Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 5,312Posts
    • 32,606Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 7:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 7:51 AM.

Page 413
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 23rd May 19, 6:52 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 20,449 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had a very early night last night and woke up starving! A smoothie is not going to cut it today!

I just made pasta shells with lentil bolognese with marinated mushrooms and steamed brussels and ate it all in about one second.

I will have my green smoothie around 11 instead.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 23rd May 19, 7:20 AM
    • 66,250 Posts
    • 389,317 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Yesterday I ate out twice and spent a fortune on food

1/ Chips and fishcake from a chippy, eaten in the car.
    2/ Pack of four Crunchie bars
    3/ Indian takeaway, brought home to eat (edible, but wouldn't rush back there, but 6.75 so cheapish).

Still got half the rice in the fridge, which is typical for a biryani as you do get a lot of the rice.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 23rd May 19, 1:33 PM
    • 7,233 Posts
    • 13,543 Thanks
    Farway
    After porridge breakfast my first trip into town post op, needed to walk about a bit but not go daft

Hot sunny day, ideal for shop mooching. This time I bought my toms & FR eggs from the greengrocer, a bit dearer but not exorbitantly so, with the usual reasons to buy from him

Found my dinner in Asda, individual YS mince & onion pie. I'll add some frozen chips to it

Out of luck in W/rose, must be catching Brambling, I fancied bacon butty today but no YS bacon around

All this farmed salmon talk, I usually have L's or Iceland's but am aware of the methods used, and just today I had marketing mail from the farmer place I order meat, seems they have Scottish salmon source, Shetlands, farmed of course, but seems ethical, no colourings or antibiotics etc. Just looked on web site, gulp, 35 + per kg, 7.11 for 200g
    Or could go for Wiltshire trout, bit less at 5.78 200g
    maybe next order I'll try it, I know the ethical meat was super so worth a punt

Lunch was meant to be a cheese + salad sarnie, but I forgot to put the cheese in, plonker

Dinner is the YS pie & chips
    • caronc
    • By caronc 23rd May 19, 6:48 PM
    • 5,312 Posts
    • 32,606 Thanks
    caronc

Is it branded as Hearty Food Co? Ingredients include yeast extract!
    Originally posted by Fire Fox
    That's the one

All this farmed salmon talk, I usually have L's or Iceland's but am aware of the methods used, and just today I had marketing mail from the farmer place I order meat, seems they have Scottish salmon source, Shetlands, farmed of course, but seems ethical, no colourings or antibiotics etc. Just looked on web site, gulp, 35 + per kg, 7.11 for 200g
    Originally posted by Farway
    That's actually not too bad for decent farmed salmon, possibly a bit cheaper if you either buy a side or a whole fish and portion it yourself which is what I tend to do. If you are thinking of buying you should ask them which fishery is their supplier and then have a Google.

Good evening everyone,

It's been lovely & sunny here today though the wind is cold. This morning my son lugged things about in the garden for me while I sat on the deck with a cuppa directing operations- he said it was better than a session at the gym especially the 125L bags of compost. After chicken salad on sourdough and flat peaches for lunch, him and his fiancee have headed up to Glasgow to meet up with old pals from uni so I'm CFO tonight (and probably tomorrow as I think they are seeing their Dad). I spent most of the rest of the afternoon planting up - that's about 80% of the flowers planted and hopefully I'll get the rest done tomorrow. I also got the final tub set up of greenhouse tomatoes sorted out. Just the basket/patio pots ones now. Then it's the veg patch....... Early evening my sis and nephew popped round for a catch up and sorting out arrangements for our "gathering" on Sunday. We had hoped to bbq but the forecast is for rain so it may well be inside!

Having had a small piece of asparagus tart for breakfast and chicken for lunch for dinner tonight I'm jazzing up a frozen margherita by adding some parma ham, LO ricotta and wilting some of a bag of watercress/rocket/spinach on the top. There's a glass left in a bottle of red so it would be a shame not to use it up

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 23rd May 19, 6:53 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 20,449 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've been snacking on stuff all day, all healthy stuff, apart from the wine.

Last thing I ate was a veggie burger with a salad and strawberries and a tangerine.

Lunch was meant to be a cheese + salad sarnie, but I forgot to put the cheese in, plonker
    Originally posted by Farway
    Silly Farway. "Plonker" always reminds me of Rodney.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 23rd May 19, 8:22 PM
    • 27,367 Posts
    • 116,390 Thanks
    candygirl
    Just had some spicy bean chilli, sprinkled with grated cheese, bloody lush
    Had my 1st quote for the building work today, not as steep as i'd thought
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 23rd May 19, 8:28 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 4,823 Thanks
    Brambling
    At what stage did you realise you had forgotten the cheese Farway

Glad you got good use of your slave for a day Caronc

I'm a bad cat owner . I forgot to open the cat flap this morning and he went out the front door first thing so I didn't realise until I went to shut it just now I did think it strange he didn't come back in this morning. I even questioned why he hadn't touched his food all day when he dived on to his tea. So not only did I shut him out all day but I went out in the garden when I got home and then shut him in, no wonder he went to bed and sulked oops

I tackled the garden when I got home from work and it won not only did hay fever make me sniff and wheeze but I've a rash and I'm itching from a reaction to something, just shoot me now I didn't remember to put long sleeves on It did take me twice as long as it should due to interruptions from neighbours, it's great we all get on but I sometimes think I need a A board at the bottom to the path to say 'yes I'm gardening, please just wave and go way or I'll never finish' . More than usual people about as they were going out to vote and we all had something to say about that I did get to fuss with a neighbour's cockapoo .

Lunch today was HM chicken noodle soup, not really soup weather but it was a light soup and needed finishing. CBA to cook once I got in from the garden so just beans on toast with a sprinkle of cheese and not the planned stir fry

PN hows the house hunting going? I'm assuming that's why you're eating out
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 23rd May 19, 8:32 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 4,823 Thanks
    Brambling
    Had my 1st quote for the building work today, not as steep as i'd thought
    Originally posted by candygirl
    That's good news Candy . Is this for the new kitchen?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 24th May 19, 6:35 AM
    • 66,250 Posts
    • 389,317 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Last night I'd decided to make a chilli today, to start getting through the frozen stuff in the freezer and the tins in the cupboard, I took a trip to 4ldi and grabbed a cheap bag of onions.

I opened the tins cupboard and selected 3-4 or so that I thought might go in it and put them on the worktop with the onions so I didn't forget. I defrosted the meat and a pile of green peppers I'd chopped/frozen 2-3 months ago.

About 6ish I put mince, 3 chopped onions, tin of chickpeas, tin of carrots mashed, tin of plum tomatoes, a tin of mixed beans and some chilli powder into the SC. About an hour later I remembered the green peppers, so quickly nuked those for 1-2 minutes and added those.

I don't expect to be eating that today though, although who can tell... because yesterday I also popped into L1dl and for some peculiar reason picked up their Lamb Rogan Josh (2.79) with a 30% off sticker on it (-84p). That has a date of tomorrow though, so it could wait. I also got a pack of four onion bhajis from L1dl and a 2-pack of naan bread from 4ldi.

So, this weekend, there'll be an indian curry and lots of chilli meals.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 24th May 19, 6:39 AM
    • 66,250 Posts
    • 389,317 Thanks
    PasturesNew

PN hows the house hunting going? I'm assuming that's why you're eating out
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Not found anywhere to go to yet. Selling, so if I don't find somewhere then I'll be on AirBNB with stuff in storage!

Two viewings yesterday, didn't like/want.
    One viewing today which is in the preferred location, but it's a house. I was looking for a 2-bed bungalow, this is a 4 bed/2 bath house. But, with things thin on the ground I'd rather buy that than end up "homeless" and dossing about again (did that before).... fingers crossed, if this is "the one" .... then it'll make life so much easier. It's one I had on my list, ready for viewing if/when mine eventually sold. It was originally on and sold within a week in late February, it suddenly returned to market yesterday afternoon as their buyers had lost their jobs (story I was told).

Of note: the kitchen today has one entire wall that's just a worktop! Not just a worktop, but one base unit further round each of those end corners, so that's about 12-13' of uninterrupted clear flat straight worktop surface! OMG. I'm used to juggling four separate 60cm square pieces (one in each corner) and one 120cm where the microwave is always situated and the remaining empty slot adjacent to that juggles with the SC and the mini grill.... could have them all out in a line and not even notice! And still have acres to prep stuff.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; Today at 7:51 AM.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 24th May 19, 9:00 AM
    • 870 Posts
    • 4,823 Thanks
    Brambling
    It was originally on and sold within a week in late February, it suddenly returned to market yesterday afternoon as their buyers had lost their jobs (story I was told).
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I knew someone who was a day away from exchanging on a flat with deposits all ready to send through when the seller was made redundant and decided they couldn't go thought with the move, 6 months later the estate agent phone and said the flat was about to go back on the market were they interested so it does happen. If their buyer dropped out at this late stage they may be open to offers so they won't lose they one they want. There's a reason they say this is one of the most stressful things you can do, just don't be rushed into anything your buyers know you have to find somewhere.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 24th May 19, 9:07 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 20,449 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've had a spinach and banana smoothie. I have my GP at 1.30 so might wait until I come back to have something else.

I will see if I get hungry before then.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 24th May 19, 9:46 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Cooked 2 packs sausages in oven yesterday so as dd took me out for lunch, I had 1 sausage batch for my dinner at 6.00 ish, had eaten one while I made batch, yummy, Remainder now in freezer and as I have been eating sort of odd seeming stuff the last few days I have taken the barnsley chop out to have tonight with one of the jacket potatoes I had cooked along with sausages, will freeze the other 2 for lateRon.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 24th May 19, 10:11 AM
    • 66,250 Posts
    • 389,317 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... your buyers know you have to find somewhere.
    Originally posted by Brambling

No. I put it up on the basis "I am selling, what I do next is my worry". I am selling with the idea that I'll let it progress and if I get to completion date and I've nothing, that's entirely my problem. I can rent/AirBNB/panic.... but my house will sell at the pace my buyers want.

I don't want to go roaming .... but have always said I am prepared to as I just want this one sold. It'd be ideal if today were "the one", but I am viewing with eyes open. It sold to the last buyer in under a week! Mine sat for 8 months

From a seller's perspective, although my onward purchase is dependent upon funds my house selling, I've no mortgage/waiting time and I'm already a month into the paperwork process of selling mine (buyer's survey done two weeks ago).
    Last edited by PasturesNew; Today at 10:15 AM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 24th May 19, 10:23 AM
    • 66,250 Posts
    • 389,317 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Just stirred my chilli and added another tablespoon of chilli powder

It's tasty
    • Farway
    • By Farway 24th May 19, 10:31 AM
    • 7,233 Posts
    • 13,543 Thanks
    Farway
    Up & about to sunshine, now dull but warm
    Porridge + use up chopped fresh apple for breakfast, not quite wrinkly but needed to be gone

Brambling, I only realised I'd forgotten to add the cheese to the sarnie as I sliced the sarnie, by which time it was too late to disassemble it all. Actually it was tasty enough without

PN, that kitchen sounds like mine is, long worktop, but I promise you clutter abhors a space and expands to fill it.

My long work top has Actifry, mini oven, kitchen tool thingy, yoghurt maker and at present a cast iron pot hogging the space

That's actually not too bad for decent farmed salmon, possibly a bit cheaper if you either buy a side or a whole fish and portion it yourself which is what I tend to do. If you are thinking of buying you should ask them which fishery is their supplier and then have a Google.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Thanks, I did look but lost the link to it. It's getting very tempting as the site has 20% discount for May and I may be going over my son's one day next week, and the pick up is only slight detour from motorway on the way.

https://www.farmerschoice.co.uk/fishmongery/salmonfillet

Lunch is set to be a cheese + salad sarnie, with cheese today I hope
    Dinner, one rump steak defrosted, bashed & marinading, probably with eggs, chips & mushrooms but hey ho, may change
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,310Posts Today

5,676Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Are you secretly trying to tell us Geri is going to take over? Will she tell us what we want, what we really reall? https://t.co/MOxa0jzPD7

• Follow Martin