PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Redundancy

Options

Comments

• tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I like mine with apple and cinnamon, son will have his with brown sugar, husband just pulls a face its a texture thing with him he doesn't like rice dishes like risotto or cous cous either but is happy to eat granola. I shouldn't moan he used to only eat beige foods when I met him but he will pretty much eat most veg and pulses now without complaint.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear your little man is under the weather, that's the downside when they first start school they do pick up everything that's doing the rounds but usually bounce back quite quickly,
    Fingers crossed for your husband's interview even if nothing comes from it it's all good practice when you have been out of the job hunting game awhile.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    I like mine with apple and cinnamon, son will have his with brown sugar, husband just pulls a face its a texture thing with him he doesn't like rice dishes like risotto or cous cous either but is happy to eat granola. I shouldn't moan he used to only eat beige foods when I met him but he will pretty much eat most veg and pulses now without complaint.

Have you considered flapjacks?

I know they don't sound much like breakfast but you can make them without sugar/butter if you use apples and could switch ginger and cinnamon easily enough.

Just to add to your repertoire and to add a texture alternative :)

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23584/no-added-sugar-apple-oat-flapjacks.aspx
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Wanted to wave hello chirpychick, how sensible you sound! And hello to all those with such good advice.
    DH & I both worked for the NHS, so never in your position, but did have to stretch pennies, and having worked with families of kids with special needs, I understand some of your problems.
    Ask at school, and whoever you see in the NHS, health visitor, school nurse, whoever. There are often support groups for families, and since most families in your position are watching the pennies, they are often very helpful. I think it a great idea to meet with another mum and chat & support.
    Although cut backs are severe, do check your council website, your library and any local charities / organisations that provide support for kids with special needs. My own authority still has a few free events, which can be very cheering (I know it may depend on how your 'pickle' is).
    I would agree, definitely cut Xmas gifts, but I'd also say that if anyone close says they wish to give you one - accept graciously. I have a young relative in a similar position, and it gives me great pleasure to give gifts that I know (because I check) are useful and uplifting. I tell her she can bring pretty stuff to me when I'm in a nursing home!
    Good luck!
  • mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, Chirpychick. Re the meet up with your friend in the pub. Maybe just ask for water and say you are feeling under the weather or starting a new health regime. They shouldn't charge for tap water. I realize that you may be "taking advantage" by not adding to the pubs profit, but sometimes needs must!

You will survive this. Four years ago we moved to our forever house. A smallholding with 13 acres. We now live on tax credits, a very small personal pension and a tiny income. No money at all, but I would not change anything. Fresh air, peace and quiet, simple lifestyle, can't beat it. M2m.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Another thought chirpychick: don't miss your exercise because of cutting out the gym, keep up something for the sake of your mental and physical health. Even in cold weather, you can still enjoy walks / runs - look at 'health walks' if you prefer company - our local ones are very well attended.
    Our local gym (old council run one) has a decent plain, but good size swimming pool, and cheap swim only membership, and 'family swim' sessions.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Our local libraries in our borough do 'Healthy living walks' my one is on a Monday morning and there is either a 'short' walk which takes in the local park ,or a slightly longer one which does the park plus a few other pretty roads We all meet at the library and split into what ever walk you fancy When we all arrive back at the library there is free tea or coffee plus a couple of biscuits :)You get to meet lots of different people of all ages not just us 'oldies' and some folk bring their dog along as well.look at you local council site for all sorts of free activities Its surprising whats out there which often is overlooked.Gym membership is nice if you can afford it but a walk in the park is free and you get the fresh air thrown in for nothing :):)

Chin up honey, this too will pass

JackieO xxx
  • Sj62
    Sj62 Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2017 at 11:57AM
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    Hello Chirpychick.

Reading through your posts a couple of things struck me -

Look into claiming free school meals. Check your county council website or ask in the school office. In addition to free meals your child might get free school milk and any educational visits should be free.

Are elderly inlaws entitled to attendance allowance which will help pay their transport costs?

As well as that Chirpychick it may be worth your while claiming PIP (Personal Indepedence Payments) for yourself (I think you said you need a mobility scooter?). There's no guarantee you'll get it but put the claim in quickly as, if they do agree it, then it'll be backdated. Always a bonus. They usually put people through hoops to get it but if refused, always, always appeal! It's not just the money, although that's a huge bonus, but it can entitle you to other things - perhaps a bus pass, discounts in local authority swimming pools if you want to take the wee man?
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sj62 wrote: »
    As well as that Chirpychick it may be worth your while claiming PIP (Personal Indepedence Payments) for yourself (I think you said you need a mobility scooter?). There's no guarantee you'll get it but put the claim in quickly as, if they do agree it, then it'll be backdated. Always a bonus. They usually put people through hoops to get it but if refused, always, always appeal! It's not just the money, although that's a huge bonus, but it can entitle you to other things - perhaps a bus pass, discounts in local authority swimming pools if you want to take the wee man?

It’s not me that has a mobility scooter :) I’m mostly fit an healthy, its my little boy who has additional needs - but thank you for your suggestions hopefully that will be help to someone else reading. X
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • Litchielou
    Options
    Hope you don't mind me commenting but if your child has mobility issues have you looked into getting carers allowance Chirpychick.
    Anyone who receives this allowance also has access to cheap entrance fees and other freebies my daughter is a carer and she can have her hair cut or have her nails done for free occasionally, I'm sure other things are available as well.
    I don't post often but read the threads a lot and feel this forum is the best for all kinds of support.
    Good luck to you x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport