Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,307Posts
    • 13,794Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 7:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 7:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975
Page 3
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 29th Dec 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 13,794 Thanks
    3forholidays
    hi.. please can i join ... i have been watching from afar but never joined anything.. i love all the advice.. but wasn't brave enough to join...
    Originally posted by fizz1987
    Welcome to the thread fizz1987. Feel free to post when you can.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 30th Dec 18, 7:32 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 12,439 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Hi all, I hope you had the most wonderful Christmas! Sorry I didnít get on to post at the time, I had a busy day hosting this year. I was quite annoyed at myself as despite planning for Christmas all year and getting most things ahead I still had loads to do in the lead up to Christmas! Next year when I say Iím going to start wrapping in October and writing cards in November please hold me to it, as I didnít do it AGAIN this year and so was really busy in the lead up. I almost need a buddy to regularly check in that Iím doing it. I know I could wrap presents as I buy them throughout the year but I do prefer to do it nearer winter.

We had a lovely Christmas day with the in laws at ours, then we went to the theirs on Boxing Day with DHís brothers and families, thatís always a nice day. We were all packed and ready to go to my parents in the West Country on the 27th when we realised that Wiggle had chicken pox! Itís not surprising as most of his class were off with it before Christmas. It was disappointing not to go to my parents but weíre glad he got through most of the festivities before getting poorly. Although it does feel like we havenít Ďfinishedí Christmas, normally Iím ok afterwards but Iím struggling to let go of it this year! It probably is just because we havenít seen my parents. Weíre still hoping to go but weíre sure Squeak will get it as well so it may be a few weeks before we get there.

My 2019 Christmas spreadsheet is set up and ready to go! I had a quick mooch in the shops the other day and founds some lovely things, Iíve practically finished my best friends birthday presents and got various bits and bobs for others for Christmas. I do love present buying, Iím not great at shopping in general as I get a bit fed up but really enjoy it when shopping for gifts for people. Anyway Iím rambling now, sorry for the long post, I hope youíre all well and Iím looking forward to more chatter in 2019!

Hello and welcome all newbies, lovely to have you here!

3forholidays thank you once again for starting a new thread, you really do a great job and itís much appreciated.

Treasurequeen sorry you werenít feeling too well on Christmas day.

CHRISSYG Happy belated birthday!! Your poor DD, she has been through it hasnít she. I hope the meds help her and she has a much better year in 2019.

teabody welcome! I plan to cut my cards up this year to make labels, itís something I used to do for my mum as a child but as an adult I got caught up in making all my wrap and tags match, now Iím much more into reusing and recycling and realise the present still looks exciting!

apricity sounds like youíre on track for Christmas 2019 already! Like you 2019 is the year to completely declutter and organise my home. I started a few months ago but itís slow progress with two little ones and then I stopped for Christmas. Iím fed up with clutter and realise it is because we have too much stuff and not everything has a home.

MischiefManaged welcome, just wanted to say I love your name!
    • murie
    • By murie 30th Dec 18, 7:16 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 9,941 Thanks
    murie
    3forholidays- Thank you for setting up this years chatter- you are a star!

Chrisssy- Happy (belated) Birthday xx
    Welcome Newbies- we are a friendly bunch, not just Christmas obsessed, just good at all round 'nattering'.

Im glad everyone has had a good christmas (PK- poor Wiggle, hope they both get it over and done with soon x).
    We had a lovely Christmas, which was nice as it was far more relaxed than it has been in recent years. Ive not been tempted by anything in the sales (yet), although i did buy a birthday present for moms birthday (mid january). Ive started saving too, and have two 'pots' on the go, one for Christmas and one for birthdays. The Christmas savings worked well last year ( I get shopping for my mom every week and i ask her to put the money she owes into a 'fund' for me rather than paying me back). Hopefully I will be as strict with myself with the birthday 'pot'.

Whats everyone doing for New Year? We just do a big meal on New Years Eve and then TRY to stay awake to see the New Year in.

Im not big on making resolutions but Im aiming to lose weight (again!), try hard not to keep things 'just in case' (I could open a shop with the number Of Yankee Candle jars I have washed out !) and generally be more relaxed and not stress about things I have no control over.

If I dont get back on .....

Happy New Year everyone!!
    lovin' this site!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 31st Dec 18, 10:26 AM
    • 8,890 Posts
    • 29,091 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Can an intermittent lurker join? Most of my planning for 2019 is now about getting the 2018 decorations packaged correctly so the electrical things either work or just need new batteries next December.

Back in 2017, I wrapped tinsel around a few cards and that unfolded very easily & so I'll be snipping short slots into a few of the thicker cards this year - I could riffle through them like bobbins earlier this month & it was wonderful to pull the right stuff out easily!

Giftwrap? Awed - I am just so bad at packing that I tend to go vast on tissue then get nice shopping bags (and my family like the designer names like Cath Kidston & Orla Kiley so hurrah Tesco!) and route bags to different families. Mind, I live within range of Booths ('Waitrose of the North') so I have access to even more exotic bags for the family who are less into designer names.

In the sales I've snagged several more battery powered strings of LED lights, spem as much as 75 pence! The lads are not big on decorations but tolerate my love of lights.
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 31st Dec 18, 10:44 AM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 13,794 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Welcome to the thread DigForVictory. Intermittent lurkers are accepted! We are all a bit like that at times when real life gets in the way.

SPC No 043
    • Mischiefmanaged
    • By Mischiefmanaged 31st Dec 18, 11:35 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Mischiefmanaged
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Currently planning for the year ahead. 2 tins set up. Both for breaks on the next 2 years.

No big holiday this year as we really need a new bathroom so were surprising the kids with a short trip to Disneyland Paris in December. I've worked out how much I need to save. Once I've planned everything I'm really disciplined.

Got a couple of pressies to put away for next year. Made a list and a budget to stick to. Me, dh, sister, mum and step dad all save £10 each a week to cover all pressies and £5 each a month to cover food and booze for Christmas day, boxing day, NYE, and NYD. So starting to feel nice and organised.

Going in to town Thursday or Friday to try to bag some bargains. Like to get little bits I end up buying every year, pjs, Christmas socks, candles etc
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 31st Dec 18, 1:10 PM
    • 2,635 Posts
    • 36,009 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, glad all our year round hard work paid off! I usually like all my decs down before NY but last year and this year, Iím just not ready I think Iím going to leave them til the 5th. Then the kids will be home from work and can help me. I also bought wrapping paper and tags and crackers in Sainsburyís sale, I also got some crackers in bnm, I was a bit disappointed because bnm were advertising rose gold baubles but they didnít have them in the stores before or after Christmas

I always stay in NYE and stay up n watch the fireworks, last year I cba and went to bed then got woken up by local fireworks going off so I shall stay up tonight. Tomorrow Iíll have all the kids, DDs partner and DGS over for Roast Beef. I hope you all have a Happy New Year and hope 2019 will be a fab year for everyone, see you on the other side

TREASUREQUEEN sorry you felt so unwell on Christmas Day

3FORHOLIDAYS thankyou for the new thread (canít remember if I already said it)

PEPPAPIG yay go you making your tear n share bread I hope you are feeling better now

NIC glad you had a great Christmas you deserve it! Happy Hogmanay

PRINCESSKITTY aah bless poor Wiggle hope itís nearly gone now

WELCOME to all the new Christmas nuts
    CURRENTLY READING Trisha Ashley - A Good Heart is hard to find
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2019 £0.00
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2019- £160.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 31st Dec 18, 5:09 PM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 17,897 Thanks
    nic2075
    Looks like my post was reported. My IP address has been banned and a message from admin. I am on my phone using 3G. But I canít use it very well. The site is too hard to navigate.
    Not sure I will be back anytime soon. Not if I canít post for advice.

Hope you all have a good New year when it comes.
    Take care x
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 31st Dec 18, 5:12 PM
    • 5,827 Posts
    • 16,817 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Thanks for the birthday wishes - had a lovely quiet day .

We usually stay in NYD but have decided to visit Denaby outlet for a change .

I probably won't be on again so ;

Happy New Year
    Be careful who you entrust with the care of you vulnerable loved ones thereís a lot of bottom feeding scum posing as normal human beings !
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 31st Dec 18, 8:26 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 17,325 Thanks
    Peppapig
    I must have missed your post NIC, why on earth would anyone report you? Please donít disappear. I found some good needle felting tutorials on line so Iím definitely going to do it. Iíll start with a kit and if I get on ok Iíll branch out.

FREE Iíve taken all my decs down but not the outside lights, I canít bring myself to do it. I like the openness without the decorations but Iím really missing all the fairy lights. I was going to keep a set out, got them all arranged and then snapped the adapter trying to plug them in

Well as Iíll be partying later (actually watching tv or sleeping) Iíd just like to say

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 1st Jan 19, 10:31 AM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 169,489 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    Happy New Year to everyone!

Hope you don't mind but I am an intermittent lurker.

My tree will be coming down today, as I'm back at work tomorrow.

Have taken the cards down and put them in the recycling, I don't tend to have lights outside, so not much to take down.

We stayed in last night and watched some TV, namely "Birdbox" on Netflix which I enjoyed and found a little bit sad, to be honest.

See you soon hopefully! x
    Winging it since 1972
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 1st Jan 19, 1:07 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 13,794 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Happy New Year everyone!

Welcome to the thread Abbafan1972.

SPC No 043
    • Well Preserved
    • By Well Preserved 1st Jan 19, 1:38 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    Well Preserved
    If anyone's into stocking up well in advance on drink, noticed the Bucks Fizz in T*sco today reduced to £2 (50p off I think) will be in date into 2020.
    • Well Preserved
    • By Well Preserved 1st Jan 19, 1:41 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    Well Preserved
    Oh and forgot to say Happy New Year! I'm likely to lurk rather than post but might drop in occasionally if that's all right!
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 1st Jan 19, 4:09 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 13,794 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Thanks for posting about the Buck's Fizz Well Preserved. Not a bargain that I will purchase as I don't consume alcohol but might be useful to others - if you have the storage space etc.

Happy New Year everyone!

SPC No 043
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 1st Jan 19, 5:32 PM
    • 4,680 Posts
    • 28,598 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Happy New Year everyone

Hope 2019 is full of lots of good times and happy memories.
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 2nd Jan 19, 12:10 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 12,439 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!! We were meant to have friends and their families over for the afternoon on NYE but we had to cancel because of the chicken pox! So we had a takeaway and a drink and in bed by 9! Wiggle wasnít sleeping well but seems much better now and definitely through the worst. Squeak has been quite unsettled the last few days so we think he might come out with it soon.

Iíve started taking some decs down but I do like to leave my tree until the 6th January. As Iíve said in a previous post my biggest goal of 2019 is to completely declutter and organise my home. My thinking is that if we have much less stuff and if everything has a home then it shouldnít become a mess all the time Ė apart from the childrens toys of course. Hereís hoping!

Hello and welcome newbies!

nic what post was reported?? I canít remember what the post was but why would someone report it? Please donít disappear!

Wishing you and your families a happy and healthy year ahead. xx
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 2nd Jan 19, 12:39 PM
    • 3,925 Posts
    • 17,337 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Happy new year everyone!

Thanks for starting this years thread 3, good to see old names appearing and welcome to the newbies, you will learn a lot here!

Survived a very quiet Christmas in Ireland. My mum had a little row earlier in the year with a neighbour (batchelor pensioner who pitched up every day, trust me, there are only so many time that you can hear the same thing about the price of cattle!) and he ignored her. Anyway they had a love in Christmas Day, and now she can't get rid of him again! Once a week would be fine, but every day

Hope Wiggle is starting to get fighting fit now, but you know that he won't be the only one to get them.

Free, I was in a hotel in Dublin on NYE as I needed to be at ferry port at 07:00, so it was an early night for me, although I was woken a couple of times.

Ate too much, dread getting on scales
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 2nd Jan 19, 2:34 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 13,794 Thanks
    3forholidays
    The cards, and tinsel/decorations have all been packed away as back to work for me tomorrow - in Scotland we also get January 2nd as a public holiday. It will be good to get back into the routine!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 02-01-2019 at 4:23 PM.

SPC No 043
    • murie
    • By murie 2nd Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 9,941 Thanks
    murie
    My tree is down, Christmas is officially cleared away for 11 months! The rooms look bare now (and huge)- prime redecorating time methinks !!!
    lovin' this site!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

1,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• It isn't statistically representative true. But to say that tells us nothing isn't correct. It shows what people i? https://t.co/JBLu6Cd8a5

• Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of? https://t.co/NgYxaQDCnr

• Follow Martin