Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • expl0rer
    • By expl0rer 14th May 19, 9:59 AM
    • 99Posts
    • 55Thanks
    expl0rer
    Lodger moved out owing rent and now unreachable
    • 14th May 19, 9:59 AM
    Lodger moved out owing rent and now unreachable 14th May 19 at 9:59 AM
    The lodger stopped paying while I was away. He said he had lost his job and that he'd move out if he didn't find another one by a specified date.

He found one, but decided to move out anyway. He promised to pay his arrears by date X by which he would have received his first wages from the new job.
    Date X has passed and I haven't received the money. I've tried calling him, but he's changed his number. I've emailed him and he hasn't responded.

I was considering taking him to the Small Claims Court, but apparently you need to know the person's address to do that. I don't know his new address. I've read here that when the address is not known, the last known address can be used. But the last known address is my own address. Can I still use that?

I have a copy of his passport and he paid his rent into my bank account from his, so he is definitely traceable if enough power is given to the authorities, but is the Small Claims route appropriate in this case?

Is there any other way I can get the money owed to me?
Page 2
    • tom9980
    • By tom9980 15th May 19, 4:14 PM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 3,978 Thanks
    tom9980
    Install whatsapp on the phone with their number on, you can see status updates and when the user was last online with that if they have whatsapp installed as well. Potentially useful to know if they are still using a number.
    “In order to change, we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.”
    • Angalfaria
    • By Angalfaria 15th May 19, 5:48 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Angalfaria
    Best of luck. How many cash can I deposite?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 15th May 19, 5:50 PM
    • 63,165 Posts
    • 56,052 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    The lodger stopped paying while I was away. He said he had lost his job and that he'd move out if he didn't find another one by a specified date.

He found one, but decided to move out anyway. He promised to pay his arrears by date X by which he would have received his first wages from the new job.
    Date X has passed and I haven't received the money. I've tried calling him, but he's changed his number. I've emailed him and he hasn't responded.
    Originally posted by expl0rer
    Someone has worked out how to perform a neat scam. You are unlikely to be the only person out of pocket.
    “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” – Warren Buffett
    • Honeylife
    • By Honeylife 15th May 19, 8:34 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    Honeylife
    OP you haven't answered the question Did you take a Deposit?

I am suspecting that you didn't take a Deposit

This is why people ask for a Deposit. It is for possible Damages to items in room and/or possible Non Payment of Rent and a possible failure to leave the room in good order thus requiring the landlord to employ professional cleaners.

If the lodger does a midnight flit, then they loose the Deposit!

Also not a good idea to use the Deposit for the last months rent, as you still need monetary cover for those possibilities mentioned above.
    Last edited by Honeylife; 15-05-2019 at 8:37 PM.
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964
    • Angalfaria
    • By Angalfaria 16th May 19, 7:59 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Angalfaria
    You must contact the police so that they can take a legal step to help you.
    • Angalfaria
    • By Angalfaria 16th May 19, 8:00 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Angalfaria

I was considering taking him to the Small Claims Court, but apparently you need to know the person's address to do that. I don't know his new address. I've read here that when the address is not known, the last known address can be used. But the last known address is my own address. Can I still use that?

I have a copy of his passport and he paid his rent into my bank account from his, so he is definitely traceable if enough power is given to the authorities, but is the Small Claims route appropriate in this case?

Is there any other way I can get the money owed to me?
    Very sad to know this.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 16th May 19, 10:58 AM
    • 8,024 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    Comms69
    Originally posted by Angalfaria

No, this is a civil issue.

The police cannot help. (and shouldn't help)
    • expl0rer
    • By expl0rer 18th May 19, 2:39 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    expl0rer
    I did take a deposit, but not enough to cover for the period he stayed at the house without paying as I was away for longer and he tricked me into allowing me to stay longer (he told me he'd found a job and would pay).

Thank you all for your input.
    • Honeylife
    • By Honeylife 18th May 19, 3:03 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    Honeylife
    I did take a deposit, but not enough to cover for the period he stayed at the house without paying as I was away for longer and he tricked me into allowing me to stay longer (he told me he'd found a job and would pay).

Thank you all for your input.
    Then that is indeed very unfortunate. Take up references from more places with your next lodger and perhaps consider six weeks deposit. Sounds like a lot but that would give you some peace of mind.
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964
    • Angalfaria
    • By Angalfaria 19th May 19, 5:43 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Angalfaria
    It's really now unreachable.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 19th May 19, 6:03 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 4,283 Thanks
    coffeehound
    I have a copy of his passport
    What nationality is he?
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th May 19, 6:24 PM
    • 10,186 Posts
    • 15,837 Thanks
    worried jim
    What nationality is he?
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    Why?

OP- The money is gone, you have no chance of recovering it with out spending more money which you will probably never recover.

I rented a room for 14 years and only happened once to me, although after two months he popped up with some !!!! and bull story about going into hiding (he worked the doors and booted a dealer out) and paid me.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Angalfaria
    • By Angalfaria 24th May 19, 4:11 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Angalfaria

No, this is a civil issue.

The police cannot help. (and shouldn't help)
    OK, so the matter will be dismissed by conversation but now he is unreachable. So you want to leave this matter or want to do something so that it doesn't happen again to with you.
    Last edited by Angalfaria; Today at 4:16 AM.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 24th May 19, 7:42 AM
    • 8,024 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    Comms69
    OK, so the matter will be dismissed by conversation but now he is unreachable. So you want to leave this matter or want to do something so that it doesn't happen again to with you.

I suggest you look at how forums work. I am not the original poster.

I have told the OP all the info possible about the recovery process (and the frankly the chances of doing so being not so good)

You are adding what to this? Because telling the OP to go to the police is fundamentally wrong. Now if you are here to learn about debt, debt recovery and so forth that's great.

The person is not unreachable. But the cost of recovering the money is greater than the debt owed. For example let's say I owe you £50. I live in Scotland, you live in London.

You can come collect the money whenever you want, but the cost of coming up to Scotland to do so will be greater than the money recovered. So there's little point in doing so.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 24th May 19, 8:31 AM
    • 581 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    bigisi
    I suggest you look at how forums work. I am not the original poster.

I have told the OP all the info possible about the recovery process (and the frankly the chances of doing so being not so good)

You are adding what to this? Because telling the OP to go to the police is fundamentally wrong. Now if you are here to learn about debt, debt recovery and so forth that's great.

The person is not unreachable. But the cost of recovering the money is greater than the debt owed. For example let's say I owe you £50. I live in Scotland, you live in London.

You can come collect the money whenever you want, but the cost of coming up to Scotland to do so will be greater than the money recovered. So there's little point in doing so.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    It's obviously an illiterate (in English anyway) post builder. I've reported all it's posts, pointless replying to it now.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 24th May 19, 8:37 AM
    • 8,024 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    Comms69
    It's obviously an illiterate (in English anyway) post builder. I've reported all it's posts, pointless replying to it now.
    Originally posted by bigisi

I did consider that. Just typically they reply once to lots of threads, rather than lots of times on one thread.

But I think you're right
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,509Posts Today

6,420Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Are you secretly trying to tell us Geri is going to take over? Will she tell us what we want, what we really reall? https://t.co/MOxa0jzPD7

• Follow Martin