Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,154Posts
    • 60,024Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2018 and beyond xx 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    Last edited by mum2one; 18-01-2018 at 1:59 AM.
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 33
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 2nd Jan 19, 12:01 AM
    • 7,085 Posts
    • 17,374 Thanks
    Anglea
    Happy New Year everyone.

My friend is staying her last night with me today (Jan 1st) then returning home tomorrow. We've been on long walks since DS1 and his g/f left on Friday and done geocaching. Still got lots of Christmas food around, I froze as much as I could and my freezer is totally full, still got some cheese, cream, cakes etc which I'll be eating this week.

Coming up in January I've got two birthdays, one only needing a card sent and the other is DS2 who will need gifts, this week my main priority will be cleaning the house. I'll be keeping the tree up until last moment but luckily I didn't have as much decorations and a different tree to previous years so easier to tidy.

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 2nd Jan 19, 6:08 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,981 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    20 selection boxes bought today at 38p. Emptied into starving student DD food bag for when she goes back to uni. Was very surprised when the one I had went thru alot cheaper and a member of staff helped me get more.......think he was going to pick up a few boxes himself when he could.

Anglea I bet u will miss ur friend going. I've been trying to ram as much food into every available space in the freezer. Still have alot of chocs and biscuits.......I'm glad I didn't buy alot for home before Christmas. Have also put a few of these into DD food bag as my DD is a grazer and her BF will locust thru stuff aswell.

Also have 2 birthdays this month. One card to send tomorrow and one parcel to send next week. Updated my 2019 diary today so I'm actually ready for 2019!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 3rd Jan 19, 4:15 PM
    • 7,085 Posts
    • 17,374 Thanks
    Anglea
    Friend bought me a couple of smaller diaries (that I use for to do lists, handbag etc) but the shops run out of the normal one we both use before Christmas, I thought that was surprising, I'm hoping to find one soon as I've been having to write my daily updates in the back pages of my 2018 diary.

Yes it does feel a bit odd Happy Kitties to be on my own at home, it was the smoothest Christmas ever and really nice to have someone around, she's really unhappy in her own house (jinxed with bad neighbours ever since she moved in -police involvement scenarios and other problems) so we may try and find a way to spend more time together even maybe she moves into mine but there's not room really for another person even though it's a fairly big house but full of stuff. So it would be a big job to try and clear it so anyone else could move in.

That's a brilliant bargain with all those choccies.

• chanie
    • By chanie 4th Jan 19, 3:30 PM
    • 2,201 Posts
    • 11,752 Thanks
    chanie
    I saved £16.80 on some reduced Xmas items in Sainsburys today. I bought: a unicorn hottie for my niece, a drinking glass for DS (stocking filler) and a hair brush set as a spare gift.

I found a children’s umbrella at the back of my wardrobe which I will also give to my niece. I had originally bought the umbrella for DD, but then a relative gave her one, so it was going spare.
    2019 savings on purchases £294.86
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • chanie
    • By chanie 5th Jan 19, 4:36 PM
    • 2,201 Posts
    • 11,752 Thanks
    chanie
    i popped into Sainsburys today and bought another roll of wrapping paper which was reduced to 30p and some more pac man drinking glasses. This now means I have a couple of spare gifts for when the children are invited to birthday party’s. I also picked up some Star Wars pens for DS stocking. Total savings of £11.60.
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 5th Jan 19, 4:47 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Asda had a few little bits yesterday too. Kidís Disney mini nail sets with a polish and nail dividers, 25p. Theyíll be ok for little stocking fillers. They had other bits for 25/50p..Bath bombs and lip balms and rubbers, also lots of 25p wrapping. I got a few rolls of my little pony.
    Book a week challenge 31/52. Money made on cashback and survey sites £48.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 6th Jan 19, 11:52 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,981 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Everyone is getting some great bits and pieces-the unicorn hottie sounds brilliant ChanieAnd some fab savings aswell, I love it when u get a great present but u've saved money in the process

I do wish I had a Sainsburys near me, the only time I get to go there is when I go to hospital which is nearly 2 hours away.

Haven't really done much else. Have packed away presents bought so far. Hoping that the Card F@ctory will go to 75% so I can get some more paper and gift bags.

Need to get the present sorted that I need to send and pick up a card. I'm already late with the first birthday.........I'm better at Christmas than birthdays (although I have most of DDs for next month).

Anglea I really feel for ur friend with the bad neighbours. A few years ago we lived opposite nightmare neighbours. Police always there, fighting. It was awful. Pleased to say that there are nice people who live there now but stressful at the time
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 10th Jan 19, 12:38 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,981 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Frustratingly because I have been full of cold I couldn't be bothered to have a look at the c@rd factory and missed their 75% sale yesterday.

I have plenty of everything left over , most special cards are in but did manage to pick up a Christmas box today when I went in for a birthday card. It had gone up to full price but they over rided the system and I got 75% off it so I'm happy.

Have a couple more bits to pack away.
    Have most presents bought now. We went to our local garden centre a few days back and I picked up a lovely reed diffuser set reduced. I only picked up one, wish I had picked up more now. Going back tomorrow for tea and cake so I'm really hoping they have some left
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 10th Jan 19, 4:23 PM
    • 7,085 Posts
    • 17,374 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone.

I've managed to finally get a page per day diary I wanted but it's smaller than I really wanted, the alternative would have been WH Smiths at £10-15.

Something to think about for emergency planning - get a spare phone on a different network than your usual mobile.

This week not only did my home broadband go down for 24 hrs , but just as it restarted then my mobile network went down and has been out of action since yesterday evening (network 3) I downloaded their app for weak signals and I can't even use that as my sim card isn't recognising the network - so totally useless.

Luckily I can use the computer today to send fb message to my friend but as my parents and most other people I know don't use fb I had to go round and see them this morning to say my phone is out of action.

And my new phone has only a network 3 card on it too lol

Poundland are selling off 6ft Christmas trees for £1.25, no idea about quality. I didn't buy anything in any sales so far as I haven't seen anything suitable. There is a lack of suitable shops where I live.

• chanie
    • By chanie 13th Jan 19, 10:18 PM
    • 2,201 Posts
    • 11,752 Thanks
    chanie
    Saved £18 on two pairs of men’s slippers in Costco. The slippers were £5 instore and a quick g00g1e on my mobile showed them selling for £14.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th Jan 19, 10:32 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,981 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Chanie I was going to post that I hope u were keeping track of the great savings u have been making and then I noticed ur signature-that is an amazing amount already for 2019.

Need to post a birthday present, running abit behind and still need to wrap DD presents as she is back in 2 weeks so she will be able to take them back with her as I wont see her on her birthday which I hate.

The couple of special cards that I needed has been solved.
    Picked up some really cheap 3D posh cards from Morris@ns and a pack from Tesc@ for 40p yesterday which will do the job nicely.

Also picked up a spare present- bath bombs in the shape of macaroons for half price so have popped them away.couple of things still to pack away but have been having a thorough clean while packing away things.
    I did manage to pick up more of the reed sets-I only went and knocked over the sample out while getting my sets.
    Presents for others all done now. Just need to work on Christmas presents for DD as I see them and my DM who is a nightmare to buy for, going to keep my eyes open for anything she might like throughout the year but if my DM needs anything she will go ahead and buy it straight away for herself.......she currently has 3 kindles
    • Ginalina
    • By Ginalina 18th Jan 19, 10:59 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Ginalina
    nice to hear
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 18th Jan 19, 12:12 PM
    • 7,085 Posts
    • 17,374 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone,

I've got to wrap a present/write card for DS2 to take back with him (as he's here on a visit) as birthday isn't until next weekend and I must remember to mail a card to someone else, the same date as DS's but as I won't have anything to do for him, I really hope it won't cause me a problem and overlook the second one.

This weekend I'm attending a Wassail and have made a wreath for my head, next special occasion is Valentine's and I'm in the process of making a gift for my friend, I was sneakily trying to measure things in her bedroom yesterday when she was in another room. DS and I were there for lunch.

Fortunately she seems to like all my hand made gifts, her bedroom seems to be a shrine to them and she also has things in other rooms. I don't think I'll make anything for Christmas or birthday as I'll be running out of ideas although I may make some nice cards for her.

I wonder how Katiehound is doing on the cruise.

Happy Kitties - did you break the sample reeds or were they ok when you knocked them over?

Chanie as usual you're doing really well with bargains.

Hello Ginalina to the group.

How are you crazy-cat-lady?

• crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 18th Jan 19, 1:30 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    All good here thanks Angela. I had a big sort out of everything in the presents cupboards yesterday. Found I had more things than I thought i had. Especially cards. Theyíll all come in I suppose. B&M has some last bits reduced that I picked up to put away. Kidís hat and glove sets £3.99 to 10p. Santa, reindeer, Christmas pudding and a penguin. So one of each. My little girl loves penguins so she already claimed that one and is wearing it to nursery.

Iím having a big push to get a head start on my crochet cat blankets for rescues and my scarves for the homeless. By this Christmas I hope to have a big pile of both to donate. If I start big early on Iím ahead for any months I canít make as many.

Wreath making! Very jealous. Only tried a few times and Iím not very neat. I would love it if my friends and family wanted to swap handmade gifts. How perfect.
    Book a week challenge 31/52. Money made on cashback and survey sites £48.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 20th Jan 19, 7:44 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,981 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Angleathe Wassail sounds amazing, u will have to report back to let us know how it went. I've never been to one

Fortunately I didn't break any reeds but the oil did spill everywhere. I popped the reeds back in, didn't realise I had got so much oil on my fingers, ended up getting it in my eye. I did smell nice after but it was a mess at the time.

CCL great result on the kids hat and glove sets. Much admiration on the cat blankets and scarfs. My DD and I support an animal charity that does auctions and I've a few extra bits in to donate something throughout the year.

Have been doing the decluttering challenge on another thread and just putting together my second bag of items for Cats Protection. Went to drop a bag of items in the other day and found a Molton Brown handwash bauble that someone had donated so came out with that.
    I know Katiehound was very lucky with a M. Brown set in a CS, mine wasnt as cheap as Katiehound's find but very happy as it's a favourite of DD-both the charity and the product.

While wrapping DDs birthday presents I wrapped her first Christmas present. Need to get cracking on the birthday presents and if I'm really in the mood will wrap the bauble aswell. Was going to do it last night but fell asleep.

Still sleeping alot at the minute after the cold as my immune system really drops.

Not much else going on, have almost packed away everything now.
    Still need to wrap and send birthday present.....really putting it off......must do it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,199Posts Today

9,260Users online

Martin's Twitter