Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 217
    • _shel
    • By _shel 19th May 19, 2:53 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 3,600 Thanks
    _shel
    Hi,
    I知 going to be living at home for university in September when I go back into third year, my parents struggle financially and I am required to make contributions for the house even when at uni. This means that next year they are going to be charging me the same rent as I paid to landlords when I lived out in first and second year. I pay for everything myself like I would if I was living out and living at home will probably cost more than living out. with all the contributions. I know that you get more student finance for living out, would I be able to apply for the higher rate as if I was living out?
    Originally posted by studentnc1
    No, you'd be classed as a home student.
    • Sbacrylicart
    • By Sbacrylicart 21st May 19, 9:58 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sbacrylicart
    Hi there,
    This is a little unrelated, but I wondered if anyone can help?
    My daughter attends a privately run 16+ academy, doing a three year musical theatre course.
    They are not Trinity registered yet, and won't be for a good few years, as a they are quite new.
    My daughter was going to be getting a PCDL loan via the co-op, but this has now gone. Is there any other private funding that students themselves can apply for, rather than myself having to get a bank loan?
    Thank you
    • BournePower
    • By BournePower 21st May 19, 7:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BournePower
    Hi,
    At uni I completed a NHS degree and was in the fortunate position to have my tuition fees covered by NHS, only leaving me with a loan repayment of 」6500 for maintenance loan. With all the talk about not paying off loans ASAP, I知 guessing for myself I would need to pay off it all as quick as I can, as I知 likely to be paying way over the odds if I wait for the interest to build over next 30 yrs. I work in the NHS.
    Ta!
    • Irishsacko
    • By Irishsacko 22nd May 19, 12:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Irishsacko
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum, so I am hoping I am In the right place!

Student loans, I took out loans a few years ago now, 2006 then in 2015, with the agreement that if I earned over such and such an amount (cant remember both amounts now) that I started paying back... that's the agreement between me and Student Finance, when ever I have worked and earned enough it was attached, which to be honest I've never earned enough, but I have always informed them, plus they told me they were attached to the tax office anyway, fair enough - what annoys me is when the contact me every year asking if I'm working, I say no, they say how are you living, I say I live with my husband/family then they ask for his financial details - I say no! - seriously if the loan was an agreement between me and them, then why ask for my husband's private details (plus I wasn't with him when some were taken) surely this is a breach of some sort? - I have no qualms about paying it back if I was earning enough, but to try and obtain bank details of my husband etc, to me is wrong - I'm just wondering why they do it if the agreement has nothing to do with my husband..
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 22nd May 19, 3:02 PM
    • 39,021 Posts
    • 162,626 Thanks
    silvercar
    Hi,
    At uni I completed a NHS degree and was in the fortunate position to have my tuition fees covered by NHS, only leaving me with a loan repayment of 」6500 for maintenance loan. With all the talk about not paying off loans ASAP, I知 guessing for myself I would need to pay off it all as quick as I can, as I知 likely to be paying way over the odds if I wait for the interest to build over next 30 yrs. I work in the NHS.
    Ta!
    Originally posted by BournePower
    I agree with your logic, though who knows what the future holds.

Repayment threshold is earnings over 」25k, so estimate your future salary and do some calculations.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 22nd May 19, 3:03 PM
    • 39,021 Posts
    • 162,626 Thanks
    silvercar
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum, so I am hoping I am In the right place!

Student loans, I took out loans a few years ago now, 2006 then in 2015, with the agreement that if I earned over such and such an amount (cant remember both amounts now) that I started paying back... that's the agreement between me and Student Finance, when ever I have worked and earned enough it was attached, which to be honest I've never earned enough, but I have always informed them, plus they told me they were attached to the tax office anyway, fair enough - what annoys me is when the contact me every year asking if I'm working, I say no, they say how are you living, I say I live with my husband/family then they ask for his financial details - I say no! - seriously if the loan was an agreement between me and them, then why ask for my husband's private details (plus I wasn't with him when some were taken) surely this is a breach of some sort? - I have no qualms about paying it back if I was earning enough, but to try and obtain bank details of my husband etc, to me is wrong - I'm just wondering why they do it if the agreement has nothing to do with my husband..
    Originally posted by Irishsacko
    If you are claiming not to be earning then they require evidence of how you can afford to live. Seems reasonable to me.
    • KerryS
    • By KerryS 23rd May 19, 12:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KerryS
    Hi, wonder if you can help. I have been separated since 2015, is there any benefit in getting a divorce before I apply for my daughter's grants. She will not receive any support from her Dad towards her uni education which is why I ask.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 23rd May 19, 5:09 PM
    • 39,021 Posts
    • 162,626 Thanks
    silvercar
    Hi, wonder if you can help. I have been separated since 2015, is there any benefit in getting a divorce before I apply for my daughter's grants. She will not receive any support from her Dad towards her uni education which is why I ask.
    Originally posted by KerryS
    It's based on your household income, so if Dad has moved out his income is not considered.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 23rd May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 9,453 Posts
    • 13,827 Thanks
    meer53
    Originally posted by KerryS
    I'm separated (i have a decree Nisi but not Decree Absolute) and i had to provide Student Loans Comapny with proof of this when my daughter applied for a Mainenance Loan last year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,235Posts Today

6,026Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Are you secretly trying to tell us Geri is going to take over? Will she tell us what we want, what we really reall? https://t.co/MOxa0jzPD7

• Follow Martin