Dual SIM phone limitations

Options

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My traffic is only light website use and email, so perhaps I'm not generating enough to trigger the limit. Thanks - worth knowing though, as I now know to keep usage low when I can't get coverage on the MiFi limpet.

I'm dithering now. I almost went for a Moto G4 dual-SIM but it's a little bigger than I want, and it doesn't get good reviews for reliability either - rather like the G5.
  • davey4444
    davey4444 Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2017 at 4:08PM
    Options
    I've got a Lenovo P2 and I'm really happy with it. Dual SIM (Gifgaff and Three) and I get great speeds from either as far as I'm concerned. Also the battery life is fantastic, I easily get 2 days with moderate use and it's even got a Power Save feature which quickly turns it into a dumb phone which can be useful when the power is really low.

Also I was reading the the new Pixel phone will be dual SIM, one is a virtual (eSim) and then a physical one.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    davey4444 wrote: »
    I've got a Lenovo P2 and I'm really happy with it. Dual SIM (Gifgaff and Three) and I get great speeds from either as far as I'm concerned. Also the battery life is fantastic, I easily get 2 days with moderate use and it's even got a Power Save feature which quickly turns it into a dumb phone which can be useful when the power is really low.

But does is support 3G on both SIM's simultaneously?
  • davey4444
    davey4444 Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2017 at 5:16PM
    Options
    Hmm, I'm sure that it does. Do you mean if I move from Giffgaff to Three via the Settings > Sim Management > Mobile Data? If so, then I've definitely had 3G on the Three SIM which is my backup one and I get 4G from the Giffgaff. Or have I misunderstood the issue?

BpKNKY5m.jpg
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm, I'm sure that it does. Do you mean if I move from Giffgaff to Three via the Settings > Sim Management > Mobile Data? If so, then I've definitely had 3G on the Three SIM which is my backup one and I get 4G from the Giffgaff. Or have I misunderstood the issue?

No, do you get 3 or 4G on both SIMs at the same time. On my G5 I get a HSDPA or 4G symbol by one of the signal bar graph say for 3 and no symbol by the other signal bar graph say for O2 i.e. 2G.

I see the updated image but what about on the screen itself on the status bar?
  • fwor
    Options

Also I was reading the the new Pixel phone will be dual SIM, one is a virtual (eSim) and then a physical one.

Sadly the time has passed to get a Lenovo P2 at a sensible price, and the new Pixel won't be in my budget either.

I almost went for a Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus earlier this eve. I could find no statement either way whether it supports 2 SIMs properly, but... the battery life is something I could not live with.

Probably back to the Moto G4 but I really don't want a big white phone (possibly due to the 70s euphemism "talking into the big white telephone")! More prevarication...
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When you are using SIM 1 (GiffGaff) for mobile data, do you have any signal on SIM 2 (Three) for calls/texts?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    fwor wrote: »
    I want to be able to use a Three 123 PAYG SIM in the first SIM slot (for phone calls and as a backup for data, tethered to a laptop) and the second SIM slot for an EE PAYG data SIM (tethered to a laptop).
    To me, your problem seems to have been caused by your insistence on using your SIMs the wrong way round! The EE should be the back-up because 3 do 1 month rolling contracts for calls + data which allow tethering, if you don't want to commit. If you do, there are some excellent 12 month deals with unlimited mins and 4GB data for £9 pm or 12GB for £12pm. If you can get the £60 Topcashback for the latter, then that works out at £7pm, and you can tether the lot. For the former, it's £5.67. Even for the much smaller amounts of data you may actually need, I expect you are paying through the nose with EE PAYG.
    https://www.topcashback.co.uk/3-mobile/
  • fwor
    Options
    Thanks - but I don't think in my case it makes a huge amount of difference either way!

My spend on Three for voice/text use is probably £2/month on their PAYG 123 tariff. I use a fixed cost PAYG data SIM for the times I'm away from home for 3-4 weeks at a time, when a 2GB 30day SIM is about as cheap as it gets. Whichever way I do it, my yearly spend is going to be around £20, which is Ok by me, but I bet no mobile operator actually wants my business very badly!

Anyway, I've just bought a Moto G4 Dual-SIM (£149 from John Lewis with 2 year warranty), plus a replacement back case in black as I don't want a white phone. I may live to regret it in terms of reliability, but I can live without a phone for a few days at a time and it won't kill me!
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    I've never heard that 1970s euphemism and I thought that you maybe got confused with 'white van man' :)
    A bit of digging reveals that this image is one you might have wanted to avoid....319CE3CC00000578-0-image-a-27_1456588239323.jpg

The phone you bought is available in black or white, so maybe people might wonder why you chose the white one!
    Reviewer Nick from Staffs explains...
    Note This white version of this phone is correctly described in the product description as dual Sim. If dual Sim is important to you do not be tempted, as I was, to buy the black version after assurances from JL's online customer adviser that the only difference in the two is the colour. The black version of this phone is NOT dual Sim, or at least the one I bought wasn't, despite some reviews for the black version saying they are. In fairness to John Lewis the product description for the black one makes no mention of dual Sim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure