Old Employer claiming I owe money

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    I think you mean 4 months, and yeah...that's the point :T

ohhhh yep. ;-]

Well they will have a job if he handed it back and it was left in the car park, probably used as a loan or pool car and then want him to repair damage 4 months later.................good luck with that.
  • scd3scd4 wrote: »
    ohhhh yep. ;-]

Well they will have a job if he handed it back and it was left in the car park, probably used as a loan or pool car and then want him to repair damage 4 months later.................good luck with that.

Problem is, like a hire car, unless you can prove it was fine when you handed it back, you can get stung for the cost of 'repairs'. And just as the car hire company has your credit card details, the former employer has the commission the OP thinks it owes him, so they can help themselves.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    and in actual fact it doesnt take a lot of damage to rack up repair costs to 1100£.
    A small dent in the boot of my Ford Ka cost me just about that.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just to be clear here did you cause any damage to the car or not? If you did what sort of damage?
  • scd3scd4
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Problem is, like a hire car, unless you can prove it was fine when you handed it back, you can get stung for the cost of 'repairs'. And just as the car hire company has your credit card details, the former employer has the commission the OP thinks it owes him, so they can help themselves.

I would think they have equal issues proving it if it went to court. I would be taking action on them and they can do what they think they need to do. One does not cancel the other in my view.
  • scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I would think they have equal issues proving it if it went to court. I would be taking action on them and they can do what they think they need to do. One does not cancel the other in my view.

That’s what I would (after a careful reading of the terms and conditions regarding my bonus)
  • It sounds to me like the OP knows the car was damaged and the company haven't "left it for months"; he knew this bill was coming; it's only the amount that has surprised him.
  • scd3scd4
    It sounds to me like the OP knows the car was damaged and the company haven't "left it for months"; he knew this bill was coming; it's only the amount that has surprised him.

Where did he say that??
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    That was my reading of the situation as well, from post 4.
    OP doesn't specifically say that, but given they appear willing to consider a payment plan there is a suggestion they were aware of some damage.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October 2017 at 9:15AM
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Where did he say that??

They don't say it directly. They don't say they didn't know about it either though - it's very vague.

The second paragraph talking about insurance, "fair wear and tear" and the amount of damage on the car is what makes me think this way. If somebody is trying to get you to pay for something you know nothing about you simply deny all responsibility, you don't start quibbling about the amount and degree of damage and insurance.

ardb27 wrote: »
    Hi all
    they have finally come back to me and notified me that in fact I owe them circa £600 primarily for damage to a company car which I dispute.
    ardb27 wrote: »
    Thank you - agree. However I think they would argue that they were getting it fixed and pricing it up. The amount stayed that I owe seems excessive to say the least given the little damage on the car (£1100?!!) and why they could get this paid with insurance, I do not know! Moreover, there is the added layer of ambiguity as to what constitutes as reasonable wear and tear...
    I would be prepared to go to court over this but do not want to risk additional costs and ccj if unsuccessful. It is difficult!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure