Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 18th Mar 08, 10:39 AM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    TV Licence article Discussion
    • 18th Mar 08, 10:39 AM
    TV Licence article Discussion 18th Mar 08 at 10:39 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 3:08 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 160
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 19th May 19, 9:24 AM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 3,321 Thanks
    FreeBear
    The only one I've seen at my door was a jumped up little s.... with aspirations above his station. He had neither the stature or presence to be anything more than a small annoyance.

The best deterrent to prevent them from entering a property is a locked door. Anti vampire & zombie charms are not (normally) required. A magical spell uttered in old Saxon or Norse comes in handy if the door lock fails.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 20th May 19, 8:32 AM
    • 4,909 Posts
    • 4,607 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I had one last year, funnily enough I no longer watch tv I just stream because I used to have free sky tv and when that ran out I noticed I was just watching constant repeats on ITV2 and E4 and not much else which I could easily get online. When I let the guy in I outright showed him I had a capture card (with no aerial attached) and turned on tv in living room to show nothing tuned in, he said he could see a aerial wire at back of tv on floor that was under other wires therefore could be used, and wanted to have one more visit, really annoyed me.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 20th May 19, 8:49 AM
    • 11,899 Posts
    • 13,337 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The problem is that they fundamentally don't believe that people can live without live TV Channels. However, the evidence is that they increasingly can.

I think TVL's approach on this is fundamentally wrong-headed. Their own figures are contradictory:

"A TV Licensing spokesperson said: "Fewer than 2 per cent of households donít need a licence..."

But

"An enquiry officer may call at the address to verify the situation. TV Licensing visit a sample of homes to confirm there is in fact no television being used [sic] as, when we make contact on these visits, a fifth of people visited are found to require a TV Licence".

So 2% of the overall population don't need a licence, but 80% of the households they visit don't need one. Hmmm.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • -taff
    • By -taff 20th May 19, 9:14 AM
    • 10,079 Posts
    • 13,410 Thanks
    -taff
    I had the aerial taken off the roof when some work was done to the chimney so good luck to any visiting'enforcement' officers...
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 20th May 19, 9:22 AM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Oooh, I've had a new communication format delivered by the postie: a little red card which opens up. More misinformation as it looks like one of those cards they leave if you are not in to take a delivery. It states "Card Delivered" then "By Hand " with a mock handwriting font.

Then three mock ticked boxes 'urgent response required', Telephone lines open etc..' and 'Website available'

The usual BUMPH inside about 'escalating our investigation' by a certain date, which as my GF observed, from numerous previous communications, was not truthful!

Anyway, I'm prepared to tell them the truth that I've never owned (possessed, borrowed, hired, had use of...) a colour telly, but I still won't be revealing any names..
    • Ego_Shredder
    • By Ego_Shredder 20th May 19, 10:24 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Ego_Shredder
    I wish I could say, "if I find evidence of you transmitting TV signals or programme content into my property I will sue you".
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • cw18
    • By cw18 20th May 19, 7:41 PM
    • 8,037 Posts
    • 85,940 Thanks
    cw18
    Anyway, I'm prepared to tell them the truth that I've never owned (possessed, borrowed, hired, had use of...) a colour telly, but I still won't be revealing any names..
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    But do you have a laptop or smartphone or any other device that has the capability to stream, and access to the internet. If so, then you could be watching something that requires a licence.....

I'm not suggesting that you do, purely stating that not having a TV in the house isn't enough of a defence for not needing one these days. I have 3 TVs, but still don't need one as I only use them for Netflix, Prime, NowTV and watching DVDs. I don't even use catch-up services from ITV etc which are also allowed.
    Cheryl
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 21st May 19, 4:22 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    But do you have a laptop or smartphone or any other device that has the capability to stream, and access to the internet. If so, then you could be watching something that requires a licence......
    Originally posted by cw18

Of course, but never having a TV rather underlines the unimportance I put on the medium, and watching on a small phone when I could easily afford a TV seems a bit desperate and rather a masochistic exercise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,556Posts Today

6,320Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Are you secretly trying to tell us Geri is going to take over? Will she tell us what we want, what we really reall? https://t.co/MOxa0jzPD7

• Follow Martin