Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shapala
    • By shapala 14th May 19, 9:30 AM
    • 434Posts
    • 14,584Thanks
    shapala
    Item delivered, buyer claiming they didn't receive it
    • 14th May 19, 9:30 AM
    Item delivered, buyer claiming they didn't receive it 14th May 19 at 9:30 AM
    Hi all

Sold a cheapish thing and via eBay Royal Mail tracking, the 1st class package shows as delivered but buyer saying they didn't receive it.

Probably been asked before but what do I do in this instance? TIA.
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th May 19, 9:51 AM
    • 62,046 Posts
    • 44,491 Thanks
    soolin
    • 14th May 19, 9:51 AM
    • 14th May 19, 9:51 AM
    Hi all

Sold a cheapish thing and via eBay Royal Mail tracking, the 1st class package shows as delivered but buyer saying they didn't receive it.

Probably been asked before but what do I do in this instance? TIA.
    Originally posted by shapala
    Hopefully you uploaded the tracking at point of sale- if so just politely tell the buyer that item showed as delivered on xxx and perhaps they could just make sure that no one else in their household has taken it in.

If they open an INR then you will win (assuming as above, that tracking was added to the ebay listing on sale)
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • shapala
    • By shapala 14th May 19, 10:16 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 14,584 Thanks
    shapala
    • 14th May 19, 10:16 AM
    • 14th May 19, 10:16 AM
    Hopefully you uploaded the tracking at point of sale- if so just politely tell the buyer that item showed as delivered on xxx and perhaps they could just make sure that no one else in their household has taken it in.

If they open an INR then you will win (assuming as above, that tracking was added to the ebay listing on sale)
    Originally posted by soolin
    I've politely asked if it could have been left elsewhere and got a curt email saying 'haven't received it'.

Yes, I do my postage direct via eBay Shutl so the tracking is automatically added.

Do I just ask them to open an INR and I'll win the case in that case? Of 1000s items I've sent with RM over the years this is first time this has occurred.
    Last edited by shapala; 14-05-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 14th May 19, 11:38 AM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 14th May 19, 11:38 AM
    • 14th May 19, 11:38 AM
    Yes, this is the one thing eBays seller protection actually covers you for. If eBay look at their case and decide they haven't opened too many claims they may pay them out of their own pocket but that is really down to them.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 14th May 19, 12:09 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • 14th May 19, 12:09 PM
    • 14th May 19, 12:09 PM
    I've politely asked if it could have been left elsewhere and got a curt email saying 'haven't received it'.
    Resolving problems is a two way street, if they can't be bothered to communicate properly then just advise them to open a case and then phone eBay to have it closed.
    • shapala
    • By shapala 14th May 19, 12:15 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 14,584 Thanks
    shapala
    • 14th May 19, 12:15 PM
    • 14th May 19, 12:15 PM
    Is the Shutl eBay tracking number for RM good enough. I can see my side it shows delivered but buyer is becoming difficult and saying it doesn't work and is demanding a refund. Asked eBay and they've told me to tell him to open an INR. Does this sound right to you folks?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th May 19, 12:22 PM
    • 62,046 Posts
    • 44,491 Thanks
    soolin
    • 14th May 19, 12:22 PM
    • 14th May 19, 12:22 PM
    Is the Shutl eBay tracking number for RM good enough. I can see my side it shows delivered but buyer is becoming difficult and saying it doesn't work and is demanding a refund. Asked eBay and they've told me to tell him to open an INR. Does this sound right to you folks?
    Yes it is, all that is required is proof of delivery.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 14th May 19, 12:27 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • 14th May 19, 12:27 PM
    Tracking might not update their side (sometimes eBay doesn't update the info), send them a link to the Royal Mail Track and Trace for them to check it if you wish but as Soolin says that's all correct.
    • shapala
    • By shapala 14th May 19, 12:27 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 14,584 Thanks
    shapala
    Will buyer be refund and can he leave neg fb? Never had this before.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th May 19, 12:46 PM
    • 62,046 Posts
    • 44,491 Thanks
    soolin
    Will buyer be refund and can he leave neg fb? Never had this before.
    As per the previous responses, you will won the INR and because you win it buyer will not be able to leave feedback. It might be that ebay will give them a goodwill payment, but that would be nothing to do with you.

Also as above, make sure you remind ebay via the dispute or on the phone that tracking shows item was delivered- I'm always over cautious and even if I have the tracking attached to the sale, would add it again to any message I put in the case discussion with a link showing it was delivered.

There are some instances where couriers or RM have left the parcel with a neighbour and not left a card with buyer, so by all means assist your buyer as much as you can- but always protect your account first and foremost, and then help the buyer.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • shapala
    • By shapala 14th May 19, 1:09 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 14,584 Thanks
    shapala
    Thanks Soolin

I feel a bit sorry for the buyer. It's not an expensive item <20 but if RM have delivered to a neighbour and not left a card and doesn't know neighbours very well then it's not fair for him to be out of pocket and without the item. He has a LOT of fb and also gives good fb to sellers so not really doubting him, although don't really like his attitude.

My wife actually had something similar happen recently when hermes delivered something to her to a neighbour but (typical) they didn't say who and by then we were on hols. Our trusting neighbour delivered it to us when we were back. Don't know what the seller was up to tho - from UK took 2 weeks to arrive when we should've received it before heading away.
    • Brywalker
    • By Brywalker 14th May 19, 2:07 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Brywalker
    The fact that he appears to generally give good feedback doesn't mean he isn't trying it on. A lot of sellers in your position will just fold and a clever scammer will know that. The clever ones will not leave negative feedback for the sellers that weren't taken in because it gives other potential victims a clue.
    • shapala
    • By shapala 15th May 19, 10:54 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 14,584 Thanks
    shapala
    Quick update. Brywalker is likely correct. This is no joke but after updating eBay with tracking info that shows it's delivered, the buyer said that his mother had received it and put it in the fridge thinking it was a cheese delivery. Yes, really! I just hope the item works since it's electronic.

I mean, really!?!
    • This Year
    • By This Year 15th May 19, 7:58 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 5,317 Thanks
    This Year
    his mother had received it and put it in the fridge thinking it was a cheese delivery.
    Love it! I often get people saying that "oh yeah my partner put it on top of the fridge and never told me" but never in the fridge!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th May 19, 2:17 PM
    • 62,046 Posts
    • 44,491 Thanks
    soolin
    Quick update. Brywalker is likely correct. This is no joke but after updating eBay with tracking info that shows it's delivered, the buyer said that his mother had received it and put it in the fridge thinking it was a cheese delivery. Yes, really! I just hope the item works since it's electronic.

I mean, really!?!
    Not uncommon at all,only recently on another forum a seller mentioned that they had someone tell them item wasn't delivered, they responded with the usual please ask around as item shows as delivered and buyer actually emailed back to say there wasn't a tracking number on their parcel so seller was lying.

Ebay agreed that a) tracking clearly showed delivery and b) buyer appeared to be agreeing that item was delivered if they had managed to check the label for tracking already! It was actually a standard parcel so it isn't really a tracking number, just a delivery confirmation and on some label designs it is very discreet and it appears that many buyers don't realise it is actually there.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Matty36
    • By Matty36 17th May 19, 2:17 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Matty36
    A cheese delivery LOL

I've heard some corkers but that's right up there
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 18th May 19, 6:47 AM
    • 4,557 Posts
    • 4,924 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    I'm in a similar situation to the OP.
    I investigated with shutl, and they sent a picture of where the item was left, which looks like a very open & visible doorway.
    The customer service agent seemed to agree that it didn't look like a secure place to leave something, so they gave me a claim form.

My question is, if my claim is sucessful, how do I refund the buyer - do I ask them to open a case?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,219Posts Today

5,904Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Are you secretly trying to tell us Geri is going to take over? Will she tell us what we want, what we really reall? https://t.co/MOxa0jzPD7

• Follow Martin