PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,215 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    After porridge breakfast my first trip into town post op, needed to walk about a bit but not go daft

Hot sunny day, ideal for shop mooching. This time I bought my toms & FR eggs from the greengrocer, a bit dearer but not exorbitantly so, with the usual reasons to buy from him

Found my dinner in Asda, individual YS mince & onion pie. I'll add some frozen chips to it

Out of luck in W/rose, must be catching Brambling, I fancied bacon butty today but no YS bacon around

All this farmed salmon talk, I usually have L's or Iceland's but am aware of the methods used, and just today I had marketing mail from the farmer place I order meat, seems they have Scottish salmon source, Shetlands, farmed of course, but seems ethical, no colourings or antibiotics etc. Just looked on web site, gulp, £35 + per kg, £7.11 for 200g
    Or could go for Wiltshire trout, bit less at £5.78 200g
    maybe next order I'll try it, I know the ethical meat was super so worth a punt

Lunch was meant to be a cheese + salad sarnie, but I forgot to put the cheese in, plonker:o

Dinner is the YS pie & chips
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Fire_Fox wrote: »

Is it branded as Hearty Food Co? Ingredients include yeast extract! :D
    That's the one :D
    Farway wrote: »
    All this farmed salmon talk, I usually have L's or Iceland's but am aware of the methods used, and just today I had marketing mail from the farmer place I order meat, seems they have Scottish salmon source, Shetlands, farmed of course, but seems ethical, no colourings or antibiotics etc. Just looked on web site, gulp, £35 + per kg, £7.11 for 200g
    That's actually not too bad for decent farmed salmon, possibly a bit cheaper if you either buy a side or a whole fish and portion it yourself which is what I tend to do. If you are thinking of buying you should ask them which fishery is their supplier and then have a Google.:)

Good evening everyone,

It's been lovely & sunny here today though the wind is cold. This morning my son lugged things about in the garden for me while I sat on the deck with a cuppa directing operations;)- he said it was better than a session at the gym especially the 125L bags of compost:eek:. After chicken salad on sourdough and flat peaches for lunch, him and his fiancee have headed up to Glasgow to meet up with old pals from uni so I'm CFO tonight (and probably tomorrow as I think they are seeing their Dad). I spent most of the rest of the afternoon planting up - that's about 80% of the flowers planted and hopefully I'll get the rest done tomorrow. I also got the final tub set up of greenhouse tomatoes sorted out. Just the basket/patio pots ones now. Then it's the veg patch.......:eek: Early evening my sis and nephew popped round for a catch up and sorting out arrangements for our "gathering" on Sunday. We had hoped to bbq but the forecast is for rain so it may well be inside!

Having had a small piece of asparagus tart for breakfast:o and chicken for lunch for dinner tonight I'm jazzing up a frozen margherita by adding some parma ham, LO ricotta and wilting some of a bag of watercress/rocket/spinach on the top. There's a glass left in a bottle of red so it would be a shame not to use it up:D
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've been snacking on stuff all day, all healthy stuff, apart from the wine.:o

Last thing I ate was a veggie burger with a salad and strawberries and a tangerine.:cool:

Farway wrote: »
    Lunch was meant to be a cheese + salad sarnie, but I forgot to put the cheese in, plonker:o

Silly Farway. :p "Plonker" always reminds me of Rodney.:rotfl:
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just had some spicy bean chilli, sprinkled with grated cheese, bloody lush:p
    Had my 1st quote for the building work today, not as steep as i'd thought:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    At what stage did you realise you had forgotten the cheese Farway :rotfl:

Glad you got good use of your slave for a day Caronc :D

I'm a bad cat owner :(. I forgot to open the cat flap this morning and he went out the front door first thing so I didn't realise until I went to shut it just now :naughty: I did think it strange he didn't come back in this morning. I even questioned why he hadn't touched his food all day :cool: when he dived on to his tea. So not only did I shut him out all day but I went out in the garden when I got home and then shut him in, no wonder he went to bed and sulked oops

I tackled the garden when I got home from work and it won :cool: not only did hay fever make me sniff and wheeze but I've a rash and I'm itching from a reaction to something, just shoot me now :o I didn't remember to put long sleeves on :doh: It did take me twice as long as it should due to interruptions from neighbours, it's great we all get on but I sometimes think I need a A board at the bottom to the path to say 'yes I'm gardening, please just wave and go way or I'll never finish' :D. More than usual people about as they were going out to vote and we all had something to say about that :cool: I did get to fuss with a neighbour's cockapoo :).

Lunch today was HM chicken noodle soup, not really soup weather but it was a light soup and needed finishing. CBA to cook once I got in from the garden so just beans on toast with a sprinkle of cheese and not the planned stir fry

PN hows the house hunting going? I'm assuming that's why you're eating out :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Brambling
    candygirl wrote: »
    Had my 1st quote for the building work today, not as steep as i'd thought:D

That's good news Candy :). Is this for the new kitchen?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Last night I'd decided to make a chilli today, to start getting through the frozen stuff in the freezer and the tins in the cupboard, I took a trip to 4ldi and grabbed a cheap bag of onions.

I opened the tins cupboard and selected 3-4 or so that I thought might go in it and put them on the worktop with the onions so I didn't forget. I defrosted the meat and a pile of green peppers I'd chopped/frozen 2-3 months ago.

About 6ish I put mince, 3 chopped onions, tin of chickpeas, tin of carrots mashed, tin of plum tomatoes, a tin of mixed beans and some chilli powder into the SC. About an hour later I remembered the green peppers, so quickly nuked those for 1-2 minutes and added those.

I don't expect to be eating that today though, although who can tell... because yesterday I also popped into L1dl and for some peculiar reason picked up their Lamb Rogan Josh (£2.79) with a 30% off sticker on it (-84p). That has a date of tomorrow though, so it could wait. I also got a pack of four onion bhajis from L1dl and a 2-pack of naan bread from 4ldi.

So, this weekend, there'll be an indian curry and lots of chilli meals.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2019 at 8:51AM
    Brambling wrote: »

PN hows the house hunting going? I'm assuming that's why you're eating out :)

Not found anywhere to go to yet. Selling, so if I don't find somewhere then I'll be on AirBNB with stuff in storage!

Two viewings yesterday, didn't like/want.
    One viewing today which is in the preferred location, but it's a house. I was looking for a 2-bed bungalow, this is a 4 bed/2 bath house. But, with things thin on the ground I'd rather buy that than end up "homeless" and dossing about again (did that before).... fingers crossed, if this is "the one" .... then it'll make life so much easier. It's one I had on my list, ready for viewing if/when mine eventually sold. It was originally on and sold within a week in late February, it suddenly returned to market yesterday afternoon as their buyers had lost their jobs (story I was told).

Of note: the kitchen today has one entire wall that's just a worktop! Not just a worktop, but one base unit further round each of those end corners, so that's about 12-13' of uninterrupted clear flat straight worktop surface! OMG. I'm used to juggling four separate 60cm square pieces (one in each corner) and one 120cm where the microwave is always situated and the remaining empty slot adjacent to that juggles with the SC and the mini grill.... could have them all out in a line and not even notice! And still have acres to prep stuff.
  • Brambling
    It was originally on and sold within a week in late February, it suddenly returned to market yesterday afternoon as their buyers had lost their jobs (story I was told).

I knew someone who was a day away from exchanging on a flat with deposits all ready to send through when the seller was made redundant and decided they couldn't go thought with the move, 6 months later the estate agent phone and said the flat was about to go back on the market were they interested so it does happen. If their buyer dropped out at this late stage they may be open to offers so they won't lose they one they want. There's a reason they say this is one of the most stressful things you can do, just don't be rushed into anything your buyers know you have to find somewhere.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,357 Forumite
    I've had a spinach and banana smoothie. I have my GP at 1.30 so might wait until I come back to have something else.

I will see if I get hungry before then.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure