2»

Comments

• mylegalthrowaway
    mylegalthrowaway Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2017 at 6:04PM
    Thread no longer needed
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    That might, indeed, be the case, but they already have it in writing from me that I guarantee to provide acknowledgement of receipt, so if that is the issue, it's a moot point.
    A receipt is something you agree to do on promise after the event, and as there is this existing tension, I can see why the executor is unwilling.
    I had a similar situation whereby a beneficiary wanted a BACS transfer and refused a cheque, after consulting my solicitor, I was advised not to transfer the funds electronically for various reasons. Creating a paper trail was one, and possible diversion of funds was another (there were other more minor reasons).
  • Margot123 wrote: »
    A receipt is something you agree to do on promise after the event, and as there is this existing tension, I can see why the executor is unwilling.
    I had a similar situation whereby a beneficiary wanted a BACS transfer and refused a cheque, after consulting my solicitor, I was advised not to transfer the funds electronically for various reasons. Creating a paper trail was one, and possible diversion of funds was another (there were other more minor reasons).
    Absolutely correct. The cheque. if crossed A/C payee is a fairly, but not, certain, way of ensuring it goes to the correct recipient.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    But it does not provide a receipt for the executor, and where there appears to be a lack of trust on both sides then the executor is quite within their rights to insist on a method that guarantee one is provided.
  • unforeseen wrote: »
    But it does not provide a receipt for the executor, and where there appears to be a lack of trust on both sides then the executor is quite within their rights to insist on a method that guarantee one is provided.
    Which a paid cheque provides. If it came to court that would suffice.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thanks for all your advice!

It’s considered bad form to delete content like this. You may not need the info but it might be useful to someone else luckily once posted it’s always still there in cyberspace :D

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5754220

Can the executor of a will dictate how a beneficiary receives their inheritance?

I've been left a sum of money in my grandparent's will, but the executor of the will, who lives at the opposite end of the country, is demanding I meet them in person to collect the funds. I've told them this isn't possible, and suggested alternatives (BACS, cheque), but they're refusing to budge.

Can they legally dictate how the money's transferred to me?
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Would also be nice to know what the outcome has been.
    Has the situation been resolved, or does the OP have concerns they have identified themselves however unlikely?
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Perhaps either OP or the executor decided to be less stubborn & the situation is resolved.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I don't think anything that OP has written identifies them. Even if the solution itself seemed very individual, they could have posted 'I'm afraid the solution might identify us'. Otherwise, as said, this thread is of no use to anyone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure