Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dakta
    • By Dakta 15th May 19, 6:41 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Dakta
    Responses (or lack of)
    • 15th May 19, 6:41 PM
    Responses (or lack of) 15th May 19 at 6:41 PM
    Hi Fellas, posting this for a bit of fun and to get some opinions really when it comes to jobseeking.

I'm self employed, but I do occasionally seek work due to pits and drops in workload, and I've been thinking of a bit of a career change so took some courses and have been looking for an etrypoint into a new field potentially.

But one thing I've noticed, not recently but over the years is just how few companies ever actually get back to you.

It's a very competitive environment, so I was expecting like a heap of 'sorry we think you are unsuitable' generic letters, is keeping prospective clients up to date not fashionable anymore?

At first I thought I was tetchy, but then looked at the statistics, I've nearly 60 applications 'still potentially open' from when i first started keeping saved copies of my cv's for each app starting from a few years ago, I have 2 (two) roles which I got a response for, one was a generic no thank you, the other response I got the job.

I'm just thinking it's a bit disheartening, because as a potential applicant you do a lot of homework on a company, review your cv, customise it, prepare a fresh cover letter and to be frank, you invest some time in offering a company what might be some talent that not only gets you a wage but on the opposite hand should also really help the business go forward, it very much is a mutual gain, or it should be. But your time is invested and you've put something into it.

Not saying you should get it, but surely some knowledge of whether you got it? It seems a bit of an epidemic of silence.

Anyway I'm just posting this for fun really, to see if I'm the only one and see what people think. Maybe my CV is just awful and nobody dares tell me

But on the other hand, their ability to be professional with me as an applicant is no different than as a potential customer, so those that don't communicate do go down in my estimation a bit.

thoughts on a postcard?
Page 2
    • Dakta
    • By Dakta 17th May 19, 8:46 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Dakta
    hi
    It's me again, thanks for the responses some good points made

I had the pleasure of speaking with a relative who actually used to work with HR and associated admin - its a few years ago now so probably a different world but their small department handled 300 staff and it was policy to reply to all applicants.

I am a bit unsure about the workload thing, I know if you're a small company and have one vacancy and you get 200 applicants its an unenviable position to be in! However on the other hand I've worked in a company that had 7 employees, for some reason one dedicated HR person (employee retention problems? haha) yet you ask for a form, or you send an email or ask in person for anything and you had an obligatory 3 day wait for it and thats internal. Took nearly a month for a result of the interview. I used to wonder how the eckers you'd fill your time in that role in a company that size

anywya I digress, I just hate silence, because whilst I think a company's doing an employee a lot of good by considering them, I also realise that a serious applicant actually invests resources equally in the job searching aspect and to have stony silence is. in a way slightly disrespectful.

You can't change the world, and if this is the way the world works now then what can you do, but I notice it
    I'm an introvert by nature but the world seems as a whole to be quite reclusive now
    Last edited by Dakta; 17-05-2019 at 8:48 AM.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th May 19, 9:28 AM
    • 9,321 Posts
    • 31,134 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    My lad's applying, not just to keep the JobCentre happy but as he wants a job. He's applying the 3 week rule & has taught himself to *appreciate* the thanks-but-no-thanks letters & emails. Mostly as it's that or reconsider despair.

He's sending out proper cvs & covering letters as well as the online things - I'm thinking of getting him to rock up in person, clutching ID, cv & offer to be their minion for the day to get a job, but most places freak "the insurance!" & say no.

The not wholly stable epileptic bit does make things more difficult.
    • Dakta
    • By Dakta 22nd May 19, 11:10 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Dakta
    Thought i'd update this thread.

I decided to try another tack as suggested above, and rather than apply online I decided to bite the bullet and do something my natural anxiety hates me to do and thats to both visit, and phone said places. I have a tendency to be a bit anxious on the phone so this is my least preferred way but I wanted to know what would happen.

Well the difference was dramatic, and in the last few days I've had a lot of responses and technically two interviews.

Based on this experience, I've come to the conclusion you don't really exist in the eyes of recruiters unless you show some kind of physical presence, online communication (webforms, email etc) just doesn't exist.

And to test this theory I sent some (electronic) letters out over the last few days, not applications as such, but just enquiries, like 'I would like some further details about this role, does it include working with x y z' and 'is this role still available?' - this has had a 100% failure rate in getting responses. There's still time to get some but as things stand 100% failure rate.

Upon telephoning we can swing that nearly the opposite way,.

A lot of these firms are agencies which I suppose is a discussion in itself as to quality of communication.

I attended two interviews, both went badly. One led me to the head office/reception area of a group of buildings where they weren't expecting me and unable to direct me to the relevent part of the site where interviews were being held, I ended up walking around the perimeter aimlessly for half an hour without finding the location and nobody else in sight, left a message on the answerphone of the chap who organised the interview as I got no answer, and I've heard nothing since. I basically turned up at a ghost town, I'm sure the interview was there but there's only so many staff only signs you really want to pass in your exploration.

Secondly I went to another interview, found it okay but failed a colour blindness test, I mentioned this might be a bit flawed as it had been printed on a black and white printer (pick the green tomato) - I was just told to give it my best shot. Needless to say i failed this and as expected no response since either.

Thankfully, I don't strictly need to find employment as my self employment goes a long way to covering my expenses, I just want a bit more security.

But being an over-thinker it has left me musing the world as I see it - I contrast my own dealings with customers and I give them hours of my time, every single email gets answered, even out of hours we have response times less than 15 minutes most of the time, all the time - I know I give too much time to customers and sometimes can be on my laptop even at family events, but I also recognize its a part and parcel of my job, and if I really do get overloaded I back off for a while, but I always come back to it. What I'm saying is its my job, just like people who deal with recruitment have a job of keeping in touch with their clients/applicants. The communication is the job?

Anyway thats just my observations, feeling a bit exhausted now - and also wondering if I'm a bit out of touch with reality, it seems we live in some kind of human processing machine where work is concerned and once someone is declared not useful or whatever all communication just gets cut.

Don't get me wrong, I know there will always be some people who just CBA getting back to you or acknowledging it, but I thought it'd be like 1 in 5, not 99/100 :/
    Last edited by Dakta; 22-05-2019 at 11:22 PM.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 23rd May 19, 7:05 AM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 6,375 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    I've seen recruitment from both sides of the desk - I conduct the preliminary telephone interviews for my company, but I'm also looking for a 'proper' job myself (for reasons that are far too complicated to go into). In fact I have a telephone interview lined up this morning.

As to feedback - be careful what you wish for. For some of the people I've interviewed and rejected, honest feedback would go something like this
    Person A - OMG, lost the will to live, how can anyone go on for so long and be so boring
    Person B - Creepy!!
    Person C - I know I'm female, but I am going to potentially be your boss. Please don't try to flirt, it's severely career limiting.
    Person D - that joke at the end? Not funny. Quite racist in fact.

I do give feedback, but I sometimes have to sugar coat it so thickly that I doubt if they ever really work out what the actual problem was.

Best go and prepare for my own interview now!!
    • Dakta
    • By Dakta 23rd May 19, 7:32 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Dakta
    TBH only ever requested feedback once, and that was when I was so close to my dream job I had been selected from a pool of jundreds of candidates and I failed the final test (there were several test days/interviews and medicals etc spread out over a period of a few months). Very slow gruelling process but was with a major firm so the feedback was worth it (and I got it). Not bitter about that one bit as it gave me a right confidence boost and they kept in touch.

It's not so much feedback though, its just some kind of, well, am I being considered or not, because if not I'll keep looking. That would be a huge start.

Not that you can have that as it's clearly not how it works today, but we have become a very dismissive society
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,556Posts Today

6,320Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Are you secretly trying to tell us Geri is going to take over? Will she tell us what we want, what we really reall? https://t.co/MOxa0jzPD7

• Follow Martin