House of Fraser falls into administration - MSE News

Department store House of Fraser has fallen into administration - though its stores will remain open and continue trading as normal for now...
Read the full story:
'House of Fraser falls into administration'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    House of Fraser customers will now have to squeeze past step ladders to be told they cannot have a refund, only a credit note.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Made redundant or transferred to Sports Direct - devil or deep blue sea for the employees. :eek:
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Not sure which is the devil.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Will you get a £5 in store voucher when you buy something online at House of Fraser from now on?
  • On reading this I planned to go in and spend the £140 of House of Fraser gift cards I have immediately to avoid losing them, however I thought it was worth ringing first and I've now been told I won't be able to use them at all (not even after 24 hours) and so I need to return them to head office to get replacements. This is not a freepost address so I would be expecting that House of Fraser would be reimbursing us all for the cost of postage?
  • Rich2808 wrote: »
    Will you get a £5 in store voucher when you buy something online at House of Fraser from now on?

Or a large mug?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    PMSL

He owns Flannels a very highend designer brand.

Owns 30% of Debenhams.

No zero hours contracts there.

No ladders either.
  • Does anyone know why Mike Ashley is refusing to accept gift cards? Forgive my ignorance but the company hasn't changed, just the owner. If a company is a legal person in its own right (standard company law principle) then why would a change in owner affect the company's ability to accept its own issued gift cards? If they're issuing replacements then it doesn't sound like a fiscal issue but something else.

There's also no indication of how long the replacement gift card will take to arrive, or whether they require a prepaid envelope for this? What if the returned gift card is lost in the post? Obviously I'll be sending mine by recorded delivery but I doubt MAshley will authorise the same for return.

I might well have missed something which answers these questions, but it seems even the staff don't know what is going on so hoping to get a bit more info here.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone know why Mike Ashley is refusing to accept gift cards? Forgive my ignorance but the company hasn't changed, just the owner. If a company is a legal person in its own right (standard company law principle) then why would a change in owner affect the company's ability to accept its own issued gift cards? If they're issuing replacements then it doesn't sound like a fiscal issue but something else.

There's also no indication of how long the replacement gift card will take to arrive, or whether they require a prepaid envelope for this? What if the returned gift card is lost in the post? Obviously I'll be sending mine by recorded delivery but I doubt MAshley will authorise the same for return.

I might well have missed something which answers these questions, but it seems even the staff don't know what is going on so hoping to get a bit more info here.
    I think that the act of it going into administration makes the difference.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Does anyone know why Mike Ashley is refusing to accept gift cards? Forgive my ignorance but the company hasn't changed, just the owner. If a company is a legal person in its own right (standard company law principle) then why would a change in owner affect the company's ability to accept its own issued gift cards? If they're issuing replacements then it doesn't sound like a fiscal issue but something else.

The company has changed. The House of Fraser PLC is in administration. Sports Direct purchased its business and assets for £90m from the administrators. The liabilities remain with House of Fraser PLC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure