Prolific Academic Survey Alerts

Comments

• sebloak
    sebloak Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Topiary wrote: »
    Reasoning study SBR0519 - Computers only. Mobile won't get paid.
    Hosted by Henry Markovits
    £2.0825 minutes £5.00/hr 28 places remaining

desktop only

Edit: Not getting much luck this week....

Experiment not available
    This experiment is currently full.

Please cancel the task on Prolific so as not to affect your reputation.

Got that too 11:15pm, same experiment full message

hmmm
  • Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I got the same message as everyone else and had to return it
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Its quite telling from that last survey how prolific make surveys available to certain participants earlier than others i.e 8.46pm vs my 8.53pm.....I must be close to the bottom of the participant ladder

They've always done this - not sure what you mean by "quite telling" - its clearly common sense.

Researchers ask for a specific demographic and if you fit that better you are more likely to get the survey earlier. There is 'x' amount of people on the site, all of whom want surveys, and only 'y' amount of surveys available - I dont think this is increasing so therefore there are less to go around.
    I would be astonished if other survey sites did not do similar things but maybe its a little less obvious? But its clearly common sense...

I would imagine we have all had surveys with a handful of people left in it, it happens

There will come points when your demographic fits the needs perfectly and others less so. I would imagine, that the demographic around 20-40 would get the most potential surveys, but I have no evidence for this. It again would just be sense, more of these people use computers then other age ranges.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Food categorization
    Hosted by uclouvain.be
    £0.90 7 minutes £7.72/hr 118 places remaining
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,944 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    My last survey was 9 May!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Its quite telling from that last survey how prolific make surveys available to certain participants earlier than others i.e 8.46pm vs my 8.53pm.....I must be close to the bottom of the participant ladder

It may be well that there are different demographics in play.

For example, if a study needs 50:50 male/female participation, then the only way you can guarantee that on prolific is to have the same survey published twice - so there will be one study A that only women can access, and one Study A that only men can access. Completely identical studies. And of course we can't see what makes up eligible or ineligible for surveys.

And then, replace male/female with different demographics, and mix and match - if you want to have equal numbers of age and gender then you might end up with six or eight different identical studies to get the right numbers of young women, old men etc. Or maybe your divide is leave/remain. Or right wing/left wing. Or different income levels.

And it's certainly possible that researchers are spacing those out to make life a little easier, and in the case of 8.46pm vs 8.53pm, give the poor pot-noodle-malnourished mites a chance to click send a second time!. :rotfl:

The idea that they have to republish because they can't get enough results from their ideal demographic is perhaps less likely - after all, most surveys are gone in minutes unless they're really specific.

(And if you're doing a PhD or a masters on a very specific subject I'm sure they'd prefer to wait a day for good data rather than broaden things out and dilute their sample with data they can't write up anyway. research funding is hard to come by so they can't throw it around like confetti.)
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • sebloak
    sebloak Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Anyone noticing more and more studies taking longer and longer to approve?
  • loukas2993
    loukas2993 Posts: 61 Forumite
    sebloak wrote: »
    Anyone noticing more and more studies taking longer and longer to approve?

I think it's wholly down to the investigator themselves so can vary quite a lot! Some of mine nowadays are still approved within a few hours, whilst others have taken around 10-14 days!
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Assessing Cognition in the General Population - Study 7c
    Hosted by Cambridge Cognition
    £2.5030 minutes £5.00/hr 119 places remaining

This one was a little painful, I'm not going to lie. Reminded me of the studies I had to do at uni :rotfl:

Aside from that, 2 other studies today, one for £2.70 and one for £1.70, both paid already. The guy who is running the two week dream study is also super on it with payments, it's amazing. Already got paid almost £10 just for this week, and it's just 2 3-minute surveys a day. Can't complain at the moment :)
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Congratulations!
    The researcher Gael Le Mens has awarded you a bonus.
    Your account has been credited by £0.04.

Just what was the point?
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure