Default Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2019

Comments

• baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    last trip was around 18 months ago.
    The flights and hotels prices dont seem to gave gone up in price just the cost of being in vegas.

My wife and daughter have each been offered 4 comp nights at Bellagio each with freeplay and F&B credit so im now thinking of going again in September :)
    Seems i didnt spend enough lol
  • dan28
    dan28 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Four comp nights at Bellagio are really nice but you have to expect that everything in the hotel like pringles, water, restaurants, and of course table limits, are more expensive than in a resort like MGM Grand ;-).
    Anyway I am sure you will have a great time.
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm currently on the first leg of our return flight back from Vegas (on-board WiFi), booked via BA Holidays.

Flights + Car was cheaper than just flights, it also adds free luggage.

We added 5 nights hotel to our booking as it came out over £100 cheaper than booking them separately.

1 - the wifi, I'm definitely considering this for my next trip, as I find the flights so boring, and it would be great to have wifi (payable I presume?). I could be working whilst travelling and saving me from catching up on stuff when I get home.

2 - flights plus car cheaper than flights? That's interesting! Where - BA site? Did it include the insurance for UK drivers? I had no idea it would then include the luggage.

3 - the hotel, again was this on the BA site? Interesting again as I didn't know you could book 5 nights only (or are you only staying 5 nights?).

All very interesting as I'm trying to get booked just now and having no luck whatsoever getting a deal and also getting flight times that I like!

Have been considering Glasgow to LA flights to get the cost down a bit, and I also like LA/Long Beach as a 'side trip'. Last night I saw a Phoenix option which I would also consider, but if I do GLA-Phoenix, LAS-GLA, then KLM is coming up cheaper. What to do?
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    dan28 wrote: »
    Four comp nights at Bellagio are really nice but you have to expect that everything in the hotel like pringles, water, restaurants, and of course table limits, are more expensive than in a resort like MGM Grand ;-).
    Anyway I am sure you will have a great time.

Yes i realise that :)
    My post was just that prices in general have risen since i last went.
    A trip to walgreens or a cvs will sort the water and snacks for the room and table or slot play will generally get you a comp drink.
  • dan28
    dan28 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    baza52 wrote: »
    Yes i realise that :)
    My post was just that prices in general have risen since i last went.
    A trip to walgreens or a cvs will sort the water and snacks for the room and table or slot play will generally get you a comp drink.

Ok :). In addition to CVS and Walgreens I can also recommend ABC Stores. You can find these shops e.g. in the Showcase Mall next to MGM Grand or at Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    dan28 wrote: »
    Ok :). In addition to CVS and Walgreens I can also recommend ABC Stores. You can find these shops e.g. in the Showcase Mall next to MGM Grand or at Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood.

Or, if you have a car, a trip to Walmart is a right laugh. It's the only time I find a trip to a supermarket a lot of fun.
    We go and get one of those giant packs of water and lots of snacks to tide us over when we stay.
    Still haven't found any of those fabled 'Peeps' that get a mention on this thread from time to time.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 7 May 2019 at 10:54AM
    1 - the wifi, I'm definitely considering this for my next trip, as I find the flights so boring, and it would be great to have wifi (payable I presume?). I could be working whilst travelling and saving me from catching up on stuff when I get home.

2 - flights plus car cheaper than flights? That's interesting! Where - BA site? Did it include the insurance for UK drivers? I had no idea it would then include the luggage.

3 - the hotel, again was this on the BA site? Interesting again as I didn't know you could book 5 nights only (or are you only staying 5 nights?).

All very interesting as I'm trying to get booked just now and having no luck whatsoever getting a deal and also getting flight times that I like!

Have been considering Glasgow to LA flights to get the cost down a bit, and I also like LA/Long Beach as a 'side trip'. Last night I saw a Phoenix option which I would also consider, but if I do GLA-Phoenix, LAS-GLA, then KLM is coming up cheaper. What to do?

1. I have Boingo with my Virgin Rewards+ card which gave me free wifi on the first leg (LAS to PHI). Would have been around $19 (PHI to LHR). It was around $12 I think for the first flight otherwise.

2. BA website yes. You book with BA Holidays. Any flight + car, flight + hotel etc. throws in free luggage for each person. I find that adding a car will very commonly (not always) actually lower the price!

Regarding car insurance, all the major US chains have free car insurance at $0 deductible. BA uses Avis which is most definately full insurance, $0 deductible. So if I damage the car, no charge!

3. You can do custom trips. We actually flew into SLC (LHR to SEA (BA), SEA to SLC (Alaska Airlines) and then LAS to PHI (AA), PHI to LHR (AA) back) and did the Grand Circle first (Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Bryce, Zion etc.) before ending with 5 nights in Vegas (3 in Tropicana, 2 in Golden Nugget).

We spent 16 nights out in the USA (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and Nevada) with only 5 being booked via BA. You don't need to have every night covered with them.

BA Holidays tends to only have hotels at major destinations so we compared prices for the vegas portion (via create custom trip) and we saved around £100 adding it to our BA booking rather than booking elsewhere.

Our over nights were all done via hotels.com so we earned, yet another, free night!
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Interesting on the 'Boingo' wifi.... (I use the VA+ )
    Wonder if you get free wifi on the VA routes ? (LHR - LAX)

And as Dontone said:
    Wal-mart = the way forward!
    We use the store on Tropicana and S Eastern Avenue (other side of airport).
    Drinks, snacks, goodies, , thats where i stock up on my BBQ sauces / Meguiars stuff to bring home!

2 Must-Haves for the hotel room:
    Cheeto's Xtra Hot + Chips 'Ahoy cookies! Nothing else matters! haha!

ohhhhhhh roll on 3 weeks, cant wait to go back !!! :D:D:D:D:D
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

Have you looked at ex Inverness? Often comes up cheaper
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

2. BA website yes. You book with BA Holidays. Any flight + car, flight + hotel etc. throws in free luggage for each person. I find that adding a car will very commonly (not always) actually lower the price!

Regarding car insurance, all the major US chains have free car insurance at $0 deductible. BA uses Avis which is most definately full insurance, $0 deductible. So if I damage the car, no charge!

3. You can do custom trips. We actually flew into SLC (LHR to SEA (BA), SEA to SLC (Alaska Airlines) and then LAS to PHI (AA), PHI to LHR (AA) back) and did the Grand Circle first (Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Bryce, Zion etc.) before ending with 5 nights in Vegas (3 in Tropicana, 2 in Golden Nugget).

I'm trying this just now but not having much luck. Adding a car after adding luggage already, the price difference is lower. If I remove the luggage, then add the car, the difference is higher but the total is the same, so it seems that the luggage isn't 'free' as such, but built into the price. I'm also not getting the car at the same price as flight only, but rather about £200 or so more, and even more than that if I've already selected flight without luggage.

I'm not quite sure, but the Avios earned also looks lower. I'll keep messing about with different options to see if anything good appears.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure