Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kpopopooo
    • By kpopopooo 3rd Jan 19, 5:34 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kpopopooo
    Help with SDA and pensions
    • 3rd Jan 19, 5:34 PM
    Help with SDA and pensions 3rd Jan 19 at 5:34 PM
    My father (81) passed away just before Xmas and I find myself having to sort out my mum's (76) money affairs, about which I know nothing.

As far as I can tell, he received pension credits for both of them something like 280 per week. He got DLA too and carer's allowance too. I've now cancelled all this by telling the DWP he's died.

My mum gets higher rate DLA (daily living, and mobility) and also SDA. When I phoned the DWP about dad they said my mum has never claimed a state pension, and this was probably because SDA got her more money.

Can somebody explain?

As far as I can tell, the way forward for her will probably be the widows pension plus her own and possibly some pension credits too but I'll need to check whether this works out to be more than SDA. Will the DWP/HMRC automatically take her off SDA? I know she can stay on DLA indefinitely, having been old enough at the cut-off point.
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 3rd Jan 19, 7:36 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 3,354 Thanks
    venison
    • 3rd Jan 19, 7:36 PM
    • 3rd Jan 19, 7:36 PM
    I would advise trying to get an appointment with CAB, some of what you say isn't how I understand things to work?
    Brexit here we c................crash.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 3rd Jan 19, 9:36 PM
    • 2,723 Posts
    • 3,174 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 3rd Jan 19, 9:36 PM
    • 3rd Jan 19, 9:36 PM
    I'm puzzled by why your mum is getting SDA.
    This was a benefit for claimants of working age.

"Severe Disablement Allowance was a benefit intended for those below the state pension age who cannot work because of illness or disability. It was replaced by Incapacity Benefit in April 2001, which itself was replaced by Employment and Support Allowance."

If your mum has not claimed her Pension it's more likely (I think) that the joint Pension Credit claim would have already maximised their income.

I would think claiming her Pension, and Pension Credit would be the way to go. If she takes all her DWP paperwork, savings, and income details to her CAB - they should be able to do a benefits check to confirm.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 3rd Jan 19, 10:58 PM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 4,020 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 3rd Jan 19, 10:58 PM
    • 3rd Jan 19, 10:58 PM
    I'm puzzled by why your mum is getting SDA.
    This was a benefit for claimants of working age.
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    Could the OP be confusing this with SDP? It seems like a lot of people get confused by this. I see that both parents were receiving DLA so it's more than likely the SDP rather than SDA.
    • C.C.L.
    • By C.C.L. 5th Jan 19, 3:38 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    C.C.L.
    • 5th Jan 19, 3:38 PM
    • 5th Jan 19, 3:38 PM
    I get SDA and have done since 1997. When I got to retirement age I had the choice of state pension or keeping the SDA instead. As I had only ever paid married womans stamp the SDA was double the pension so I opted to keep the SDA. Maybe this is what's happened?
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 5th Jan 19, 8:12 PM
    • 1,675 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    anmarj
    • 5th Jan 19, 8:12 PM
    • 5th Jan 19, 8:12 PM
    Sda was Severe Disablement benefit, if you had not paid any stamp and or National Insurance when working age, and went sick, you could not have claimed Incapacity Benefit, so could have got SDA instaed.

Ccl is correct, when it came to State Pension age, if the SDA was more than State Pension, they could stay on SDA.

So the OP mum needs to claim the State Pension
    Parent to one

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

901Posts Today

7,981Users online

Martin's Twitter