Can you get fit without a gym

Comments

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    the MSE guide to free outdoor gyms is on the main site :)

FREE outdoor gyms – could you save £100s a year on gym membership?
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I will throw another vote in for Parkrun (and maybe in the few years Junior Parkrun for the wee one). It is great for fitness and motivation AND generally there is a brilliant community around it so you can meet a wide array of people from the super-fits down to mere mortals working through couch to 5k programs. The whole point of it is that it is free and totally inclusive regardless of background or ability.

I did this map of the various Parkrun events :

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1C8azBRuoCXmwpaWqMWJnFG5mkBMMEoJv&ll=53.047141722536374%2C-1.8825355333353855&z=7
  • Yes, you can, all you have to do is to stay motivated.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 January 2019 at 10:13PM
    Enroll your 3 yo in some sort of class at the Center where you can do something as well. I had years of going to gymbwhile my daughter was dancing.
    Another vote for cycle to work as well.
    Befriend other parents for a child swap once a week giving both of you child free afternoon once.
    One who wants finds the way , one who does not finds excuses ..
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Yep. Running is a great way to get fit without a gym. I'd suggest the NHS couch to 5k podcast series, and then get stuck in with your local park run. I recommend getting some decent running trainers too. Up and Running (if you have one locally) measure your gate and suggest the correct trainers, and they offer this service for free. You can then shop around for what they recommend.

If you tie this in with some strength training, the lbs will drop off and you will be much fitter. There are plenty of at home training programmes which centre around strength training. I tried P90X, all you need are some dumbbells and a pull up bar. It offers a full body workout, concentrating on different muscle groups each day. Shop around for P90X videos and the timetable. Or you know, acquire it some other way.

HTH!
    THE BIGGEST_MINT
  • You can take online training. There are lots of online trainers.
  • ianbar0
    ianbar0 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    without a doubt possible few things have already been mentioned like park run which is free and usually well attended so lots of motivation to push yourself.

joe wicks and many many like him are also good....just be aware he doesn't look that good by doing just 15 min intervals and eating well but intervals are a good way of boosting your metabolism.

you sound busy anyway so generally you might be quite aerobically fit.
    £18 for my old mobile.
    new proper meal planning to cut spending.
    £26 in coppers taken to bank.
    £30 under grocery budget last 2 weeks.
    £22.98 cashback quidco
    £34.02 music magpie
  • mazzykinsxo
    mazzykinsxo Posts: 23 Forumite
    YouTube is your friend. Loads of free fitness video's you can do at home :)
  • To get fit and doing gym is very important even when you have children. I advice you to frequent usually a fitness room and walk about 10 minutes every day. It’s help to get fit and to have dream body. It is also good for health.
  • I try to use my bike as much as possible to get fit, but it depends on distances you have to cover every day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure