Will I get slammed with charges by SKY?

My annual contract with SKY ends on 28 March. I found a good deal from TalkTalk and signed up for it over the phone. It will come into effect on 14 Feb. Will I have to pay cancellation charges by SKY other than the one months subscription left till the end of my contract?
....Illegitimi non carborundum

...don't let the illegitimate ones grind you down....

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you read the terms and conditions on the Sky website you will see that you will just be billed for the remaining time on your minimum term. It is not hard to find this info.
  • miserable_ol_so_n_so
    miserable_ol_so_n_so Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 January 2018 at 7:47PM
    wongataa wrote: »
    If you read the terms and conditions on the Sky website you will see that you will just be billed for the remaining time on your minimum term. It is not hard to find this info.

Thanks for your reply. I find these terms and conditions extremely intricate. In my opinion, you need to be a lawyer to grasp what exactly the customer has signed up to. I have already received a text informing me that charges will be applied, and requesting me to call them.
    ....Illegitimi non carborundum

...don't let the illegitimate ones grind you down....
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    With all due respect you signed up for Sky for the agreed 12/18 months and you want to leave early. The T&Cs for all these minimum term packages from Sky (and other providers) specifically state they are entitled to charge you if you leave them early before the agreed date. In a lot of cases this states as much in the key product information which draws you in before you go anywhere near the "Buy" button and again during checkout.

With all due respect once again, if you don't understand what the T&Cs are saying you should ideally find somebody else who does or seek clarification from the new provider before you join them rather than 11 or 17 months down the line when a better deal comes along. Just my two cents because again with respect, you're not the first to post on sites like this with questions that have answers in the T&Cs and you won't be the last.

The request from Sky to call them is basically their attempt now to try and keep you as a customer. They may be able to match or better the TalkTalk deal. It may be worth pursuing while you're in your cooling off period and it may involve a new 12/18 month contract as well.
  • wongataa
    Thanks for your reply. I find these terms and conditions extremely intricate. In my opinion, you need to be a lawyer to grasp what exactly the customer has signed up to. I have already received a text informing me that charges will be applied, and requesting me to call them.
    Sky make it very easy. Go to the Sky website. Click on help at the top of the page. Select Broadband. Select manage your account. In the Sky subscription section there is a link called "Charges for ending your Sky contract early". This gives you all the info you want.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's not a one year contract, and it doesn't end on 28/3. It's a one year minimum term, which continues to run until such time as you give your 30 days notice.
    Since you are switching before the end of the minimum term, there will be an early cancellation charge added.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • SeeMe
    SeeMe Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My minimum 12 months term is up on march 7th, Sky BB unlimited and free line rental £18.99.
    I am thinking of switching to BT infinity, if i start the switch on say 1st march does that count as my 30 day notice? and by the time the switch completes it should be past my minimum term 12 months.
    Only thing i have to think about is if i can make do with the 30 gb a month allowance.
    The unlimited infinity is to expensive for me.
  • wongataa
    macman wrote: »
    It's not a one year contract, and it doesn't end on 28/3. It's a one year minimum term, which continues to run until such time as you give your 30 days notice.
    Since you are switching before the end of the minimum term, there will be an early cancellation charge added.
    If you cancel a Sky contract inside the minimum term all you will be charged is what you would have paid for the rest of the minimum term.
  • SeeMe wrote: »
    My minimum 12 months term is up on march 7th, Sky BB unlimited and free line rental £18.99.
    I am thinking of switching to BT infinity, if i start the switch on say 1st march does that count as my 30 day notice? and by the time the switch completes it should be past my minimum term 12 months.
    Only thing i have to think about is if i can make do with the 30 gb a month allowance.
    The unlimited infinity is to expensive for me.
    wongataa wrote: »
    If you cancel a Sky contract inside the minimum term all you will be charged is what you would have paid for the rest of the minimum term.

Correct, and BT have a decent deal on at the moment https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#btfibre

BTW @SeeMe, phone/LR/BB contracts tend to be 14 day notice, not 30.
  • i signed up to talk talk ,lured by a cashback deal....the service is awful,frequent crashes when more than 2 mobiles and a laptop are in use,i have got exactly what i paid for...i will revert back to plusnet or sky once my contract is up in dec,having used both of these companies previously and never having the issues i now experience.would read reviews for tt,s service in your area....something i didn,t do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure