DVLA Medical Terrible Service Very Slow

Rosie_Flowers
Rosie_Flowers Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 15 January 2014 at 2:51PM in Disability money matters
Sorry but I also posted this in the Motoring section. I didn't realise this area existed and this may be more relevant here:

I was a driver until some health problems and then when I notified the DVLA my licence was revoked. I decided to reapply for my licence. It seems to be taking an exceptionally long time given that the revoking was a very quick process in which I was ordered by the DVLA to act immediately under the threats of a £1,000 fine!

The DVLA have had medical notes back from my medical people but sent a letter saying it will now take up to 12 weeks which seems a long time.

I am interested to know if anyone else is in this situation or if I am some kind of "special case" that is taking a long time. It seems a very lengthy process for what really seems to be quite a simple box ticking and form filling exercise.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It won't be any comfort, but this isn't a new problem ...

I had this years ago, although it didn't help that my consultant consistently failed to respond to the letters the DVLA were sending him.

I hadn't had my licence revoked, but I was in a category of 'people who should not drive'. Eventually I had a conversation which went along the lines of 'I can't say that it's OK for you to drive, because I am not medically qualified, but I can't see any reason why we'd say it's not OK for you to drive in the paperwork I have in front of me. If you can get your GP to say that it's OK for you to drive, then it's OK for you to drive.'

Also FIL has to renew his licence at regular intervals. It takes forever, and they keep saying he CAN drive, whereas MIL wishes they would tell him to stop!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • I've not, but I am about to reapply for my licence back after it was revoked in 2012! Need to speak to my psychiatrist at next appointment as hoping he will provide a new medical report for the DVLA!
  • only_mee
    only_mee Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am waiting till i have the letter from the hospital, from an appointment last week, to re-apply for mine all in one go.Me supplying it will hopefully make the process quicker......not holding my breath though.
  • only_mee wrote: »
    I am waiting till i have the letter from the hospital, from an appointment last week, to re-apply for mine all in one go.Me supplying it will hopefully make the process quicker......not holding my breath though.

Good luck and I feel for you. Having got involved in this I wish I had never done the right thing and got my licence revoked. I only did it because it was the right thing.
  • only_mee
    Thank you, but if you have a condition that is on the DVLA website, and you don't tell them it can be a £1,000 fine.
    I'll update this thread as and when :)
  • peterm41
    peterm41 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 January 2014 at 6:46PM
    I am, unfortunately, in the same position. Reapplied for my licence 3 months ago(applied in October 2013 after the ok from my doc and the ok to apply from the DVLA and they are in possession of all medical reports etc) after a medical revocation and was sent a letter just after Christmas to say it would be a further 12 weeks AT LEAST before a decision was made on licence issue!!!! This is, apparently, a workload issue. So your not alone in this.....
  • only_mee
    Still waiting for my hospital (copied to me) letter so i can send it all away together.Eight days ago my appointment was :(
  • only_mee
    Hospital letter still not arrived, despite being promised it was sent, then to ring again to find out it wasn't, have sent all my forms or yesterday that i could, play the waiting game now.
  • I initially sent my licence back on 21st Nov,apparentley there is a 3 month backlog to contend with...?
  • only_mee
    constheory wrote: »
    I initially sent my licence back on 21st Nov,apparentley there is a 3 month backlog to contend with...?

Wonderful news lol
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure