Nice towns and villages around Glasgow

Comments

• Belnahua
    Belnahua Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Helensburgh? It's just in Argyll but has a regular commuter train into Glasgow!

And you can hop on a train to Oban/Fort William for days out? Nice golf course just up the A82. Loch Lomond for boating. Balloch for shopping.
    A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    im in motherwell,i wouldnt recommend moving here to be honest,well not just now anyway.
    i also wouldnt recommend hamilton,it has nice parts but they are just to close to the not so nice parts.
    also forget larkhall unless you enjoy being surrounded by mindless bigots and not having anything in the town with the colour green in it,including cars, telecom boxes and even traffic lights.
    if i were you i would look at places like strathaven,lovely village,good pubs and generally friendly place with the countryside at your finger tips,but can be a bit backwards at times.
    or what about dumbarton area? close to the city centre but equally as close to loch lomond.
    or maybe falkirk area? plenty of nice housing developments being built there and handy for stirling and glasgow.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Many of the towns like Strathavan have as much trouble as the larger towns. Some of the good schools are OK if you have bright kids but don't deal well with young people who don't mix well or under achieve. A town mentioned earlier in the discussion (not in this post) with a good school has a real problem with bullying. You need to get to know an area to see if it suits you.
  • t1gger
    t1gger Posts: 89 Forumite
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions and advice.

Strathaven doesn't have a train station so that's a showstopper for us. We'll definitely check out the others though, infact we're going to see some today.

Was in Hamilton yesterday watching the football, took a wee drive around and thought it looked ok. Understand about it being very mixed now though. We saw some nice houses but right next to them some awful looking ones, half of which were boarded up!

Definitely agree with getting to know the place thoroughly, especially as we don't want to move again after this for a long time (we've been moving around loads in the past few years).

Many thanks again!
  • moneysaver
    moneysaver Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    What about Kirkintilloch? My daughter lives there & loves it. She did not come from there originally but when she moved there 3yrs ago the neighbours welcomed her with open arms. It is a very nice street she stays in, all the gardens are very tidy & well looked after. She commutes to the west end of Glasgow & thinks it is ok.

Moneysaver
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Stirling has good travel links - about 30miles from Glasgow. Different house prices for different areas.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• sandiep
    sandiep Posts: 915 Forumite
    If you want to get a lot more bricks for your pound, then you'd be surprised how much cheaper things are south of Ayr. Girvan is currently really well priced, For example 4 bed ensuite bedroom house with Wimpey selling Troon area for near £300k is £100k cheaper in Girvan.

Schools are quite good too. A77 road improvements and the train mean that Girvan is only just over an hour from Central Glasgow by road or train (it takes me about 1hr 15, hubby does it within the hour!!)

£30bn being invested in Turnberry Hotel to take it to 7 star status means the area is looking quite good.

Thing with Scotland all over is that there are no clear "good" and "bad" areas, it is much more jumbled up than most towns down south. For example, if you take Troon, most of the houses with the sea views are the housing association ones (but that's just because they act as a windbreak for the posh houses :) )
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Strathaven doesn't have a train station but excellent reliable express bus service direct to Glasgow (the bus often made it into Glasgow when cars didn't :confused: ) It's a good place to live with younger kids, not so good for teenagers. Similarly other places around the Clyde valley, and although no train stations, many people I know park and ride at Larkhall station.

You can get an express train from Stirling to Glasgow (25 minutes) or 40 minutes for the usual trains - about 4 an hour. (I live in Stirling so biased - I love it - great place to live). Good shopping centre, good restaurants and you can be in the wilds in 15 minutes.

Used to live in Hamilton - can't think of anything to say that would recommend it! Also lived in EK but it's changed so much since then no idea what it's like now.

I've always had to be able to travel to the East, North and South with work so have never considered Ayrshire or Renfrewshire. I couldn't bear the thought of driving on the M8 regularly...

Hope you find something!
  • thefenman
    thefenman Posts: 238 Forumite
    Belnahua wrote: »
    Helensburgh? It's just in Argyll but has a regular commuter train into Glasgow!

And you can hop on a train to Oban/Fort William for days out? Nice golf course just up the A82. Loch Lomond for boating. Balloch for shopping.

I recently had the pleasure of visiting Helensburgh to visit an old friend (not seen for 60 years) and I was most taken with the town. As Belnahua says, on the one hand you have all the attractions of a big city and on the other the Highlands and Islands. From where my friend lived, there were splendid views across the Clyde.

Rather wish now that I'd discovered it sooner and maybe retired there.
  • greyheid
    greyheid Posts: 33 Forumite
    am surprised know one has said my home town of paisley yet :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills