Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 10:27 AM
    • 3,582Posts
    • 19,238Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 10:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 10:27 AM
    .....25/11/2018 ......
    I have decided to update as its been ages since I started this thread and so much has changed including my priorities.....

We gained a puppy after starting this thread and although she is a handful she has given me something to focus on and to get up for each day.

DS split from one long-term gf and is now several months into a new relationship and started a new job and seems very happy.

Sadly DM passed away suddenly this year and I miss her every day. Then DF was seriously ill in hospital with sepsis and almost died but thankfully he found the strength to pull through and is making a full recovery physically. We are supporting one another emotionally as a family.

I started this thread with the focus on saving some money. That hasn't happened and I have ended up with some debt on a 0% credit card but it is being paid off as planned and I am still managing to pay all bills and still have some money to spend with friends. I am planning to start saving for an emergency fund in the new year 2019.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-11-2018 at 6:52 AM.
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 898
    Emergency fund 0/500
Page 64
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Apr 19, 8:47 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Following on from earlier post ....Have just checked and cash back on house insurance with Halifax last year was 50 so reduced the overall price to 167. This year switching to direct line is cheapest at 176.96 so small increase of 9.96 instead of renewal price of 273.83 !
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 09-04-2019 at 8:50 PM.
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Apr 19, 8:42 AM
    • 13,973 Posts
    • 47,479 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done, what would we do without the internet to save us money. I feel so sorry for people that do not have the internet to do this.
    Christmas Fund 148
    Reminder: June Spending on fleabay 6.99
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 13th Apr 19, 5:06 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    I agree SW, it seems completely unfair that the people who most need that savings that the internet offers (pensioners and low income families) are the least likely to be able to afford to have access to it The difference between what all the different companies charge for exactly the same cover is bonkers (but nice job Skinty on savings!)
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 6,325.45 / 6,000
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 6,325.45 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 10,325.45 / 30,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 232 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 06/06/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Oct 2052
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Apr 19, 10:12 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Had another good saving today. I am so lucky DF is gifting me some money and the fridge freezer I want has 50 off so I have ordered it to arrive on Friday yay ! No more fixing my broken one with a hairdryer should have enough left to get a new pair of walking shoes and some new socks as mine all have holes He has also given me his old TV as he has a new one and his old one is bigger and better sound quality than mine

I got up to feed puppy dog at 6am and I realised I forgot my young nieces birthday on Monday but had a card in my stash 59p and a first class stamp so I went to postbox in my pj's at 6.30am hopefully should arrive on time.

I went back to bed for a few hours then I took puppy dog for a run around the field this morning. Did some tidying and dishes and hoovered dog carpet & kitchen tiled floor. DF has arrived and bought us all Chinese for tea. DS walked the dog this evening so I had a nice relaxing end to the day.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 13-04-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Apr 19, 9:45 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Wow we have been so busy I'm exhausted

Sunday was nice and relaxing though. DS and his gf took me and DF out to a lovely country pub for Sunday lunch which was lovely. DS paid

Monday was spent preparing the front forecourt for cementing and getting supplies. DF also fixed the front porch for me. I held the ladder and passed the screws. I also dropped off some old clothes at the clothes bank and popped into morresons.

Also my co2 detector died and the battery on my smoke alarm ! I am undecided which co2 detector to get and have looked at a few online. DF cut the grass for me while I walked the dog.

Today after I walked the dog we went into town to sort money transfer. I treated myself to a small bottle of perfume from next 4. Then another trip to diy store for more cementing supplies and a new battery for my smoke alarm plus a quick trip to tesco. We are trying to buy food as needed to run down stocks for my new fridge freezer coming Friday.

DF put some wood filler on the doorway (chewed by puppy dog !) and fixed the dado rail (chewed by dog!). He also managed to salvage the handle off a broom with no bristles onto a broom with a broken metal handle which I use for scrubbing the patio. Very MSE saves me buying a replacement and the broken bits can go to the tip when we go later in the week.

Tomorrow morning we are cementing as long as it's not raining and I am going to lunch with a friend as it's her birthday. I have a card from my stash and a fox mug she wanted 4.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 16-04-2019 at 9:53 PM.
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Apr 19, 10:50 AM
    • 13,973 Posts
    • 47,479 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Crumbs have you been busy or what?!!!!Hurrah for new fridge freezer at a good price. Your dad and DS sound marvellous. They are busy bees all helping you I am so glad you deserve it. I hope the building work is quick to do as it is quite stressful.

Yay to Chinese food. All I am eating is crackers lol.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Apr 19, 7:18 AM
    • 13,973 Posts
    • 47,479 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I have 5 days left of my holiday. My parents come tomorrow. I am so happy and the weather is going to be nice.

I ate a normal breakfast this morning and am still holding it down hurrah. All is well.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Apr 19, 7:20 AM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Concreting the patch of front forecourt floor went well yesterday. Thankfully it was only a small patch ! I did the fetching of tools and water

Lunch was at local pub. Friend liked her card and present. We had 2 meals for 9.99 I paid for her birthday but she bought drinks 5. I treated us to a child's dessert each, gooey chocolate brownie & ice cream 1.15 each. They brought hers out with a candle in it

Somehow we managed to lose my front door key not sure if I lost it walking puppy dog as DF was out starting concreting when I got back and the front door was open so I don't remember hanging it up. But DF went to my car to get bags of stone and heard a splash in the street drain which he thought was a stone but coułd have been the door key & may have dropped it as it wasn't attached to my car keys. Either way I have to get a new front door lock & keys today 10.99 from screw fix so not too expensive ! Just a bit of a pain.

Trip to tip today. DS & gf walking puppy dog. Going out for food with DF later when DS gone to work. Hope it's sunny again today.
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Apr 19, 10:50 AM
    • 13,973 Posts
    • 47,479 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am sorry about the key it may still turn up (probably after you have paid for a new one though as that's happened to me before!). Well done on front part of house that has saved you loads. The weather is lovely today. I hope you get to have a lovely walk.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Apr 19, 5:23 AM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Door lock replaced & 3 keys 10.99 peace of mind - priceless. At least I know no one unwanted can let themselves in.

Trip to tip - Declutter week 16. Old hosepipe, bits of wood, dug out dead tree trunk, old footstool had for over 20 years never got round to covering, old broken chest drawers, dog chewed bookcase, broken co2 detector, broken bits of sweeping brush, couple bags soil dug out from front forecourt now concreted.

Took DF to weetherspoons for curry day to say thanks. Curry, rice, nan bread & popadoms plus drink 8.05 each. We had a walk round the marina after in the warm sun. Then popped into town so DF could sort some banking and I got some clips for DS for his fresh coffee bags 75p in wilko (2.50 in WH Smith !) and a leg of lamb half price in tesco 12.02. We will have a roast on Sunday with DS & gf before DF heads home on Monday. If the weather's too hot we will have roast lamb with new potatoes & salad rather than a full roast.

Have ordered a new paddling pool for puppy dog 12 should arrive next week. This one is solid plastic so she shoułdnt be abłe to make a hole in it
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 19-04-2019 at 5:28 AM.
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Apr 19, 9:03 AM
    • 13,973 Posts
    • 47,479 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for yum curry. Hurrah for all of your family's hard work. It sounds like you have a new house. Weather is glorious here bet it is nicer by you. Enjoy it.

You should have ordered a hot tub for yourself as well as a pool for lil puppy.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Apr 19, 5:15 AM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Sadly not a new house, just maintenance and tidying up. I cannot keep up with the weeding of the front forecourt so cementing will stop them coming up and makes the place look better.

I went to bnq early yesterday and the car park was already packed ! Tin of wood stain to patch in where DF has repaired the dado rail / skirting after puppy dog chewed them - 10. DS & gf took puppy dog out for the day. My new fridge freezer arrived it's fab. Took down dog stair gate and cleaned / tidied and hoovered through after it arrived & old one was taken away. Load of washing dried in the glorious sunshine.

No jobs planned for today. Am going for a walk with DF and we may get pub lunch if not too packed.
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Apr 19, 10:09 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Had a lovely coastal walk with DF on Saturday and called for lunch at a local pub. Lunch meal deal 6.99 sandwich Chips and a drink. We shared a large bloomer sandwich and chips and bought 1 extra drink. Then we strolled back in the sunshine. In the evening we had a small BBQ with DS.

Today we did some gardening then had a stroll round the pond to the local pub for an hour and a couple of diet cokes, then had the half price roast leg of lamb with DS & gf for dinner.

Can't believe DF is going home tomorrow. Where has the week gone !
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Apr 19, 7:54 AM
    • 13,973 Posts
    • 47,479 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    What a lovely week you have had, really hard work done on the house but with amazing company in great weather. I feel the same about my parents. The best kind of week.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 23rd Apr 19, 3:17 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I walked puppy dog yesterday morning on the common in the sunshine. 1 load of washing hung out & washing up done then spent the rest of the day relaxing on the sofa with a dodgy stomach

DF phoned to say he arrived home safely and I took puppy dog for a walk round the pond in the evening. Unfortunately she managed to get a mouthful of nuts and raisins someone had left round the pond. probably for the birds. Raisins, sultanas & grapes are highly toxic to dogs and so puppy has been in the vet hospital all night and today on a drip to make sure her kidneys do not fail.

The bill so far is 759 !! Hopefully most of that will be covered by the insurance. It will be more if she stays in tonight and tomorrow also. We saw her this morning and she was looking happy and loving all the attention from the vet nurses so all is looking positive so far.

I had a speech therapy appointment today and another one is booked for next month. Its a long process and still very painful. After that I went shopping at aldee and came in under budget for the week at 48.83. I have a load of washing out which hopefully has dried, its been sunny & cloudy today and forecast is for rain for the rest of the week.
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 23rd Apr 19, 5:51 PM
    • 13,973 Posts
    • 47,479 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Oh no I am so sorry about your poorly stomach and as for dear puppy oh no! That is dreadful. Someone probably left that out for the swans and didn't realise the effect on curious dogs. It is dreadful for a doggie's health - v scary for you when you are already ill yourself. Poor flowers both of you. I hope the insurance covers this.

Well done on your speech therapy appointment. I hope it helps your throat and voice. Just take it easy for the rest of the week. Thank goodness it is only a four day week despite the rain.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 23rd Apr 19, 7:29 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have been to see poorly puppy she is doing well but staying in another night for continuing IV fluids. Another 224 paid for today and another 400 ish for tonight better than a luxury hotel lol.

Thankfully this is my second week off work so I can nap during the day.

Paid for house insurance cheap quote today from household bills savings. I have money put aside for hair cut and colour tomorrow 40. It started raining this evening just as I brought the washing in. so that's it for summer
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 23rd Apr 19, 9:38 PM
    • 13,973 Posts
    • 47,479 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    At least doggie is in safe hands (albeit expensive hands). I hope she will be back with you v soon. Have a good day tomorrow and happy haircut. Well done on paying house insurance with a good quote.

Have a good day tomorrow and I hope the rain doesn't last all day.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 23rd Apr 19, 10:25 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Poor puppy, hope she is back home and bouncing around soon. Big hugs from me and the kitties xx
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 25th Apr 19, 3:14 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Puppy dog came home last night none the worse for her ordeal ! She loves it at the vets but I hope she doesn't need to go for a while ! Total cost just over 1200 all on my credit card. Insurance claims handed in to vets to send off so we will see how much is covered. After speaking to the insurer it turns out that they cap certain costs so it might not all be covered

If they don't pay it all I will have to see if I can get a balance transfer to my 0% credit card (not sure if its 0% for balance transfers for 25 months - its not 0% for purchases) or apply for a new 0% balance transfer card and transfer both balances to extend the payment period

I picked up the paddling pool for puppy dog today and its been a really warm afternoon despite the wind so she has been in it already

Car goes for its service tomorrow. They will collect and deliver it back and wash & valet it all part of my service plan paid for monthly.
    Emergency fund 0/500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,621Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin