Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• uncletomcobbly
    uncletomcobbly Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2015 at 4:01PM
    WeSwap via MSE link

Yes, I signed up for WeSwap through the MSE link too, loaded £50, but haven't received the £10 bonus yet. The card arrived in the post today, and I've activated it. My first swap is due to complete tomorrow.

I've emailed WeSwap support asking for my account to be credited, so I'll update this post if/when I get a response...

Update: Just had an email saying my £10 has now been credited to my account - which it has. No idea if this is related to my email to WeSwap customer support though.
  • Hi

I am going to portugal in just over 2 weeks and would like to get a prepaid travel card. I will only be putting on £360/€500. I want to use ATMs to take out cash as we are going all inclusive we like to have a bit of money a day. Don't really want to take all cash and fork out for a safe. We have a santander and natwest current account but as we are going to Portugal I know the free ATM fee will not be allowed by santander.

Any suggestions or would travellers cheques be better
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Hi

I am going to portugal in just over 2 weeks and would like to get a prepaid travel card. I will only be putting on £360/€500. I want to use ATMs to take out cash as we are going all inclusive we like to have a bit of money a day. Don't really want to take all cash and fork out for a safe. We have a santander and natwest current account but as we are going to Portugal I know the free ATM fee will not be allowed by santander.

Any suggestions or would travellers cheques be better

Metro Bank Debit
  • hellofcd
    hellofcd Posts: 6 Forumite
    The £10 bonus credit has now been added to my account, seems to just take a bit of time.
  • Metro Bank Debit

HI it looks like you have to open the account in branch but there are none to where I live in Stockport any other ideas
  • I have used Weswap prepaid card for last 5 months in Malta and Prague with absolutely no problems. Cash withdrawels and purchases with card effortles. Easy to load - have loaded Euros and USDollars obtaining great rates. Be aware that if you delay the swap to take advantage of the lowest charge of 1% you are subject to the exchange rate movements during to period prior to completion of the swap. No hesitation in recommending on experience so far.
  • Hi all,

It could of course just be me pressing the wrong buttons.

I downloaded the "WeSwap" app, applied for and have received my MasterCard......BUT I am now having problems logging into my account and (for me at least!) the site is not user friendly.

I downloaded the "Revolut" app and today have managed to create an account (I think!) but each time I try to confirm my identity (using passport details) the screen says 'VERIFICATION FAILED' and then the site promptly crashes. It does appear that I have been allocated a MasterCard which will apparently be printed tomorrow and will then be posted to me......I am not holding my breath!

I will post my future successes/failures/frustrations as they unfold.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    buddle wrote: »
    Since Caxton fx have changed to MasterCard rather than visa the sms balance and load function no longer works "they have not implemented it yet, but hope to have it in place by end of the year". This was one of the cards most useful functions I thought, so am looking for another card

Caxton seems to have gone out of favour (it never gets a mention on here even as a choice which is.. strange ;)) although its a better than the FairfX for me. No fees, no foreign cashpoint charges - simple as that.

Didn't know about the SMS but I use the android phone app and check balance or reload when I am on free wifi in my hotel, works fine.

I have just bunged a few more quid on mine at 1.407 euro/£ its not the very best rate but in line with most pre-ordered currency rates.

All I need now is the Germans to keep stuffing cash in the Greek cashpoints for another month or so and we are good.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Any update on how good/bad or even trustworthy the Revolut card is....I'm travelling to the Caribbean, USA & Canada soon & am thinking of using the Revolut card but am a little sceptical.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Electro247 wrote: »
    Any update on how good/bad or even trustworthy the Revolut card is....I'm travelling to the Caribbean, USA & Canada soon & am thinking of using the Revolut card but am a little sceptical.

Make sure that you have options.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure