position either in terms of distance, finance or work commitments.

Point 4. I would want to know that they could get home easily and relatively cheaply in those first few crucial weeks of settling in.

Whole heartedly agree. These points are more important than the first two. But, her disappointment will have to be handled carefully.

I don't know if you can present it to her, that getting the interview was an accomplishment in itself and now is the time to take a step back.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    As an artist either she will make her fortune and be able to easily afford the 9% "graduate tax" or she will never earn enough for the repayments to have much impact.

Just possibly she is brilliant and the opportunities at this Art school are outstanding, so it could be that this will put her in the top league of artists. I don;t know, but it is possible.

Whole heartedly agree. These points are more important than the first two. But, her disappointment will have to be handled carefully.

I don't know if you can present it to her, that getting the interview was an accomplishment in itself and now is the time to take a step back.

Re point 1, I agree, but unfortunately, for many students with MH issues they do come to see the "debt" as a real and tangible thing and that has an effect on their overall MH.

Re point 2. This is the institution and how it is ranked....

https://university.which.co.uk/wimbledon-college-of-art-university-of-the-arts-london-u65

I agree the last two points are possibly the most important, but suspect that the student may not view them that way.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

Or like a huge number of grads end up in a job nothing to do with the degree topic, where she may or may not earn enough....

If I were anxious I'd avoid the student loans company and their awful deferal system if I possibly could.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter has been to interviews at 5 different Uni's, for every one, she had previously been to all their respective open days, one uni (her first choice) she went to two open days there, (i went to one with her) before her interview, to make sure that she was choosing the right one. I don't understand why the OP's daughter is going to an interview at a Uni which she has not even visited ? What is the point ? My daughter went to two open days and immediately said "i would never apply to go there, it was awful" It seems that her college are just trying to get her to apply for a Uni where she would be more likely to be offered a place rather than one that suits her circumstances ? Surely if they're aware of her mental health issues, they wouldn't recommend a Uni so far from home ? As her parent, i would be advising her to look closer to home too, IMO the interview will be a waste of time and money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure