The London Mint Office - scam?

Comments

• I ordered a WW1 commemoration coin from London Mint Office for £2.50, which may be a loss-leader as the coin arrived in an elegant presentation package with space for seven more. It appears to be a respectable coin, but bears the word 'GIBRALTAR', and if you look carefully at LMO's top web page you will see this. Oddly, LMO's text does not mention Gibraltar, although it lists a number of countries for which it claims to be an official distributor. The Royal Mint tells me to refer to the Gibraltar Monetary Authority, no reference to which I can find. However, the coin bears the Queen's head and the face value 'Half Crown', and Gibraltar coins are legal currency in UK, so presumably it is technically worth 12.5 p. So if it is endorsed by Gibraltar by appointment to etc, fine, otherwise there may be accommodation waiting for someone in the Tower of London.
  • Gibraltar coins are legal currency in UK

No they aren't. The only currency that classes as legal tender in the UK are Sterling coins and notes issued by either the Royal Mint (coins) of the Bank of England (notes).
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No they aren't. The only currency that classes as legal tender in the UK are Sterling coins and notes issued by either the Royal Mint (coins) of the Bank of England (notes).

Not quite correct, Scotland has its own banknotes issued by 3 Scottish banks
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Not quite correct, Scotland has its own banknotes issued by 3 Scottish banks

I know, but even though they are Sterling banknotes, they are still not classed as legal tender. They are legal currency but not legal tender (even in Scotland itself).
    https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes/legal-position.html
    Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland.
  • accorian
    accorian Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As someone unfortunate enough to have to live in Carlisle, I can assure you that day in, day out, "Scottish" bank notes are passed back and forth here between customers and retailers. Nobody stops to get into arcane arguments about what's legal tender and what isn't. then again, nobody seemingly remembers that Scotland had its own bank and banknotes before the Bank of England.

I can't imagine trying to pass a Scottish note in some far-flung foreign terrain like Surrey, but in northern England -- and especially, the Border Lands -- it's anything but unusual or comment worthy. :(
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    accorian wrote: »

I can't imagine trying to pass a Scottish note in some far-flung foreign terrain like Surrey, but in northern England -- and especially, the Border Lands -- it's anything but unusual or comment worthy. :(

Even 50 yrs ago as far south as Scotch Corner (N Yorks), Scottish banknotes were accepted without question
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Xircom
    Xircom Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello

so I had a delivery today addressed to me for a coin I looked at but never ordered and never completed any purchase details, no credit card, no bank nothing. So I called answer machine, I emailed no response so this is what I did
    I wrapped it backup in original packaging
    I then placed in a seal envelope with a note outlining my conditions, cold telephone call £25.00 Ex Vat, Cold Email £130.00 Ex Vat Cold Letter £300.00 Ex VAT, Cold Package £500.00 Ex VAT I explained that I consider this unsolicited mail / marketing which is illegal, and if they send any more letters, packages to myself, my company or any members of my family I will take legal action ; I then placed that envelope in side another envelope with a note saying "thank you for opening this package, with opening this parcel you agree to my terms and conditions" I then sent this back to the London Office (Not the PO Box in Cardiff) sent it Tracked, Insured and they have to sign for it.

Fun being that when they open it it all above board they have agreed to my T&C so when I get the next letter or delivery I will invoice them accordingly and after 30 days I start a CCJ against them for unpaid invoice in accordance with my Terms and Conditions as agreed when they opened the package. Cost Return £4.00 to open a CCJ £35.00 fun value priceless........
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Xircom wrote: »
    Hello

so I had a delivery today addressed to me for a coin I looked at but never ordered and never completed any purchase details, no credit card, no bank nothing.
    If you just looked at the coin, how did they get hold of your address?
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pollycat wrote: »
    If you just looked at the coin, how did they get hold of your address?

There may be virus(es) in that PC 😊
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Xircom wrote: »
    Hello

so I had a delivery today addressed to me for a coin I looked at but never ordered and never completed any purchase details, no credit card, no bank nothing. So I called answer machine, I emailed no response so this is what I did
    I wrapped it backup in original packaging
    I then placed in a seal envelope with a note outlining my conditions, cold telephone call £25.00 Ex Vat, Cold Email £130.00 Ex Vat Cold Letter £300.00 Ex VAT, Cold Package £500.00 Ex VAT I explained that I consider this unsolicited mail / marketing which is illegal, and if they send any more letters, packages to myself, my company or any members of my family I will take legal action ; I then placed that envelope in side another envelope with a note saying "thank you for opening this package, with opening this parcel you agree to my terms and conditions" I then sent this back to the London Office (Not the PO Box in Cardiff) sent it Tracked, Insured and they have to sign for it.

Fun being that when they open it it all above board they have agreed to my T&C so when I get the next letter or delivery I will invoice them accordingly and after 30 days I start a CCJ against them for unpaid invoice in accordance with my Terms and Conditions as agreed when they opened the package. Cost Return £4.00 to open a CCJ £35.00 fun value priceless........

Sorry to have to say this, but your post gives every impression of being written by someone more interested in showing off like a barrack room lawyer than an individual legitimately worried about how your personal details came to be in the hands of this outfit.

Playing games -- as you are -- with these people is absolutely not to be recommended, unless you've an inexplicable desire to waste your time on them.

You can't invent a load of waffle and then contend that waffle represents the terms and conditions of a meaningful legal contract: a Distroct judge would laugh you out of court, with perhaps a fine for wasting her / his time. Nor can you claim (unless you want to look like a complete fool) that someone opening an envelope in order to access its contents is ipso facto bound by whatever nonsensical T&Cs might've been dreamt up and stuffed inside it.

Unless you are a VAT registered trader, telling folks that your charges are exclusive of VAT is an embarrassing irrelevance and made all the more so in light of the fact that the Courts have held that VAT is levyable on goods and services, but not on any kind of imposed penalty. Your apparent lack of acquaintance with 1999 legislation relating to unfair terms in contracts isn't helping you much, either.

It would seem that the most useful activity you can undertake is to follow the advice of other posters here and subject your computer to a thorough virus scan. After all: there must be some explanation for The London Mint Office suddenly entering your life in the way you describe. :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback