Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,307Posts
    • 13,794Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 7:08 PM
    ‘Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling’

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It’s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 13-11-2018 at 4:32 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975
Page 3
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 27th Dec 17, 12:48 PM
    • 7,830 Posts
    • 53,026 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I generally try and buy paper that is suitable for both adults and kids, as we have none of our own I don't really want or need to be buying kid specific paper for relatives. I do plan every year to have everything nice and coordinated in all the same paper under the tree, but then I always end up with LO paper from the previous year which I find I 'need' to use up first before opening new rolls ...so invariably my plans fall at the first hurdle.
    Given this year I only used about two and a half rolls and still have about 10+ in the loft, I don't need to spend out on any more paper in the sales...can't guarantee that won't stop me though!
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• vulpix
    • By vulpix 27th Dec 17, 12:48 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 16,474 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hi,Mr V at work today so I have just tidied the sittingroom whilst watching Victoria and got some washing on.We have a back log of recycling as the bin was already full from the party.

I have decided that Christmas in future will be simpler.Both decorations and gifts.I think the grown up kids can have money and a token gift,bought like you Peppa much nearer the time.I am not buying any wrapping paper no matter how much a bargain it is!I have loads and I find gift bags so much easier anyway.

O lord I heard a smash down stairs and now sweeping up of glass. Never mind ,only stuff.

MIL is complex and difficult without Christmas thrown in to the mix.Poor DH is upset every week after he goes to see her.I try my best to support him but it takes its toll.I said to DS earlier don't ever let me become a nasty old woman like she is.It is very sad but she will never change.Poor old Mr V works so hard,unsociable hours and has to always be cheery in his job whatever goes on in his private life.

I will give new year resolutions some pondering.One definitely will be to loose some weight.I don't want to feel uncomfortable on my posh cruise!

I watch the Kirsty craft progs and am amazed at how much some courses are.I think that some crafts are just not cost effective,even though I wouldn't mind a go.Eg glass blowing.I remember a teacher where I used to work came into school one Monday with a very misshapen wicker shopping basket.She had been on a weekend residential course,only £200.She had enjoyed it though.

What are you all doing at New Year?

Vx
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 27th Dec 17, 12:57 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,311 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Thanks for shiny new thread 3forholidays
    Had lovely if not a tad hectic 3 days seemed to go by in a rush lots of cooking and clearing up done by me so need peaceful few days to recover DH gone back to work today I am off till next Wed so plan in lots of me time to recover !! Might go to sales on Friday if anything left
    I agree with wrapping ideas my Dd3 only wraps in brown paper but uses shiny tags bows and curling ribbon in alternative colours for each person will try and load pic up looked effective but quite cheap.
    Will try and keep my tree upto 2nd Jan anyone got snow just pouring rain here.x
    February grocery challenge £200
    • murie
    • By murie 27th Dec 17, 1:31 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 9,941 Thanks
    murie
    We had a lovely 3 days but I will be glad of a bit of a rest today. Was spoilt and a very happy bunny on Christmas Day thanks to my lovely lot.
    re wrapping- I used 3 different co-ordinating papers this year (stags, tartan and plain red) as last year I used copper paper and navy blue ribbon which looked nice but all the presents were too 'samey' under the tree. I prettied the presents up with different ribbons, £shop tiny baubles and candy canes.
    Ive already bought DD's and DSis advent calendars for next year- Essie nail polish ones reduced to £10 on superdrug. I will try not to buy any 'bargains' throughout the year - mainly due to lack of space(but I cant promise).
    Sorry to hear that some peoples relatives haven't been full of the joy of Christmas - it does seem to bring out/make situations worse. Apart from a few sharp words to my Dsis we have been OK and not had any falling outs. Vulpix- I really feel for MrV in his position x
    I have started to take a few decs and lights down. I like to have them all mostly down by New Years although I leave the tree up til after. This tree is going to the tip as its not looking its best and I have bought a new 8ft one in the sales (which Im really excited about).
    Resolutions?
    Top of the list- lose weight!
    Try to stop being my own worst enemy mentally by worrying about things I cant change .
    Allow myself to fail every now and again without beating myself up about it.
    Try not to obsess abut my current 'fad' (says she after looking for a holiday in Rome for the past 2 weeks).
    lovin' this site!
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 27th Dec 17, 2:32 PM
    • 4,466 Posts
    • 43,190 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    I always thought I was alone in hating having my tree up after new year Mine has to come down before new years eve as I just cant start a new year with celebrations from 'last year'

I don't specifically go out to buy presents in the sales for next christmas, instead i'm part of the sealed pot challenge on the DFW board where I save all my change in a pot over the year to pay toward christmas presents (though invariably i've picked most up from may onwards so it's just a nice bonus for treats / holidays )

I currently have roughly 10 different styles of wrapping paper in my stash, 2 of which are generic designs so I use them for birthdays I do like to have seperate paper for family gifts and Santa gifts as I always worry that DD will ask 'why does father christmas have the same wrapping paper as you do?' she's that kind of girl I did read once that the UK throws away enough wrapping paper to circle the world 7 times (something like that) so once my wrapping paper is used up I would like to try and find a way to wrap without creating extra waste. I have seen videos of people using newspapers and fabric to wrap their gifts so maybe something along those lines, a few years away yet though with my stash!

Resolutions:

1) To try and play more games with DD, she's growing up fast so I need to enjoy her more while she still wants to play snakes and ladders and cluedo with me.

2) Try not to stress so much about christmas preparation, it always comes together in the end and nothing catastrophic is going to happen because I didn't manage to buy a chocolate log for dessert!

3) I will NOT try any new crafts this year! I currently have crochet stuff, jewellery making stuff, embroidery machine, fabrics, sewing machine, art supplies, general craft stuff, fimo clay . . . I do NOT need to learn any more crafts!

I am really looking forward to getting my living room back! I am not sure I can last till the 30th I did make musings about taking it all down today and DD was horrified!
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) £1779.72/£1000 (12) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25 Wins of 2018 £59
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 27th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    • 4,681 Posts
    • 28,598 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Hi all,

Well it's been and gone - all our gifts are still sitting in the lounge/bedroom waiting to be put away. Must try and do it this afternoon now I am home from work.

The wrapping paper - I usually have two or three designs. Was going to stick to one colour when I bought this time but was limited with my choice but have plenty so no more til that is all gone

Also need a big sort out of my craft drawers - lots of odds and ends that need using up but always too tempted to buy new stuff when. I see it.

Saving for next Christmas has already begun but am contemplating changing how I gift to the adults in other half's family.

When the tree comes down will have to dispose of it I think as I bought a pre lit LED one before Christmas at work as it had been reduced to half price and got my discount on top. Does mean I need slightly more decorations for next year as the tree is bigger but will cross that bridge another time.
    • msgigglewick
    • By msgigglewick 27th Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 11,800 Thanks
    msgigglewick
    Waves after a very up and down last 3-4 months, christmas actually was very lovely. In fact i'd love todo it all over again. Its not really over yet though we have the panto to go to on friday then on saturday off to my in laws by train (as the car is being silly) for a few hours to have xmas with them.

Sale shopping i've already got my brother, sister in law, other brother and step dad's xmas pressies for next year.. also a handful of gifts for my dd3. Just my nephew and mum to grab something for during the year then the rest is my girls and dh.. Hopefully won't be too hard to decide what to get lol.

I've been following the old thread off and on, will try harder with this one. Nice to see lots of people having good christmasses

Shall say happy new year now incase i don't get back until then lol

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE
    Totally debt free wohooo 2014
    Christmas 2014
    Presents bought **** rrp **** Saved ****

*SAVE*SAVE*SAVE*
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 27th Dec 17, 4:40 PM
    • 7,830 Posts
    • 53,026 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I'm just sat here chuckling to myself that this is the most Christmassy thread on MSE, and most of us want our decs down as soon as the big day is done

I was contemplating some cards in the sale because they're nice but I have a pack of 30 from last year still (free on O2) plus about 8 left from another free pack this year and half a dozen from a nice pack I treated myself to in the sales last year (nicest recipients got those ) so I'm really thinking if I need more as that should be enough for next year. Of course the worrier in me is thinking 'what if it isn't, what if I can't get any reduced next year for the year after? And (worst of all) what if I need more next Xmas and have to pay FULL PRICE for them?!
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 27th Dec 17, 11:12 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 9,336 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Well our decs came down Boxing Day as usual (although one year they did come down Christmas Day itself). Now I’m back to unpacking boxes from our move, it seems never ending but taking a tad longer as I’m reevaluating everything and most is off to the charity shops in the new year.
    Christmas was a nice dinner, queens speech and trash tv, just how we like it. As for New Year I don’t think I’ll have resolutions as such but as mentioned by others weight loss is a must, maybe see my new doctor and discuss alternative health/lifestyle changes and sort this new home out.
    I have promised myself to only come online once a week (unless it’s for info or news). I’ll keep Instagram on my phone but other social media can take a back seat as in my situation it’s too much time wasted. And I’m going to be frugal, managed this move without getting into any debt, so going to try and keep the habit with decorating and maintaining here. So I guess in a way these are resolutions.
    • kippers
    • By kippers 28th Dec 17, 7:46 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,034 Thanks
    kippers
    Just thought i would pop in and say.....i buy xmas wrapping paper every year in the sales as its cheaper and put it in the attic BUT i also buy xmas wrapping paper that can double as birthday wrap ie it has stars on / its gold / red with white spots etc etc and it looks beautiful with gold / white or silver curly ribbon during the year and no one ever knows. I save loads of money each year doing this lol
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 28th Dec 17, 5:59 PM
    • 3,688 Posts
    • 19,379 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    I always thought I was alone in hating having my tree up after new year Mine has to come down before new years eve as I just cant start a new year with celebrations from 'last year'
    Originally posted by jakes-mum
    My Birthday is 4th Jan, so I like the house to look festive right up til then, they come down 5th Jan.

BF picked up some cheap wrapping paper and cards the other day, we were completely out so had to restock. I'm never fussed about co-ordinating presents,
    I like a mixture under the tree as long as the paper is festive IDC.

Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Feb NSD's - 11/25 / Lose weight - 10.8 lbs / 6.8 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £342.15/£5000
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 28th Dec 17, 6:58 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 4,562 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Regarding wrapping paper, I like to buy different designs, traditional paper for my grandparents, I also buy a roll with a childish design for the animals presents. My dog loves unwrapping his own presents. I then buy gold and silver paper for everyone else's presents and use ribbon and bows to add colour.

I make my own tags out of old Christmas cards and ribbon and twine. And then I Will buy a few packs of tags to match the special paper.

I got some lovely Christmas boxed cards in G&Ts In October for a box of 12 for £1.00 which I thought was reasonable and they were very good quality cards. So will buy them again for next Christmas. I have a few left which will do a few people next Christmas. But I will need to get another box.

My resolutions:
    - I will do the crafts I have everything for first before trying any others. ( calligraphy, jewellery making, cross stitch, sewing kits, beadwork)
    - I will have more fun away from trouble at flats
    - I will go for a walk at least once a week.
    - work hard to rebuild my Health back up after being so ill. Through exercise, putting on weight and being happy mood wise.
    Last edited by Treasurequeen; 28-12-2017 at 7:00 PM.
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    £2 saver club #21 £40.00/£250
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 29th Dec 17, 10:39 AM
    • 4,681 Posts
    • 28,598 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Christmas pennies all spent on buying myself four simple craft dies and some plain coloured cardstock- I have lots of patterned papers/card but really wanted some plain. Will have a sort out of my craft storage and use up all the odds and ends in the coming weeks.

Gifts have all been put away so least everywhere looks tidier again now. Tree and decorations are still up. Will probably put them away beginning of next week and have a good clean round.

Hoping though for a trip to the beach on new years day. We did it last year and we had a great day!
    • Mischiefmanaged
    • By Mischiefmanaged 29th Dec 17, 5:44 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Mischiefmanaged
    Hi everyone

I've always lurked on the old threads and posted a little but life always gets in the way.

Gutted It's all over but I'm another that can't wait for all the decorations to come down but DH wants them up till after new year. All pressies were well received and put away. Got my mum and sister and extra present of an afternoon tea to say thanks. They do a lot for me in respect of my kids and want them to know how much I appreciate it. Mum was nearly in tears.

Been to town and the sales here were shocking. The best stuff was Christmas stuff was in the card factory but I've got so much stuff already I didn't bother. I always try to do brown paper too as it cheap and it's looks great with a bit of embellishment. I did get an absolutely beautiful box of decorations half price from Costco to put away.

I'm now sitting here working on my savings plans for next year xxx
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 29th Dec 17, 6:08 PM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 4,391 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Our tree/decks come down Jan 2nd then a good clean. No paper or cards needed except for birthdays. Nothing in the local sales worth buying
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 29th Dec 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 17,325 Thanks
    Peppapig
    I went to The Range hoping to get some baubles for next year and was really disappointed. Lots of signs saying 'up to 50% off selected lines' but not many of the lines themselves. Most of the baubles were reduced from £1.99 to £1.49 - that's not a sale in my book.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 29th Dec 17, 7:58 PM
    • 3,688 Posts
    • 19,379 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    My dog loves unwrapping his own presents.
    Originally posted by Treasurequeen
    My old girl used to love opening her presents, I used to love watching her get into her new toys. Our new pup is very interested in the present, but won't grab and pull at the paper.

I make my own tags out of old Christmas cards and ribbon and twine.
    Originally posted by Treasurequeen
    Oh! Thanks for reminding me! We had the sticker type this year, which were lovely and easy to use. But we are running low so I will do some cutting up when the decs come down and get boxed up.

My main resolutions for 2018 are:
    1) Get to my goal weight (22.2lbs lost in 2017, I'm aiming for another 50lbs this year)
    2) Pass my grade 8 Saxophone exam
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Feb NSD's - 11/25 / Lose weight - 10.8 lbs / 6.8 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £342.15/£5000
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 29th Dec 17, 10:15 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 16,474 Thanks
    vulpix
    Welcome Mischiefmanaged and any one i may have missed.

I too have been very disappointed with the Sales. The best I have seen was half price and 3 for 2 on toiletries in Asda.
    I would like some new duvet covers for our room.We have a superkingsize bed and I got so fed up of trying to change the mahoosive duvet cover we now have a single each.I have bought new red curtains and am looking for something in a dove grey.Please give me a shout if anyone sees anything. You lot are so good at spotting a deal.

Today I have been home alone and have had a proper tidy up.All gifts put away,wrapping and gift bags etc.Loadsa washing put away.Some sorting out of stuff to sell.I am feeling a big sort out coming on. I will start when the decs come down on 2nd january and have a good sort out before they go in the loft. The loft in general will be gone through and anything not needed will be sold.

I have been thinking about what i would like to achieve next year.

1.) Declutter the whole house so as to be streamlined if we get the chance to move to a bugalow.

2.) Sell shiz and save the money instead of frittering it away. I would like to make a contribution to a cruise in 2019 (60th).

3.) Loose at least 2 stone.Walk more.

4.) Be more sociable.try to make more friends in the village.

5.) remember to click the TY button on here! Try to upload pics here.

Vx
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 30th Dec 17, 12:10 PM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 17,900 Thanks
    nic2075
    Really loving having nothing to do. I can never fully relax as I'm too fidgety, but Im enjoying watching films with the kids and snuggling whenever we want. The beauty of working term time.

I'm still unwell, but I did end up at the hospital and the doctor on call on the 28th. I have been trying to shake a deep chesty cough for a month now. Then I got the cold on top a few days ago. This left me with shallow breathing and pains in my chest and back. So I relented and called NHS 24. I felt so guilty calling as it wasn't an emergency really, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get a doctors appointment until well into the new year. The doctor was lovely and said I have a very deep infection in my chest. I'm on amoxicillin. I really try and avoid antiboiotics, but my stubbornness was finally kicked into touch. It's only been a couple of days on the tablets, but already I feel my chest lighter. I know I should have went a couple of weeks ago.

What's everyone's plans for Hogmanay? Do you go out or stay in? I used to go to friends houses for New Years gatherings, or they came to me. But no one seems to have parties anymore, all have kids I guess lol. I'm babysitting my 1 yr old Neice along with my own 3. I'll be in bed early.

I have a very big decision to make in the new year. Regarding an offer of a house and moving. But it's a differnt village, which involves changing the kids schools. My eldest has just started high school. It's also a way smaller house. I have so much stuff :-( I don't want to move at all. But it's cheaper rent, council tax and more secure. My head and heart are torn trying to figure out what is best.

ETA- it was the doctor on call center I was referred to at the hospital, not A&E. Wouldn't have ŵent there woth a cough. Still felt guilty though.
    • lazysheep
    • By lazysheep 30th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 3,848 Thanks
    lazysheep
    nic - glad you finally relented! I hate having to take even painkillers for a headache so I get where you're coming from but sometimes we need a little hand when something is just not getting any better and to stop us feeling so miserable. Hope you feel much better soon.

Peppa - I'm surprised there was anything left in the Range, usually in my local one it's all sold out about a week before Christmas for decorations etc. I agree though, that's not really a sale.

I like to keep the tree up for New Years, although some of the other decorations will be put away before that. Tree will probably come down on Monday or Tuesday (may be a 2 part effort!) so that everything is back to normal before I go back to work on Weds. Haven't even bothered looking in the sales as I was quite disappointed last year. I find it easier to get things throughout the year on offer. Don't need any cards or wrapping paper either
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,640Posts Today

7,586Users online

Martin's Twitter