possible statute barred debt help please

Options
I've got a debt that's over 6 years old. The creditor has sold this onto a collections agency. They are still adding defaults onto my account since Apr 15.

Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2017 at 7:07PM
    Options
    2004arron wrote: »
    I've got a debt that's over 6 years old. The creditor has sold this onto a collections agency. They are still adding defaults onto my account since Apr 15.

It depends. Have you made any payments towards or formally admitted liability for the debt in the last 6 years? Also when was the default originally registered (don't look at the month by month bit, look in the information above - there will be a date defaulted there)
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    2004arron wrote: »

As has been said, its what was your last payment date and what was the default date. The default date shouldn't change now its sold on to a collections agency, though they may add a new default with their name, but the original date and then the original creditor will remove theirs.
    People often mistakenly think its the age of the debt that counts, e.g. a mobile taken out 7 years ago but last payment made to the company was 5.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 September 2017 at 4:17PM
    Options
    Arron,

Always best to start a new post, which i`ve done for you.

I have also moved it to the correct forum.

Answers to above questions will tell us more.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure