PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Desperate for a particular house

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The photos don't make the rooms look massively spacious - and there are no dimensions on the floorplan.

"Gas appliance" in bed 3, but it's not visible in the photo (assuming the cot room is bed 3) - what is it? The boiler?
  • Wobblydeb
    Wobblydeb Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How did you get on over the weekend, toddler9?

I had a look at your house, and am guessing you bought for £163,500 2 years ago? It looks absolutely lovely now, but is it really worth £56.5k more?

I can see why you would price it at £220k - after all 26 Newlyn Avenue sold for £217.5k. What I'm not sure is how much premium a south facing garden and cul-de-sac location is adding to that house..... [I am among the people who will not buy a house with an East facing garden, so don't discount it as a factor]

My only other thought was whether your house is leasehold? There has been recent press interest in this which was not around a couple of years ago.
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
  • toddler9
    toddler9 Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    No news yet!

Yes we bought it for £163k 2 years ago, but he house has been completely renovated since then. Garden dig out, central heating, plastron , electrics , kitchen , bathroom, driveway etc. It hadn't been touched since 1974!

No it's freehold . Also appreciate the east garden isn't for everyone - including me 😂

Well looks like we will call it a day , paydown the mortgage and put it back on in the spring 😊
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    toddler9 wrote: »
    Thanks for the support everyone. We have about 10k leeway now we have lowered our price, but considering the other property needs a complete renovation I would feel safer to have it to put towards that.

I think we will see what happens this weekend and then look to go back on the market next year, with an open mind on what we might like to buy instead.

Here is our house - open to feedback! All the feedback we have had so far is that it is too small which is fair enough. Literally everything is new in the house including gutters, boiler, windows, kitchen, bathroom, rewriting, plastering! So you can see why I'm sad it's not sold yet we have put a lot of love into it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50789421.html#

Well presented, but on the small side, and the price isn`t realistic IMO. Most people now will want to avoid negative equity if they can, the work/love you have put in probably isn`t on their radar.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    Well looks like we will call it a day , paydown the mortgage and put it back on in the spring ��

That's not a bad idea, go hell for leather at your mortgage until then and think of it as a savings scheme with perks.
    Shame about the house you really liked but others will pop up and the spring usually sees a few more come to market, at least your not in a desperate rush to move and have a lovely house to live in for the meantime
  • toddler9
    toddler9 Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options

Well presented, but on the small side, and the price isn`t realistic IMO. Most people now will want to avoid negative equity if they can, the work/love you have put in probably isn`t on their radar.

Thanks for the feedback. If it were you what price would you market for?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options

Given that it's Crashy you're talking to, I suspect the answer is "46p, and even that's overpriced..."
  • Debtslayer
    Options

Best bit of advice anyone on here will give you is don't take any notice of anything Crashy says
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036:eek: Target MED: 2026 ;)
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £684.80
    MFW No 124 :money:
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options

Seriously, please do not ask Crashy for valuations. Look up his posts over the last few months. If other vendors had followed his advice you will see that they would have been tens of thousands of pounds out of pocket. He never once said 'sorry'.
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I don't know the area and prices there but have a couple of thoughts.

Photos 2 and 3 look really dark. I would get them redone on a brighter day or with better lighting. The sitting room and kitchen are so key, they need to stand out well.

Can you move the strings in the garden? I can't tell if it's a harmless (but cluttery) washing line or something more significant.

Good luck!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure