Saving for my very own place...

Comments

• nyc_451
    nyc_451 Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    So finally the salary is in my account...or shall I say, it was there this morning :D

Put away as much as I could:
    - ISA £415
    - HTB ISA £200
    - LISA £200
    - emergency fund £75
    - holidays £20
    - dentist £20

Also paid off my cc. £100 left for food. Preparing myself for a very boring skint month...
  • Zaphiera
    Zaphiera Posts: 33 Forumite
    I got paid this week too Blue mango, it feels so good doesn’t it! Well done with your savings, hopefully it doesn’t end up being as much of a boring month as you think.
  • nyc_451
    Zaphiera wrote: »
    I got paid this week too Blue mango, it feels so good doesn’t it! Well done with your savings, hopefully it doesn’t end up being as much of a boring month as you think.

Thanks Zaphiera. :) I am willing to make some sacrifices in return for my own flat as I can't see myself renting a room forever. Rent costs just as much as a mortgage in my area, it's crazy!

Trying to plan my food budget for the next month. One of the few changes I need to make is start cooking rice myself rather than buying microwavable packs @0.65 each. I will also occasionally make some bean burgers by Jack Monroe as they're cheap and delicious, not buy any sweets and maybe stick to a cheaper (but decent) coffee rather than premium sachets? That should be enough of a challenge for the first month...
  • nyc_451
    Sooo... I have stumbled upon a flat that I could afford already, and I just couldn't get it out of my head... Discussed it with a friend and we're off to view it this weekend :) The agent has also offered me a more ecpensive flat but I could still afford it, so will view it too. I want to see whether a small one bed is enough for me or I need a bigger place. In my head, I have already arranged the furniture in the flat I like :D
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Go to an ethnic grocery shop to buy a large pack of rice as it is usually v cheap. Just add one glass of water for every half glass of rice and boil, when it is boiling turn down heat to low and after 15 mins it will be ready to eat. No need for a rice cooker or anything just a regular pan.

Good luck with flat. Yay.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • nyc_451
    Thanks Saving Wannabe.

So the flat I was originally interested in is gone, I didn't even get to see it...oh well. The second flat was more like a studio, a small kitchenette in a living room, I didn't like that. Plus no parking space. So I'll keep saving money and keep an eye out for a nice flat...

This week I have done well money wise, only £23.30 on food, didn't buy any unnecessary things at all. We went to costa after viewing the proerties and I've paid but that doesn't count ;)
  • savingwannabe
    You are entitled to a little treat after all the hassle about looking for accommodation. Well done on spending so little on food. OMG. It's an achievement.
  • nyc_451
    Yesterday I found another flat that ticked all the boxes...phoned them only to be told it's been sold :(

Finding the right place is more difficult than I thought. Ideally I'd like to find something cheap before April 2018 because if I don't move before then, I'm locking my deposit in LISA until October 2018. Initially I wasn't planning to move so quickly but if I have enough money for a deposit, fees and a bed, why not...
  • savingwannabe
    I hope one appears soon that you like and are able to buy. Don't be disheartened. Keep saving and it will be worth it. :T
  • nyc_451
    edited 4 November 2017 at 2:19PM
    Declined a night out although I really wanted to go... It's been a while since I had some fun, this saving money thing is making me very unsociable... :( But I don't want to regret not saving enough once I find a place to buy, like I'm regretting all that wasted money now...

So. I've spent £44 on food so far, that's not too bad. Haven't bought any new clothes or make up, or any other nice things. Boring boring boring. Can't wait to find a place and start living again. I wouldn't even mind buying a property in need of a full renovation and making it my creative project ☺
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure