PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord selling / sold house need some legal advice

Comments

• Op, you've mentioned the phases "bullying" and "bully tactics" several times. However, you have not explained what you think the landlord did to justify this description.

The landlord wanting you to leave so that he can sell the property is not "bullying". It is perfectly reasonable for the landlord to do that. There are any number of reasons why the landlord might want to sell the property.

Why do you say you thought you were staying in the property? Unless the landlord actually promised to let you stay in the property, I think it is unreasonable to be stubborn for the sake of it.

Last time the LL came to the property they was abusive and using threatening behavior, threatening various things, including giving Me a section 21 IF I did not do what they wanted when they wanted it done
    The LL went to the local shop 5 minutes previous to coming to the property and was afaik from what I have been told was being aggressive
    They are taller than Me and thought I would cower in the corner of My own home, they was wrong, next time they come to the property and act the way they did previously I will call the police
    It has absolutely nothing to do with wanting Me to leave so that He can sell the property or getting revenge or whatever

I am not being unreasonable in My actions, far from it, I am simply looking out for My own interests and My own legal rights, and the LL or anyone else would also do the same in My situation
    I know for a fact that they would not have sold the property if it was not for Me changing the kitchen and also doing some work that the LL asked Me to do to the property, which I have been informed He will not be paying Me for, work that has also helped him sell the property (he had it on the market before and no one wanted to pay the price for the condition it was in at the time, that was a while before I moved into the property from what I have been told)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Me and my don't start with a capital letters.
  • FBaby wrote: »
    To be fair, my response was not so much directed at your posts but that of a poster who automatically advise people to make themselves helpless rather than looking at how they can make due of the situation to benefit them rather than thinking of action to punish the person who is putting them in the situation in the first place.

You seem to be letting your anger speak out and as such focusing on the past and present, forgetting about the future. Not minimizing your anger, and indeed, if you agreed with the LL to put a new kitchen a few months before being told the house was to be sold and got nothing for it, then this is morally despicable, but my point is that it doesn't change anything at all. You will have to move out, so your efforts should be 100% on trying to find somewhere else that will be a much better experience for you, not waiting helplessly thinking of ways to make things as hard as possible for the LL. In the end, they WILL get what they want, so make sure that you do to.

Sometimes wires can get crossed in text on forums and I apologize, most likely read what was written by Yourself, wrongfully, Sorry

Yes that is basically what the LL has done, and as You can imagine I am angry at that especially now I am in a position where I cannot afford to find a new place to live and I will eventually be homeless and if the worst comes to the worst will be living on the streets, all the while the landlord has profited off a nice new kitchen and work I have done to the property (some of which He asked Me to do and never paid Me for when He said He would)

That is My primary goal is to find somewhere to Live not make things difficult for the LL
    I am just looking out for My own interests and My own legal rights, especially with how they are acting illegally
    Would not mind if I had rent arrears or been a bad tenant, rent is always paid on time every time it is due and I also look after the property (probably the only one who has in years)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Slithery wrote: »
    Me and my don't start with a capital letters.

Whatevs lol

Not here to discuss grammar or splleing (that was on purpose lol)

I will say this tho I have always been taught by teachers when I was younger that they did start with a capital letter, is why I have always done that for as long as I can remember
  • ProDave wrote: »
    As long as you put back the old kitchen exactly as it was. However I suspect the OP may not have carefully stored the old units in case.

You can't remove it and leave it without a kitchen.

You would be right, they was smashed up with a hammer and then dumped in the local tip (was the best place for them TBH )
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 January 2018 at 11:48PM
    Last time the LL came to the property they was abusive and using threatening behavior, threatening various things, including giving Me a section 21 IF I did not do what they wanted when they wanted it done

The LL went to the local shop 5 minutes previous to coming to the property and was afaik from what I have been told was being aggressive

They are taller than Me and thought I would cower in the corner of My own home, they was wrong, next time they come to the property and act the way they did previously I will call the police
    It has absolutely nothing to do with wanting Me to leave so that He can sell the property or getting revenge or whatever

I am not being unreasonable in My actions, far from it, I am simply looking out for My own interests and My own legal rights, and the LL or anyone else would also do the same in My situation
    I know for a fact that they would not have sold the property if it was not for Me changing the kitchen and also doing some work that the LL asked Me to do to the property, which I have been informed He will not be paying Me for, work that has also helped him sell the property (he had it on the market before and no one wanted to pay the price for the condition it was in at the time, that was a while before I moved into the property from what I have been told)
    It may just be me, but I still don't really understand what the landlord did so wrong.

Clearly you did not appreciate the landlord saying he would serve you with a section 21 notice, but I wouldn't describe that as a "threat" or as "bullying". It is perfectly legitimate and reasonable for a landlord to want to sell his property and to say that he will serve a section 21 to achieve that.

When you start talking about how the landlord was aggressive to the local shop, not even to you, it is starting to sound like you are clutching at straws.

I don't really know what happened as I wasn't there. But I do know that being stubborn for the sake of it will not get you anywhere - and may well backfire, as you will be without a reference and potentially liable for legal costs if the landlord has to take it to court.

I understand that you want to be paid for the value-add of installing a new kitchen. But at the end of the day, unless the landlord actually promised to give you a longer tenancy or to reimburse you for the cost of the kitchen, he didn't promise anything.

I agree with others that your energy is best directed to finding a new place and working out an arrangement with the landlord that allows you to move there. A full refund of the deposit in time to pay the deposit on a new place would be a good arrangement to make with the landlord. Please don't stress yourself out trying to get back at the landlord.

I actually thought the letter you posted from the letting agent looked quite nice and helpful. They were offering to help you find a new property. It might be worth taking them up on that? The fact that they need you out the other property will incentivise the agent to be helpful for finding a new one?
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Whatevs lol

Not here to discuss grammar or splleing (that was on purpose lol)

I will say this tho I have always been taught by teachers when I was younger that they did start with a capital letter, is why I have always done that for as long as I can remember

It was just a bit of friendly advice to make your posts sound more acceptable.

Using Me and My makes you sound angry and entitled :)
  • Honestly, I don't really understand what the landlord did so wrong.

Clearly you did not appreciate the landlord saying he would serve you with a section 21 notice, but I wouldn't describe that as a "threat". It is perfectly legitimate for a landlord to want to serve a section 21 if he wants to sell the property.

When you start talking about how the landlord was aggressive to the shop (not even to you), it is starting to sound like you are clutching at straws.

I don't really know what happened as I wasn't there. But I do know that being deliberately stubborn for the sake of it will not get you anywhere - and may well backfire, as you will be without a reference and potentially liable for legal costs if the landlord has to take it to court.

I understand that you want to be paid for the value-add of installing a new kitchen. But at the end of the day, unless the landlord actually promised to give you a longer tenancy or to reimburse you for the cost of the kitchen, he didn't promise anything.

I agree with others that your energy is best directed to finding a new place and working out an arrangement with the landlord that allows you to move there.

I actually thought the letter you posted from the letting agent looked quite nice and helpful. They were offering to help you find a new property.

You was not here to witness the aggressive threatening behavior of the LL IF You was then You would fully understand why I said He was acting in a threatening manner and trying to bully Me

I did not state that the letter was anything but those things You mentioned, I posted that letter because someone did not believe that the agents stated they would be out on a set date and time to collect the keys etc and to get Me to move out on that date, that is all
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You was not here to witness the aggressive threatening behavior of the LL IF You was then You would fully understand why I said He was acting in a threatening manner and trying to bully Me

I did not state that the letter was anything but those things You mentioned, I posted that letter because someone did not believe that the agents stated they would be out on a set date and time to collect the keys etc and to get Me to move out on that date, that is all

Indeed, I was not there. We can only advise based on the information you give us. Based on the information you give us, I am in the dark as to what the landlord did to justify the accusation of being a bully.

Either way, it is irrelevant I suppose. Whether the landlord is the nicest person in the world or the nastiest person in the world, he is still entitled to serve a section 21 to end the tenancy.

And he doesn't have to pay you for the kitchen (unless he promised to do so).

The question is really how you want to conduct yourself to achieve the best possible outcome.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes that is basically what the LL has done, and as You can imagine I am angry at that especially now I am in a position where I cannot afford to find a new place to live and I will eventually be homeless
    Are you angry because you put the kitchen and he then decided to sell? If that's the case, yes, you have a right to be angry, but you CAN do something about this. The rest you have no reasons to be angry about. As a tenant on a rolling contract, you can be told that the house is being sold at anytime and that you need to leave within 2 months. That's the downfall of being a tenant and something you should accept, so anger is not relevant for that purpose.

If your main issue is that you found yourself without funds for a deposit, then as said, you had the option to sell your kitchen as soon as you knew the house was put on sale. As Artful pointed out, even if you couldn't put back the old one and the LL decided to sue you for it, considering the condition of the previous one, and you putting your case forward, it's very unlikely he would have got anything from it anyway. The chances that he would indeed take you to court for this are almost none as clearly, all he cares is to get rid of the house. Even if, in the worse case, you were ordered to repay him, at least by then you'd have had the deposit money to move somewhere.

So you do need to take responsibility for the situation you are finding yourself in. You are as much, if not more at fault.

As for the abuse, considering how angry you are, and defensive, I expect they would probably say you were as abusive to them as you say they were.

Use your energy to benefit you, not to punish someone who won't care one bit about you. Dismantle that kitchen today, sell in on ebay, go and look for somewhere else to live that you'd be happy with, and pay the deposit/fee with what you get from the kitchen. Learn from this experience and NEVER EVER agree to spend your money on anything that increase the value of the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure